How many HL courses are you allowed to take?

rotteneye

minimum 3 HL, maximum 3 SL for the diploma.

which means you can do 4 HL and 2 SL, or even 5 HL and 1 SL (which would be tough, I think)

but if you wanna take 2 HL and 4 SL, you cant get the diploma, can only get the IB certificate.

taking 4 HL is possible and in fact there are people doing 4 HL in this world. I am also (trying) doing 4 HL, but I might drop one of the sciences sooner or later :)

if you want to take 4 HL, your IB coordinator might talk to you first about how tough it would be and such consequences..so think about it. if it is not so necessary, why getting more pain&burden doing 4 HL while you dont necessarily need 4 HL. otherwise that's the requirement of the course you wanna do in uni and/or some other strong reasons.

but yeah, it might be tough. but if you do need to do 4 HL, go for it. however, you might try first (like me) and if on the way you feel like it's too much and you cant take it anymore, drop one of the HL subjects.

talking to teachers, parents & seniors is highly recommended.

Our classes except for a few aren't really divided into HL and SL. We worry about that during our senior year I believe. For my HLs can be English, History, Math, Biology, and Spanish. There is no SL for English or History so I have to take HL for those two. That means I'm left with Math, Biology, and Spanish, and I don't know if I want to do 3 or 4.