HL Textbooks

chokophilia

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our School uses the Mathematics for the IB diploma. It is a good book, although I dont have much to compare it to. Also, you can get a 'worked solutions' book. It has all the answers, with working out to all the questions. It is very useful. I'm constantly photocopying pages out of our teachers... I should probabally get one of my own.

Textbooks are important but should be the least of your concern for Math HL. I used the Haese & Harris textbook alongside the Pearson textbook for some core but mainly options (which was quite exceptional for the latter in particular). Focus on completing as many past papers as humanly possible (minimum 2006 onwards) and critiquing any error you make to ensure you never make it again. Do this with your teacher who will provide guidance and advice.

The IB questionbanks which can be accessed from the internet will be your best resource for past exam questions and the ease in which you can focus on a specific topic thoroughly is crucial.

• 2 weeks later...

We use the Oxford Math HL. It is also very nice. Has TOK and EE help at the end of every chapter and also has exam style questions in the end. You also get a soft copy with it. You could also try understanding Pure Math, although it is out of our syllabus but a-level uses it and so it is quite handy.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Haese and Harris and it is way too easy compared to actual IB questions.

I also use the old(as in not the new edition) Oxford book. It has some decent Math HL worthy questions and past IB exam questions.

So I recommend the Oxford book for questions and the Haese and Harris book for colorful pictures and diagrams.

• 4 months later...

Hi please visit www.pitaurus.com. Click on "Enter Here" button, then click on "IB DP Math" link and then on the "Useful Links and Downloads" link. You'll find resources on Syllabi for 2014 and past papers for HL, SL and Studies.

For more information, please email me at "[email protected]". I can share ebooks on math and love to extend any help there on.

Thanks.

Venkat Kadari.

Edited by Venkat Kadari

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone who says the IBID textbook is good can go away. The stupid author who wrote it clearly does not understand that worked solutions are essential to learning in math. the solutions manual for the 3rd edition is near unobtainable.

I like the book a lot but if you have such a problem than the Pearson one would be the best choice for you. If you buy the e-book edition there are worked examples for the questions and pdf files that cover all the options. It also comes with a ton of ideas for IA and TOK

Anyone who says the IBID textbook is good can go away. The stupid author who wrote it clearly does not understand that worked solutions are essential to learning in math. the solutions manual for the 3rd edition is near unobtainable.

When you are solving the problems think about the stuff you have learned form the book so far. The answers can be answered you just have to think back and remember everything it teaches you. If you have problems with some particular question post it here I am sure people will be happy to help you out

Sorry for double post

Edited by ~Lc~

The IBID Math book is really mediocre honestly, but not as bad considering the quality of their other textbooks. If you need something simple, don't hesitate and just buy the Pearson IB Diploma book (it will do wonders for you).

However if you're really keen on Math and want to expand some of the concepts explained in Calculus, Trig and Precalc, buying "Single Variable Calculus: Early Trascendentals" by Stewart is completely amazing. You might even need it for your university studies (at least in Canada they do). But just buy it if you're a math freak and you have the cash to pay for it (it's close to $150).

• 2 months later...
Guest Lognarithm

We used the Stewart book for AP Calc BC junior year, it's great for learning the calculus portion of math. Now we use the Cambridge HL books, which are alright but mostly review some older stuff which we need to go over. Fair warning, the Cambridge book's solutions in the back are mighty horrible when it comes to statistics, but everything else is mostly fine.

Edited by Lognarithm

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...