Psychology HL a quick course?

Varun Manoj

We've started our IB Course in May(2010) and my final IB exams are in May 2012. My HLs are Psychology, Math and Economics. Psychology was totally unexpected but my counselor suggested it over Business and Management (besides, I had some sort of interest in it). Let me tell you guys my state, we've completed the Biological Level of Analysis and the Cognitive Level of Analysis--which is like 2/3 Paper 1--and I just realized that I have only socio-cultural left (which I'm estimating to finish in a two-three weeks). I know topics for Papers 2 and 3 are yet to begin, but my real question here is 'For the May 2012 exams, am I moving at a normal rate?'. This question popped up because we are the first batch in my school doing Psychology.

The Course Companion for IB Psychology (John Crane) is my like my bible and my sole reference book as of now, along with http://cranepsych.edublogs.org/. I would also appreciate if you guys can suggest (if required) more/better references, and I also need to see a sample for an Internal Assessment.

Thanks for all the help. :wub:

Yes you ARE moving at a normal rate....However I dont know how long you're term is or for how many months you've been doing IB so IF YOU HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ABOUT 2-3 months THEN ITS OKAY...Otherwise you should check with the IB supervisor of you're school.

As you can see from Crane's site, if you are HL he likes to cover the entire core syllabus (bio, cog and socio) in the first year. The 2nd year is reserved for the 2 options and for qualitative research methods. As long as you are on track to complete the core during the first year then you will be just fine.

I think you'll find my blog a satisfactory reference as it's more detailed than Crane's in some aspects. I also have several sample IAs - click IA at the top.

Thanks a lot for letting me know about my progress and about the blog (personally I find it very impressive). Could you just let me know if studying from the Course Companion for IB Psychology is enough?-If not, could suggest some additional references?

Thanks again. :)

The Course companion is definitely meant to be the definitive resource and if you only study from that I'm sure you'll get your 7. What I like to do - and what you have to do in uni - is look for updated research to evaluate existing research which is what I try to do on my blog. If you have additional research not mentioned in the course companion you are sure to wow the examiner. But I would not say this is required by any means to achieve a 7. If you know the course companion inside and out then you'll be more than fine.

Let me know if you need any assistance with the internal assessment.

And thanks for the compliment on the blog :) I'm going to start building this wiki as well so it's not just my revision notes but everyone can add to it.

Edited by blindpet

Yes, you're about right. I'm half way through cognitive having just started my second year and Ive also done all the content for paper 3 and the IA (: The problem with studying straight from the text book is that it gives you alot of information that you don't need, so you'll end up revising lots of different things for a question that only needs one example. What I will say is that you can NEVER have too many studies. as long as you make them relevent. there's no point in chucking in studies which arent related or which you cant discuss (:

Edited by Natalie Marie