What are books that you have had to read for school that you absolutely hate?

JoeG

• 1 month later...

Romeo and Juliet (pre-IB grade nine) is probably my least favourite. I know it's a classic and all, but since I had already heard the storyline 2000 times in my childhood, having to read it in Shakespearean language was painful. I didn't pay much attention to A Midsummer's Night Dream either. I guess I'm not a big fan of Shakespeare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay for PRE-IB I had to read A Splendid Exchange, the history if trading. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo horrible. I didn't have to read this but older IB kids before me had to read Salt. So we've got long boring books about the history about trading and salt, interesting choices, no?

Sad face at someone hating Marquez :P Love his work.

I have to say that the worst I read was The Taming of the Shrew. The end's just a steaming pile of crap, really. And Othello was not all that better.

In fact, the latter actually provoked me enough to call out Shakespeare in my English class and accuse him of poor character development and lacking imagination. That sure got people quiet. But my teacher took it well, surprisingly.

Anthem by Ayn Rand (pre-IB)

I have read MUCH better books outside of class. It wasn't even THINLY veiled philosophy, she just ranted outright and then tried to sort-of-kind-of mix a plot in. :P

Sounds like the exact same thing as Atlas Shrugged.

And the sad thing is the number of people in the States who love her work (although I would at least hope they favour her political/philosophical tenets, however misguided/incomplete I personally feel they are, and not her literary talent, which is rather insubstantial.)

Edited by Proletariat

• 1 month later...