Help! They won't let me change to maths standard!

kwnath

I'm 4 weeks into the ib in year 12, I'm taking the following classes:

HL Business

HL Geography

HL English

SL Physics (considering changing to DT since I have no idea what goes on in class...)

Chinese B1

Maths Studies SL

I really want to get into UC Berkeley but I'm afraid that they won't accept me simply because I don't take

Maths Standard... I have no idea what to do, I've asked my ib co-ordinate and she says I have to ask permission

from my current math teacher... she said no...

Wouldn't I need Maths standard to be even considered into UCB?

I think that it would be really hard for you to change from math studies to math SL if it's been you second year. it's harder compared to studies and you have missed a lot of things which I doubt you cant catch up. any other university u wanna go to?

but there is this real story:

somobody wanted to go to a top university which accepts IB students with minimum 40 points. he scored 38 but he wrote a really good extended essay and he simply get accepted just because of the EE.

you might have a chance and you might want to work really hard. if you score like 43-45, they might consider you, I think

Hey you...dont say that ur just not smart enough. cmon dude, be positive, it's IB -__________-" theres too much stress-ness and negative-ness and hell-ness so you gotta be positive ok :)

why didnt you think about this when you were still in grade 11 :) it would've been much much much much much much easier...I switched from SL to HL to SL to HL for i dont know how many times in grade 11 ;D

anyways...why dont you talk to your math studies teacher and ask why he/she doesnt let you move to math SL.

after that..talk to the math SL teacher...ask him/her whether she's gonna accept you or not

if he accepts you, go back to your ib coordinator...tell him that the math SL teacher accepts you...and see how your ib coordinator will respond to that.

but i do think that it's pretty hard...cuz you're in the 4th week of grade 12 rite...that's tough man, you've missed a lot, seriously.

well if you can get extra tutorials..and if you are willing to give up your hang out time and your weekend, then u should tell your IB coordinator.

i dont know if youre close to your parents or not...but go talk to them...and if they support your choice, they'll help you to find math sl tutorials and stuff and get them to talk to your IB coordinator. probably he'll listen to your parents more compared to you. another thing for you to consider...the math IAs. Ask your friends whether they did any math IA in grade 11..i think they mustve done one of the two IAs. if they did...well you got A LOTTTT to catch up.

have you found info about UCB requirements and stuff?

go browse...are u sure you really need math SL to get there? Check on the bachelor programs as well...which one do you wanna take? usually if you take like arts or music or performing or whatever, you wont need math SL..so it really depends on what you wanna take in uni as well. Is UCB your only choice though? why dont you consider other unis as well

I would that if its your 1st year for IB, then try as much as possible to change to SL, however, if its your second year, just kill yourself in the rest of the IB subjects to get a high IB grade (40+) and you should get in without a problem. (Unless its something that requires a lot of mathematics like Engineering or Physics).

Apparently, the Extended Essay is also very influential in the decisions of Colleges!

Good Luck!

Edited by Music4Ever