How to Study for Physics? Textbooks, Resources and Tips?

Quajafrie

Hey , for anyone who takes Ib Phyics SL. Umm so we got a new teacher this year, totally new to Ib, and i have this hunch that he doesnt know what he's doing. :P So for now i want to see if we're studying out of the right book. Its "Physics, principles with applcations" from giancoli, and we look at both the 5th and 6th edition. i was trying to get help with a question on the internet, and it turns out this is the book AP uses, sooooo........... can anyone tell me if this is the right textbook and if not, which one should we be working on. Thank you :)

I was almost in the same, i'm using "physics" wilson-buffa-lou, and i thought my teacher had no idea of what we where doing ( still thinking it haha ) the important thing is that you get to know the stuff that the ib asks and to get your labs well done ! :) ( that's why i'm still doubting about my teacher :P, because I had one before that really new what she was doing and this one is aghh never mind... ¬¬)

Hmm we are using the same (I think book) but mine just says "Physics" 5th edition, same author. However our teacher gave us Standard Level Physics Developed Specifically for the IB Diploma by Chris Hamper and Keith Ord (it's a Pearson Baccalaureate book). Our physics teacher is awesome and knows exactly what he's doing so I think the book you got is fine but you can also try to grab that SL physics book too. It follows the objectives very strictly :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so exam are near... and though i have worked hard on lab reports i am concerned with the syllabus mostly as of now!

So my teachers advice was to concentrate on Paper 3 and lab reports... as they are a booster to your grade.

But i am also concerned about Paper 2.

Currently following the Tsokos text, and problems are pretty challenging yet interesting. But in addition to reading and practicing problems any advice.

And a few tips on acing labs as well as studying would be great!

Know what is in your data packet first of all. Know what pages are what etc so you can save time by not needing to flip through pages looking for one thing. I don't really know much about studying for physics really, except reading through notes and doing practice problems.

FYI, if I remember right a 7 on paper2 is around 68%+ sooo a C is a 7 :D

Practice with past IB papers until you are familiar with the type of questions that usually come out, memorise definitions, know your concepts well, memorise formulas that are not in the data booklet..

Could someone suggest a text book to follow.... cause I am following Tsokos and want to know if its all right?

I have the same textbook. I think many people use it btw. I find the questions there very challenging.. Don't forget to read all the things in the yellow boxes, it's usually a very important point in a chapter. I don't know if it's alright but my teacher uses this book solely and kind of never uses our study guide :) I find its explanations quite clear already though. Having a study guide would be an extra advantage.

• Like 1

The biggest problem about IB physics is that they dont cover everything detailed enough. Sometimes we are given formula's we which are not told where they have been derived from. However one intriguing thing that I have found is that the Tsoko's book actually provides supplementary material which can be very beneficial. It provides a better overview of the topic. So as a higher level student i suggest perhaps atleast taking a few minutes reading the supplementary material in each chapter. Other books do exist, but I believe this book is as close to the syllabus as it can get. Another point to note, the internet is your friend. ;) There is no harm doing a little more reading on the internet after each chapter to get a better understanding of the topic :yes:

• 1 month later...

So...here's how it goes. I'm taking Physics SL this year as well as the next, but the teacher is new to our school (and America for that matter). He's from Romania, went through the IB program there, and has majors in Physics, Math, Bio, and Chem that include over 150 credit hours from a Romanian University. In other words, he's pretty much a genius, but the only problem is that no one can understand the poor guy.

Thus, I need some serious Physics help. I've been trying to do some independent studying, but our Purple Physics companion textbook is awful. Do you guys know of any helpful websites and/or videos that can help me and my class out?

Thanks.

So...here's how it goes. I'm taking Physics SL this year as well as the next, but the teacher is new to our school (and America for that matter). He's from Romania, went through the IB program there, and has majors in Physics, Math, Bio, and Chem that include over 150 credit hours from a Romanian University. In other words, he's pretty much a genius, but the only problem is that no one can understand the poor guy.

Thus, I need some serious Physics help. I've been trying to do some independent studying, but our Purple Physics companion textbook is awful. Do you guys know of any helpful websites and/or videos that can help me and my class out?

Thanks.

This site saved my life in physics. I finished Physics 20 (grade 11) with a 92 because of it =] Hope it helps for you. They also have physics 30 which is for the grade 12 curriculum, as well as help for the diploma. I'm not sure how it is in the states in terms of material covered, but there's probably a lot of similarities.

http://www.studyphysics.ca/

• Like 1

Thanks.

You don't happen to go to Jasper Place in Edmonton, Canada do you?

• 2 weeks later...

The exams are coming and it would be useful to have a Study Guide for HL physics. What Study Guides do you guys have? How many pages? Do they have exercises? Are they easy to understand? Do they cover everything in the syllabus? And of course: Which Study Guide is the best?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new physics book that should've just been released? The one published by Oxford University press? My teacher said she'll order it and see if it's any good, but if anyone has any experience of it, please share, because I'm seriously screwed in physics atm and need a book...

I suggest you but the Pearson Baccalaureate book, it's awesome, and it explains everything in a comprehend-able manner!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys..

I am studying my IB diploma...one of my HL subject is PHysics...i have to say i dont know why but it does not work well...basically we are in 4 in class and the teacher is not good at teaching..i have always been very good at physics and at maths HL i am as well good...but because i want to get a 7 eventually for my physics i dont know what to do...how cn i manage you think?should i start the book from scratch myself?any other advices for text books?

Thanks