How long did it take you to do your Extended Essay?

Bishup

I'm curious enough to pose the question of 'how long did it take you'. Just wanted to see how many days it took to construct the essay and the research in between. You can also mention how long you spent researching.

So far I have been on mine for 5 days. Complete apathy means that I take a long time to get into it.

I started to choose my topic in May. My research months were May & June, and I started writing in July, i was like 10 days. Then I handed other drafts which took me like three days in correcting the drafts. I chose to do my EE at a slow pace, because I didn't wanted to rush over it, if not I won't recieve a good mark.

I 've been working on mine for 10 months, but I'm an odd bird considering the rest of my class mostly did it all in the last month. I began gathering sources in Jan, had an anotated bib in Feb, then I created a research proposal in March/April and had an outline in May. In addition to my outline, I also had pages of notes so that I could pull information already citatated easily into the essay once I starting working on it. I worked on my essay during the entire summer, constantly writing, rewriting and revising. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with it, though I still have loads to do.

• Like 1

I 've been working on mine for 10 months, but I'm an odd bird considering the rest of my class mostly did it all in the last month. I began gathering sources in Jan, had an anotated bib in Feb, then I created a research proposal in March/April and had an outline in May. In addition to my outline, I also had pages of notes so that I could pull information already citatated easily into the essay once I starting working on it. I worked on my essay during the entire summer, constantly writing, rewriting and revising. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with it, though I still have loads to do.

Crikey that's a lot. Very thorough, I like that and paced for that matter. I'm doing all my writing and citing these 2 weeks. I'm planning on finishing it in a week's time which isn't too ambitious at all. BTW what are you doing yours on? History EEs seem to take less time than Scientific EEs I tend to figure.

Crikey that's a lot. Very thorough, I like that and paced for that matter. I'm doing all my writing and citing these 2 weeks. I'm planning on finishing it in a week's time which isn't too ambitious at all. BTW what are you doing yours on? History EEs seem to take less time than Scientific EEs I tend to figure.

Hehe, yeah I was quite excited about my EE. Plus, I really wanted to make sure I was ahead so I wouldn't have to worry about too many things at once. Mine is about Chronic Illness in Adolescents, which doesn't seem quite so cheery but I find it really interesting. :blink: What is your about?

I think I did 'research' for about 9 months... research meaning 5 minutes of browsing random internet articles followed by months of avoidance then 5 mins and repeat!

As and when I remembered kind of thing! There was MUCH dithering :blink: I couldn't think of a title, so I was just reading random things hoping inspiration would strike. Then when I finally wrote it it was just before the deadline so it was 2 solid days of pain, including New Year's Day ;___; And I gave my essay its title after I'd written it :P

We had to start thinking about it in about July last year, but there wasn't any actual work done until about October/November. I researched for about four months, and within that time I wrote little bits of it up, cause we had a first draft due literally on the second week of school in February. And then refining (cutting down words) for another four months, and then it was due in late July. So all up, almost a year. Not constantly working on it, though. From memory, the syllabus or whatever it's called for EE says you should spend 40? hours on it.. you need much, much more than that.

We had to chose our subject and topic at the end of last year, around september-october. I chose the poems and then fully annotated the poems with my analysis around then, which took like one day maybe in total? Then during the summer, durin the week after New Years Day I spent 5 days in a row first organising my analysis into a framework, handwriting what I wanted to put under each heading, then writing it up. Then it took me another 2 or 3 days to get it into the word limit, and I periodically checked it during the summer but didn't do much. Our drafts were due as soon as we went back to school in Feb., and when I got the draft back I changed one thing but that didn't take so long. So overall I would say it took a bit over a week of solid work. Research didn't take me that long, only like a weekend (you don't have to do as much research for an English essay than you would for say a history essay).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A ridiculously long time. My question was to do with what effect does the Australian Government's First Home Owners subsidy has on the house prices in 3 suburbs in Victoria, Australia. I interviewed real estate agencies, State Revenue office, Department of Sustainability and Environment, Uni of Melbourne, Department of Treasury and Finance just to name a few. Collectively over 60 pages. Concluded that it doesn't actually improve affordability if all other factors are equal (ceteris paribus). One of the toughest yet most interesting things I have ever done!

• 1 month later...

I wrote my draft in a day but I did a lot of research for a whole week. I finished it early November? However I redrafted my essay about 10 times, no joke. Overall, it took me a few months to completely finish it, as there's always things you can improve on...

Choice of the topic was like 3 days in February of previous year. Then a long break, and I came back to it at the end of August to do my experiment (as the EE was in Physics). It took 2 days, (I assumed one day, but it turned out to be more complex than I thought), and then whole writting of the first draft took no longer than one weekend.

The longest part of my writting were the final corrections to hand in the final version of it. They took about 5 days, whcih gives a total of ~2 weeks spent for EE throughout whole year (I handed it in in January this year):D

Guest Red XII

I did mine in history. I spent 1 day finding books, 2 days researching over the summer, 2 more days researching during the school year, one night writing the rough draft (it was an all-nighter), and one night revising it for the final draft. I did the bulk of the work the night before the rough draft was due.

• Like 1

I'm curious enough to pose the question of 'how long did it take you'. Just wanted to see how many days it took to construct the essay and the research in between. You can also mention how long you spent researching.

So far I have been on mine for 5 days. Complete apathy means that I take a long time to get into it.

I've done an EE in english A1..

A few hours reading and initial analysis

4 afternoons analysis

5 afternoons rewriting

6 hours on a saturday redrafting

2 on a sunday

8 or so on another saturday

writing my final

which I think tallies to up to 45 hours.

I wrote my 4000 word draft in about 6 hours straight :D

I already had all my research and knowledge done though, but i didn't really do much because my topic was an interest of mine and i already knew quite a bit about it :)

And the feedback on my draft was that it was really great and i don't need to change much now :)