What do you do to get motivated?

Harmonicgirl

Omg, first of all it is great to see there are so many inmotivated people (even though thats not good butttt you get what I mean) I feel your pain, I am in a terrible school, and I know that no matter how hard I work Im stll going to get low points because some of the teachers arnt even qualified teachers!!!! :argh:

Therefore I am finding it hard to want to do that over due lab or that practise TOK essay as I basically know at the end of these stressfull 2 years im probably going to fail or barely scrape the 24 points, if I was in a better school I could probably do better! In my old school I used to get all &s... ALL 7s.. but now, now i am im scraping 4s

I NEED motivation, can anyone help this lost soul

P.S no matter how much i make study plans etc, once i sit down, i do nothing, also by the time i get home from school, the last thing i want to do is school work :help:

Omg, first of all it is great to see there are so many inmotivated people (even though thats not good butttt you get what I mean) I feel your pain, I am in a terrible school, and I know that no matter how hard I work Im stll going to get low points because some of the teachers arnt even qualified teachers!!!! :argh:

Therefore I am finding it hard to want to do that over due lab or that practise TOK essay as I basically know at the end of these stressfull 2 years im probably going to fail or barely scrape the 24 points, if I was in a better school I could probably do better! In my old school I used to get all &s... ALL 7s.. but now, now i am im scraping 4s

I NEED motivation, can anyone help this lost soul

P.S no matter how much i make study plans etc, once i sit down, i do nothing, also by the time i get home from school, the last thing i want to do is school work :help:

Can't you switch to a different and more experienced IB school? It would take alot of that weight and stress off your shoulders.

Don't give up anyway! You can find motivation through so many things. Talking to friends or family, thinking about the future, keeping diaries and writing down all your thoughts. And most importantly, take breaks! You'll wear yourself out otherwise.

Can't you switch to a different and more experienced IB school? It would take alot of that weight and stress off your shoulders.

Don't give up anyway! You can find motivation through so many things. Talking to friends or family, thinking about the future, keeping diaries and writing down all your thoughts. And most importantly, take breaks! You'll wear yourself out otherwise.

Unfortunately I cannot move schools :) but you're right! Thinking towards the future and most of all in my case taking a break will help, I've started making a planner for better time management and hopefully I stick to it! Thanks for your advice XD

• 3 months later...

I'm actually one of the only IB students in my school that does not procrastinate. I sleep EVERY night no later than 10-10:30 and I am a member of Varsity Basketball and Track. If anyone wants tips let me know... I'm only in year 1 btw

Hey there nour_rashed,

I'm currently having my summer break and will be joining IB1 on August 17. I've already gone though MYP. I did, however, have some problems with my time management, I procrastinated a lot, and as a result, I had to skip a lot of days in school, which I know could affect my grades in IBDP. I read this post, and I was just wondering, what are the tips?

Thanks a lot,

Roshan/hardandfast

Speculate about life and question the works of life. Don't think of the matter as something with feelings attached. Imagine the matter which you need to deal with as something that entails no further then simple action from both mind and body. It makes me just get on with it.

Although this is a slight bit crazy, although crazy for most people can be a convention. I shout into my pillow and under my duvet so I avoid disturbing too much and it sort of focuses some of my energy in order for me to get on with other matter. I know some of you might think this is bull**** but whatever makes you tick.

And also just tell yourself I need to grab this piece of work and 'grab it by the donkey's ********.'

I think a good moral is ' do something, whether it be small or large, as long as it makes your goal more conceivable and within reach.'

Small activities such as taking your pen and drawing an outline will trigger the will to fulfil something of a more substantial importance and before you can procrastinate you'll have done part of your assignement.

Imagine the moment when you are sitting in front of your computer, filling in you password to reveal your grades...

Then, do you want be nervous about that IA you procrastinated so much and could have done so much better or do you want to feel that you've done your best?

• Like 2

Not that this is all you should do, but I found that listening to certain kinds of music really helped when I was studying or writing essays, etc.

I actually wrote my entire Philosophy A1 essay (non-philosophical stimulus) to the thrumming beats of techno mixes on YouTube. That stuff pumps you up until you can't NOT work. That and Schubert's 'Death and the Maiden'. It sounds like a really crappy heavy metal song, but it's actually one of the most intense string quartets ever written! It helped me a lot. Also, listening to 'Eye of the Tiger' before you go into ToK class is hilarious and surprisingly helpful. You concentrate like your life depends on it.

I found that keeping a log on my computer (or on paper, whichever helps you do the whole 'stream of consciousness' doo-dad) for my various essays and impending exams really helped. Not only did it chart my actual progress, it also helped me blow off some steam. I would enter something every day. Even something small. I'd enter an idea, or refine a previously-entered idea, or even add a source I thought might be interesting, etc. Sometimes I'd just rant about a setback for two pages, then the next day I'd go over it and turn it into an essay to practice style and form. No joke. Pretty soon I was ready for hardcore techno and a tube of pringles at the computer for some draft-writing!

• 1 month later...

The only way I find I can motivate myself very easily. is by trying to worry about exams and grades. I find that if I get worried, I'll be eager to hit the books. Another way in which I motivate myself (which may sound weird to some of you) is by imagining how much more other people in my class are working. This mainly works because I'm a very competitive person, so thinking about other people studying actually motivates me.

Competition keeps me motivated. I know that some people say that it can be unhealthy simply just trying to beat someone else marks-wise, but it works for me. I'm usually one of the top 2 or 3 people in a class, and I want it to stay that way :P

Another thing I do is try to think about how much longer I'll be able to sleep if I get something done right away haha

What motivates me is definitely the worry of, "If I don't do this right now, I'll have a lower grade than what I'd receive in the first place if I did it sooner, so do it now!" But what really motivates me is actually starting on the work itself. As soon as I accomplish something, I'm on a roll. Nobody, nothing can stop me after that :P

• 2 months later...

LMAO @ 1st POST :sadnod:

I was exactly that way until one day I seriously FORCED myself to do 10 hours on my EE and then the next day I worked for 12 more hours and got a ROUGH,and I mean ROUGGGH, draft done. Then a month later I spend 11 hours in the college Library downtown and basically rephrased the whole thing..Now my teacher is reading in and I'll prolly spend another 10 hours working on it over Winter break then turn in it and YESSS!! DONE!!!

oh and I did the same thing for my History IA

AND Just a tip for people in year 1 of IB........GET ALL YOUR STUFF DONE BEFORE YEAR 2!! :D Love you all and best of luck...I AM SO HAPPY IM CLOSE TO BEING DONE !! OH YEA LET ME JUST GET THAT OUT THERE!!!

I have A LOT of different motivation strategies which I use depending on my mood and the situation:

* I made this choice and by hell I'm going through with it! (heh, my stubborn streak isn't showing there, is it? :D)

* What if I fail and end up as a cashier on the local supermarket?

* I'm not really trying to make sense out of a couple hundred random strange things, I am building the foundation of my life.

* Think about how proud my family and friends would be if I made it.

* I can do it if I try, so why don't I?

* No way in hell I'm letting those primary school bullies be right!

Those are just a few ones but the one I use the most is the third one. :sadnod:

I also have a small whiteboard with an inspiring quote which I see the moment I step inside my door. The quote stays about 1 months, I write another quote as soon as the first one becomes so normal I don't notice it's there anymore.

(ex. of quotes: Be like a postage stamp - stick to something until you get there, John Billings; Life only demands from you the strength you possess)

Edited by Sparkling

I sometimes just get these random periods where I actually want to study, do my homework, or anything of the sort. But yeah, they're not that often as I need them to be.

I usually get motivated by thinking: "The other kids can do it, why shouldn't you? You can't let the rest of the class make you feel stupid if you don't know something!!" Or I just turn on the "music for concentration" and get my books and stuff out, it helps me get of the computer most of the time :P Or I just talk to smart people, read about smart people or watch something about them and that gets me going... though only for a short while :P