subjects to choose for ib1

Laura Brandén

this year i'm going to preDP and i wonder what subjects i'm gonna choose next year.

i really want to study abround, like japan. wich subjects would be the best ones to pick? i'm kinda thinking of choosing HL economics, physics and math SL first language, english and enviormental sience, but are thoose really a good choice?

HL economics, physics and math SL first language, english and enviormental sience

Nearly any subject combination you choose will be good. Unless you wish to study something scientific at university in Sweden than you'd need all 3 sciences Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Econ, physics and math HL open many doors but beware these subjects are hard but I'm sure you can cope. I'd advise against against enviromental sciences in case it might considered a soft subject. Instead I advise you do a language or if not then a second science such as chemistry or biology

Do you want to study abroad? Out of your country? Since you mentioned Japan, are you interested to study ONLY in Japan; or are you willing to study in the other countries, too? If you are surely going to Japan, language might not be such a problem for you. If you are also going to apply to universities in other countries (esp. the English-speaking ones), you might want to think again.

Since for the SL, you mentioned first language, English and Environmental Science (ES); I am assuming that your first language is not English. Me too, actually. So I am taking Indonesian (my first language) A1 (literature) and English B (language for communication). Since I also want to study abroad, a lot of people encouraged me to do English A1, but I'd have to say that I am not that good in English, and my school is not offering A2 (literature, and language for communication, combined). So I end up with Indo A1 and Eng B. However, to go abroad, most universities would be glad if you are doing English A1; but if you are not, they would require you to do Eng A2 (Higher Level/Standard Level) or at least Eng B HL. Which means that you are not expected to do Eng B SL. That is what my IB Coordinator told me. It might be true for some universities, it might be not. FYI, there is not so much difference between Language B HL and SL, and the papers are relatively easy, so it is actually safe for you to do English B HL.

At this point I will just say that A1 SL is already challenging, thus taking it at HL might somehow torture you too.

I would agree with Bishup regarding ES. Most unis will prefer Chemistry/Biology to ES. As you might have already known, Chemistry would require you to be good at memorising and calculation, while Biology would require you to be good at memorising only. Looking at your HL plans, you seem to be good at calculation, thus I would encourage you to study Chem.

What do you want to study in uni? If it is a more-science-related course, do Physics HL and Econs SL. However if you love Econs more than Phy, go for Econs HL and Phy SL.

You might want to take a look at my subjects selection as shown in my signature below. If you notice, I used to take 4 HL subjects. Now I have made up my mind and decided to drop my Chemistry to SL. For now, I would then suggest you to take:

Your first language A1 SL

English B HL

Economics HL

Physics HL

Math HL

Chemistry SL

4 HL, 2 SL. This would be a good one if you do not know between Phy and Econs which one to take at HL which one at SL. I guess you are capable to do it. Just do it until you feel how difficult one is compared to the other one, and finally decide the levels.

Talking to parents, IBC, teachers, seniors and researching university prerequisites might also help.

• Like 1

Choose subjects you're very interested in. Then select those that are best for your "future." If you want to study sciences in university, then you're good, just be prepared to work very hard towards a high score in HL Physics and HL Math, both of which take time and dedication. Also, if you would like to study sciences, you should, as said above, move out of Environmental Science into Chemistry, and if not Chem, then most defiantly Bio.

If you would like to study in Japan, I'd recommend moving out of Environmental to Japanese if your school offers it. If not, I'd suggest moving to Chem/Bio.

this year i'm going to preDP and i wonder what subjects i'm gonna choose next year.

i really want to study abround, like japan. wich subjects would be the best ones to pick? i'm kinda thinking of choosing HL economics, physics and math SL first language, english and enviormental sience, but are thoose really a good choice?

The other guys have great suggestions about the subjects, so I'm not going to intervene, except to point this out: don't take environmental sciences, it's considered a "soft" subject like ITGS and will not win you acclaim at university.

The thing though that is interesting is where you want to study. Going abroad is a great idea; by all means do it. I wouldn't recommend Japan though... trust me, I've lived there, and I had a great time, but it's not the funnest or most outgoing place for college students. Westerners are extremely isolated.. the UK and the US are probably best for uni if you're looking to have a community of people like you around. Plus, keep in mind there are few really good universities in Japan.

Ultimately though, it's your choice.

Calm down, if you're entering Pre-DP tight now, you have another half a year to go. But what do you want to study? Economics? I also sugest that if you know what you want to study and where (then you're lucky), then you check up universities in that country and their entry requirements. It might also be a good idea to check up several universities in various countries, but this is only if you know what and where youäd like to study.

Otherwise, just wait and see. You'll have a whole year before IB starts and most likely, it will be possible to change. At least it was in my school.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I had always wondered. Why do most people take economics hl over history hl? (again as seen from the above advices given) Is it really true that economics is more 'practical' than history per se? And what are its advantages really? please enlighten me :D

Edited by sprintdominator

I personally think that Econs HL is more worth doing rather than History HL. History is not offered in my school, though. Econs HL can bring you to Business course in university while History HL seems cannot. My teacher said that Econs IA is the easiest IA among all the humanities subjects (Group 3) IA. You just need to find articles and make commentaries. I do not know about History, though. And I personally do not really see the importance of taking History HL, unless you are very interested and need it for uni. As from my experience, Econs is quite easy (I do learn the HL topics, too) and fun :D

It sometimes depends on what you want to take in uni, though. If you do not need it, just don't take it!

If you wish to apply to an English university, I would actually say go for what you would achieve the highest 'points total' with. You need to worry about being accepted on the grounds of your overall first, its all English unis are intrested in. Seriously if they want a specific subject at a certain level they will ask on their requirements for said subject you wish to apply for.

Also my advice would be to do Maths at standard level for at higher level it is a massive increase on the demand of work for you.

Good luck with your choices!