Textbook and Study Guide

youngbloodz

Really for me pearson, is difficult to understand, it has much of vague information, I started to love IBID (I am using the both), you can look at ibid, really a nice book. Even the questions are good, make good revision and also challenging.

What does IBID stand for?

It is only the name of the publisher, i think it stand for something, but i do not know for what..

I started with the course companion, but I found it hard to understand, not engaging, and I just didn't really like it.

Then my class switched to the swirly purple-y pearson book and I found that much better, much easier to understand, I liked how at the end of the chapter it had past paper questions to test yourself on. The big downsides are that it doesn't come with the options (our teacher just gave us photocopied sheets so it wasn't much of a problem) and it can be a bit too simple and miss some stuff or not give adequate explanations. Also, there are plenty of mistakes in the book, especially with the answers to questions that they give.

• 4 weeks later...

BEST IB CHEMISTRY BOOKS EVER are the ones written by Lanna Derry ( Published Pearson Aus) . They are extremely comprehensive and explain in a way that is easy to understand. Book are in colour and has lots of diagrams and end of each chapter has revision questions as well as a topic test that has real IB Chemistry questions

The books are written by an Australian IB Teacher and is the books used heavily at Victorian IB Schools such as MLC, PLC , Carey , St Leonards and Wesley

You get a gauge of the depth considering there are 3 books to cover the whole course and each both is about the length of the Neuss Course Companion and they are much easier to understand than damjii and green and all questions have worked solutions on the CD ( most valuable asset of them all)

The three books are

IB Chemistry for the IB Diploma Standard Level

IB Chemistry for the IB Diploma Higher Level

IB Chemistry for the IB Diploma Options

NOTE each book covers the area of syllabus listed, hence if you are study HL you would need to buy both the SL and HL Book. IMO you don't need the options book. Just persuade your school to purchase a copy and read from it as you only require two of the options.

But yes they are amazing books so I would recommend you check them out

Edited by wazii
  • Like 1

Hi I'm new here. We just had mock exams and I did really poorly :). I've forgotten most of my past material and would like to catch up. What do you guys think is the best textbook/website to relearn everything? I have the IBID textbook from John Green and Sadru Damji, and the study guide. Should I buy anything else?

edit: nvm just read the thread >.>, I'm going to get pearson. Can anyone tell me if I need to get both SL and HL if I'm in HL.

Edited by Frozeneric

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm new here. We just had mock exams and I did really poorly :). I've forgotten most of my past material and would like to catch up. What do you guys think is the best textbook/website to relearn everything? I have the IBID textbook from John Green and Sadru Damji, and the study guide. Should I buy anything else?

edit: nvm just read the thread >.>, I'm going to get pearson. Can anyone tell me if I need to get both SL and HL if I'm in HL.

just the HL one

it has everything

literally the best book out of all the chem books

• 1 month later...

Good resources for IB chemistry include:

*Chemistry Course Companion by Geoffrey Neuss, Oxford, 2010.

*Chemistry for the IB Diploma Study Guide by Geoffrey Neuss, Oxford, 2007.

*Higher Level Chemistry for the IB Diploma by Catrin Brown & Mike Ford, Pearson Baccalaureate, 2009.

You must get definately the course companion or the pearson book. The pearson might be quite expensive and heavy, but explains concepts clearly.

The study guide is short and consice. Great to read it after you grasped the content of the other books.

IMO you should have a textbook (course companion) to study from because that's where concepts are explained to you. I use the IBID textbook and I find it to be pretty good.

The study guide is good to have but it isn't essential. It basically gives a short summary of concepts and is good for studying. They lack detail sometimes though, but it is only meant to be a summary I guess XD I use the same one that bigbangfan used (Chemistry for the IB Diploma Study Guide).

Just a tip: If you want to buy the study guide, the cheapest place to buy a new one is online. I bought mine from The Book Depository. Here's a link: http://www.bookdepository.com/2nd-Revised-edition-Chemistry-for-IB-Diploma-Standard-Higher-Level-Geoffrey-Neuss/9780199151424

For some reason study guides are pretty expensive in Canada (at least where I've looked), and they're about half the price if you buy them online. Or buy one off an old IB student, I'm sure some are willing to sell theirs :P

Hello IBS, i need help.

Should i buy the Perason Baccalaureate Chemistry Textbook by C. Brown and M. Ford?

I got the Course Companion by G. Neuss, but our teacher and I concluded that it wasn't enough. He comes to my house to teach my chemistry, i don't do it at school.

So: Should i buy the Pearson Baccalaureate or is there anotther book? (I'm worried because the Pearson Baccalaureate one is quite expensive...)

Hello IBS, i need help.

Should i buy the Perason Baccalaureate Chemistry Textbook by C. Brown and M. Ford?

I got the Course Companion by G. Neuss, but our teacher and I concluded that it wasn't enough. He comes to my house to teach my chemistry, i don't do it at school.

So: Should i buy the Pearson Baccalaureate or is there anotther book? (I'm worried because the Pearson Baccalaureate one is quite expensive...)

Get the pearson baccalaureate one, i highly recommend it. Its concise and covers all areas of the syllabus. Oh and, its very colourful, which for me.. is a must!

If you're a person who loves reading, (which i am not) then i recommend the Chemistry textbook by John Green and Sadru Damji from the IBID press.

It is very very wordy and gives a lot of detail. It is very good on the links with TOK, so probably it would help if you're thinking of doing your TOK essay/presentation on the natural sciences.

PS. I don't think the Course Companion is at all good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So im in Chem HL i want to buy textbook, course companion etc. What are necessary? (We dont get the textbook at school)

Thanks

We've started using www.ibchemistryonline.com

It's a new online textbook. Lots of stuff, questions and tips. We use it alongside our Green and Damji. You can access it anywhere and costs and weighs a lot less than other "books" :P .

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, i have brought the both study guide and course companion. (the newest editions by Oxford University Press, Author Geoffrey Neuss). I was studying bonding for example, and some parts where better explained in the textbook rather than the course companion and vice-versa. Both course companion and text book and pretty similar but i would say that having both course companion and study guide-the course companion would be much more helpful. The study guide is similar to notes you take, its short and doesnt go into that much depth. If for say you do Biology then i would strongly recommend the study guide as the course is not as rigorous as chemistry. The chemistry study guide would help but if you are looking at getting your money worth, the best it course companion. Also remember not to buy the old course companion that follows the old syllabus.

You could buy the study guide with a group of friends and just scan it or use it with each other as its pretty small and has only a few hundred pages compared to the course companion

Really for me pearson, is difficult to understand, it has much of vague information, I started to love IBID (I am using the both), you can look at ibid, really a nice book. Even the questions are good, make good revision and also challenging.

What does IBID stand for?

IBID is a publisher that specializes in textbooks for IB, I haven't tried there other textbooks but their Business one is one of the best,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HayashiEsme

The Chemistry book by G Nuess to me, is Science with a Humanities perspective: it's great for context, and laying down the foundation for abstract concepts, but the Pearson Baccalaureate one has a special place in my heart. Everything from the history, the exam techniques, to the minute details in each topic is explained crystal clear in that one. I actually have all 3 of the books (one or two, I got from...sources, heh) , but I find myself reaching for the Pearson one most, and then using the Nuess book as a supplement if need be:)