How to Study for Physics? Textbooks, Resources and Tips?

Quajafrie

Guest surentripathi

Try: http://www.saburchill.com/physics/physics.html

Then click on one of the links on the side and you'll find quite a few questions on all the topics covered, i haven't checked the questions on the options but still I think the side is really good for practice, it also shows how to derive some of the formulae which is useful if your teacher requires it.

Has anyone seen the new physics book that should've just been released? The one published by Oxford University press? My teacher said she'll order it and see if it's any good, but if anyone has any experience of it, please share, because I'm seriously screwed in physics atm and need a book...

Does the Tsokos book contain exercises that resemble the past paper one? Because if it's just theory I already have a theory book, the huge Giancoli book, but it's really useless if you want to practice.

There are exercises as well as theory. I haven't seen Giancoli book so I can't say which one is better, but I think that Tsokos book contains enough exercises;)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone seen the new physics book that should've just been released? The one published by Oxford University press? My teacher said she'll order it and see if it's any good, but if anyone has any experience of it, please share, because I'm seriously screwed in physics atm and need a book...

ya i think i saw the this year's 1st year ibers at our school wondering around with that new book your talking about... and from a brief look i had on it, its more elaborate than the book im using "Physics for the IB diploma Standard and Higher Level, by Time Kirk".

as for exercises the Tim Kirk have lots past papers questions bt im not sure about the other book...

Guest mr_whatsisname

well i have the green book (yes, the one tha looks like a brick) but i don't find it all that useful. Tsokos's book is kindah helpful at times...but giancolis is the best in my opinion...i though use notes printed by my teacher on every subject..nice, compact and easy to understand (although i cant seem to get the hang of waves XD)

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that Phisycs has a lot of math to it which you can practice from any of the great books the people posted here, but you also have to remember to study the IB notation and terminology as well as the theories they teach, because most phisycs books are focused on the math rather than theoretical situations like the IB test.

Try the "Physics, Giancoli/Prentice Hall" it's really good for advanced Physics and has a lot of theory to it too.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had some trouble with the Mechanics unit and the Thermodynamics unit, and was wondering if anybody knows some good links as revision sources and practice problems. I don't have a textbook so all I can rely on are the notes I took in class which I'm sure are flawed.

Hi, I had some trouble with the Mechanics unit and the Thermodynamics unit, and was wondering if anybody knows some good links as revision sources and practice problems. I don't have a textbook so all I can rely on are the notes I took in class which I'm sure are flawed.

Hi I just did those two topics and I dont rly have a textbook either. I'd say its well worth the investment to get the ib physics study guide by Tim Kirk (I've just ordered mine :) ). My friends have it and its really good.

I've found the Physics Compendium to be the most useful when it comes to understanding/revising:

http://www.vasa.abo.fi/vos/vosusers/tillman/compendium.htm

Its so much better than any notes I've ever made

This site isnt too bad either:

http://www.saburchill.com/physics/physics.html

The SAT II physics notes on sparknotes.com are also very useful:

http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/

Hi I just did those two topics and I dont rly have a textbook either. I'd say its well worth the investment to get the ib physics study guide by Tim Kirk (I've just ordered mine :) ). My friends have it and its really good.

I've found the Physics Compendium to be the most useful when it comes to understanding/revising:

http://www.vasa.abo.fi/vos/vosusers/tillman/compendium.htm

Its so much better than any notes I've ever made

This site isnt too bad either:

http://www.saburchill.com/physics/physics.html

The SAT II physics notes on sparknotes.com are also very useful:

http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/

Wow thanks so much, the links are really helful, especially the first one! I can't believe we've gone through basically 1/3 of the course without a textbook

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody used the physics course companion from Oxford for the new curriculum? At the moment we use the IBID book, but my physics teacher has had to cross out entire pages of it due mistakes, not just in formulae, but also conceptual mistakes. We use the course companion for biology and think it is really good, so I was wondering if anybody has had any positive or negative experience with the physics version. If not, could people give the various ways they study for physics and the books they use.

Thanks

Has anybody used the physics course companion from Oxford for the new curriculum? At the moment we use the IBID book, but my physics teacher has had to cross out entire pages of it due mistakes, not just in formulae, but also conceptual mistakes. We use the course companion for biology and think it is really good, so I was wondering if anybody has had any positive or negative experience with the physics version. If not, could people give the various ways they study for physics and the books they use.

Thanks

Its pretty good... and so is the giancoli physics textbook - i havent come across any significant inaccuracies in those

BUT whatever you order make sure you (also) get the physics study guide by tim kirk!!!! it has everything with concise explanations and uses the exact ib formulas and gives the perfect notes to study for ib with... its all i use most of the time

if your not having a lot of trouble with physics and just want clearer notes the study guide is PERFECT but if you need some real explanations get the course companion or another textbook