What are books that you have had to read for school that you absolutely hate?

JoeG

Romeo & Juliet.... AWFUL play. I like Shakespeare as much as a balanced, sane person can like Shakespeare (he's kind of a BAMF when it comes to language) but I just thought that the plot was something the world could do without. I know that times were way different when it was set, but there is no way that two emotionally under-developed, melodramatic tweens so infatuated with each other that they ignore the consequences of their actions and the impact that it has on EVERYONE around them (seriously...the entire city was affected by it in some parts).... where was I again? Oh yeah. No way does that qualify as true love and anyone who says that relationship sets the standard for relationships everywhere needs help.

1984.... I like the politics and the dystopian theme, but I'm just so frustrated with people trying to turn Winston and Julia's political relationship into a romantic one. The Party had so distorted relationships between people that I highly doubt those two would be capable of what we consider a romantic relationship. That being said, they were as much in love as they could be considering the circumstances. It's really not the book, it's the people that think that every book needs to have some sort of romantic aspect.

Can I just say that Agnes Grey was an awful book too? I'm genuinely sorry that Anne didn't seem to inherit the Bronte gift her sisters did. I think Agnes is the most ridiculous, unrelatable character I've read about, except perhaps Bella Swann from That Series That Shalt Not Be Named. Agnes is far too perfect, righteous, and unchanging. The constant moralizing drives me crazy.

Anne had a lot of talent, and she was the youngest of the three Bronte sisters.

Critics claim that had Anne not died earlier, she would have surpassed her older sister, Charlotte, in writing.

It's such a tragedy :(

Istanbul: memories and a city by orhan pamuk

things fall apart by chinua achebe

Orhan Pamuk's work is already torturing in Turkish, and they make poor innocent people read that **** in English? So sorry for you...

Istanbul: memories and a city by orhan pamuk

things fall apart by chinua achebe

Orhan Pamuk's work is already torturing in Turkish, and they make poor innocent people read that **** in English? So sorry for you...

i knw right atleast someone understands the pain we go through due to our school taking such suckish choices for novels..... :'(

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dead Famous by Ben Elton - it was a pre-IB summer summer read given with the intention of having us read something during the vacation. The teacher said she wanted to give us something easy that we would enjoy. I have never ever hated any book more than this one.

Oh, and the Catcher in the Rye was far from my favorites... I just could not connect with it.