TOK PRESENTATION - On Pakistan-England cricket match fixing scandal

asian

I wanna do my TOK oral in a pair about the cricket case where Pakistan was accused of spot-fixing in the England tour

These are wat im considering:

- Media Bias

- AOK- History , since pak has a history of doing and being accused of match fixing

- Personal Opinion, i am paki so i believe their not guilty so i might be biased

- Showing quotes by both Pakistani and English players. And showing the difference in them.

- Also, ill take a class vote on who believes that the players are guilty after showing the video, and then again after the presentation

So does this sound like a good idea??

Well it's not much of a knowledge issue since it was fixed and pakistanis are big cheats and always have been. The only reason for him to do it was so that he could make money so I'd argue it isn't that good of a topic and you can find out a better one.

Well it's not much of a knowledge issue since it was fixed and pakis are big cheats and always have been. The only reason for him to do it was so that he could make money so I'd argue it isn't that good of a topic and you can find out a better one.

sorry but were they proven guilty yet. isnt there a possibilty that the Brit media is framing them.

The same thing happened in 1993 when two of the best bowlers in the world, pakistani ones, were accused for match fixing ,but nothing was proven against them. The player accused is one of the best bowlers in the world at the moment, at the age of 18! I think that there trying to destroy his career.

PLease hav a look at this article where a pak player is accused of ball tampering.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1314414/Shoaib-Akhtar-caught-camera-ball-tampering-row-sours-Englands-win.html

look at the 2nd picture. look closely at the original picture and at the close up. Notice the distance between the bowlers hand with the ball and the laces on his pants in both the original picture and the close up. There not the same. Seems to me like hes beeing framed

Edited by _Sherry_

The thing is not whether they cheated or not, but you haven't got a KI. I suggest that you read advice on this site or wlesewhere about a YoK presentation before you continue. It's a possible topic, but you have to treat it in a different way.

:S

Cant i make one about the reliability and bias of the media?

or say somthing like since Pak had a hisotry of cheats, is it ok to say that they will cheat again.

The thing is not whether they cheated or not, but you haven't got a KI. I suggest that you read advice on this site or wlesewhere about a YoK presentation before you continue. It's a possible topic, but you have to treat it in a different way.

:S

Cant i make one about the reliability and bias of the media?

or say somthing like since Pak had a hisotry of cheats, is it ok to say that they will cheat again.

Yes, you could. For instance you could talk about whether it's OK to say that just because something has happened a lot of times before, it will happen again. That could be a great presentation :)

• 3 weeks later...

i want to use language as a WOK - language through media.

the media created an image of the pak players as cheats before they even had their court hearing.

also, the way that they got the proof was because a reporter for the newspaper acted as an illegal bookmaker and made the deal with the pak players. So, for one of my KI's ill say: 'was it ethical for the reporter to act as an illegal bookmaker, which makes it look like he set them up.' is this a good KI