Teenage suicides as a TOK presentation topic?

PeachesOMG93

Hey guys. I am planning to do my TOK presentation on 'Teenage suicides'. My knowledge issue would go something like this. 'To what extent can emotion and reason drive a teenager to commit suicide?'. I live in India and this is like the most talked about issue here.

For my real-life situation, I have a past experience where a friend of my friend's in my school committed suicide because he failed his 20 mark class physics test. There are also many movies depicting teenage suicides. Some books like the Chicken Soup also talk about it.

I am planning to link this to emotion and reason and for my AOK, it could be something like Maths and Psychology.

I don't know my counterclaims. I also need more Areas of knowledge.

My teacher is not being very helpful.

I really need more substance to the topic and need to know how to go about it.

What do I do?

I need help asap.

Any topic can be good, I find it quite grim, very sad just like i nthe film '3 idiots' where the guy suicides when he fails his engineering assignement. More to the point, I'm not so sure the is a strong reason for suicide. People who do commit suicide in this situation don't know what else to resort to after having failed, so I feel it's kind of like a lack of reason to continue/carry on. So the debate isn't really present in that aspect in my opinion. However emotion does come to play but there again it seems to fall in the category of one set of emotions. You really have to think is there a knowledge issue, where is the debate. Think along those lines and you're there.

This sounds like a possible topic, but I think your knowledge issue could be improved. Remember that a knowledge issue is usually very abstract and not about something specific and this is rather specific. I suggest that you change into something like "How do the WoK influence your decisions?" Still not very good, but better.

YOu seem to have a lot to talk about, and that's good, but I don't see how maths and psychology enter into it. Furthermore, if you have two AoK, you don't need more. Two is perfectly enough.

;)

This sounds like a possible topic, but I think your knowledge issue could be improved. Remember that a knowledge issue is usually very abstract and not about something specific and this is rather specific. I suggest that you change into something like "How do the WoK influence your decisions?" Still not very good, but better.

YOu seem to have a lot to talk about, and that's good, but I don't see how maths and psychology enter into it. Furthermore, if you have two AoK, you don't need more. Two is perfectly enough.

;)

Yeah. Two AOKs are enough but maths was not a very strong AOK in the first place. SO :(.

Edited by Mitali

Any topic can be good, I find it quite grim, very sad just like i nthe film '3 idiots' where the guy suicides when he fails his engineering assignement. More to the point, I'm not so sure the is a strong reason for suicide. People who do commit suicide in this situation don't know what else to resort to after having failed, so I feel it's kind of like a lack of reason to continue/carry on. So the debate isn't really present in that aspect in my opinion. However emotion does come to play but there again it seems to fall in the category of one set of emotions. You really have to think is there a knowledge issue, where is the debate. Think along those lines and you're there.

Yeah. That is true. I guess I will have to look for more topics. Its really hard ;).

• 1 year later...