Chances

Forester

Ok I'm going to begin answering your concerns one by one:

1) Recommendations: you need 3 of these. 2 from class teachers and one from an external 'counselor'.

Now I suggest that if there's any teacher your friendly with, get a reco done from them. (PM me if you want to give a sample reco to your teacher). Regarding the 3rd recommendation letter, I would suggest getting it done from the head of your school. But it can also be from a teacher in your school who your close too.

2) SAT SCORES ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT. Sure they hold great relevance but believe me, after speaking with various admission officers I found that people with VERY low SAT scores also get in to great schools. Simply because their personal essays and high school grades were pretty awesome. CONCENTRATE ON YOUR IB. SAT should NOT be your main focus. Keep it as a priority though. For average SAT scores I'll put a link below for a website i used for admissions.

3) Take SAT 1 and take SAT 2 Math and English. Considering you've taken Math HL and English HL....SAT 2 shouldn't be so hard.

4) Doesn't your school offer Computer Science HL or SL? That would have been a better option. Regardless, Your subject choices are fine. Keep the grades up!

5) Your Extra Curricular's are great.

6) Are you SURE you want an Ivy Legue education? The workload is high and the pressure can be tough. Also be aware that some schools have 300 people per class while some Uni's have less than 20. You HAVE to figure out what kind of environment you want. Other factors such as weather, Social life and International friendliness should also be looked at.

7) Check out UCLA and Santa Clara. Vey good for Comp Sci. You need to know wether you want to be in a small school which will give you a good education or if you want to be in a big school which will give you a brand name.

Finally use http://www.collegeprowler.com, its a very good site and ranks colleges based on student's opinion. For each college it even has an admissions section which has the average SAT score of each school and other info.

Feel free to ask me any more questions you may have. And yeah, you don't necessarily need to College Confidential. We're good too. :P

Edited by Guest

3) Take SAT 1 and take SAT 2 Math and English. Considering you've taken Math HL and English HL....SAT 2 shouldn't be so hard.

As I've said above here, is dropping Math HL 5-6 and taking the Math SL exam (where I should be able to get a 7) better? Or should I keep Math SL and improve on it as much as possible?

4) Doesn't your school offer Computer Science HL or SL? That would have been a better option. Regardless, Your subject choices are fine. Keep the grades up!

No, sadly my school is very small when it comes to IB. The closest school with computer science was 3 hours away, and in general IB is not big in Norway. At my school there are 1300 students, but in IB we're only 20 and they offer these subjects:

English A2, Chemistry, Economics, Math SL/Studies, Norwegian, Environmental Systems, History, Physics and Biology so there aren't really many...

6) Are you SURE you want an Ivy Legue education? The workload is high and the pressure can be tough. Also be aware that some schools have 300 people per class while some Uni's have less than 20. You HAVE to figure out what kind of environment you want. Other factors such as weather, Social life and International friendliness should also be looked at.

Well, my visit to Stanford was awesome, I've never seen or experienced anything like it really. Stanford is non-ivy though and MIT would be a just as viable option. Now ideally, I want to study in California, New York or Boston. As for California, Stanford is my main prio, but I'm not sure if Berkeley are good on CS?

Then in New York, there aren't really good CS uni's right? And last, for Boston, I haven't really looked much at Harvard, but that would obviously be an option, but there my other prio is MIT.

Now, is getting into Ivy a lot harder than say, Stanford, Berkely and MIT?

7) Check out UCLA and Santa Clara. Vey good for Comp Sci. You need to know wether you want to be in a small school which will give you a good education or if you want to be in a big school which will give you a brand name.

I preffer a big school really, just like I said above, It's something I'm dying to experience. Might sound a bit shallow(?), but still, I'm quite set on this! :)

Thanks for your help!

I would post this on College Confidential. They have a forum dedicated to What Are My Chances? threads, and I would say you're more likely to get more answers there.

Thanks for your feedback and I'll go ahead and do that!

Oh there's actually one more question. I've heard that as an IB student you may be able to skip the first or freshman year at some universities. In Canada this is very widespread, but what about the US? Does this really depends on the uni or do you know something more specific about it? How does it work really?

Thanks!

Edited by Anton

Yes you Will be able to do better with Math SL. However Math HL looks more impressive.

Yes Berkley is awesome for Comp Sci.

And yes you get course credit for certain IB subjects. Email the Uni concerned for more info on these. And yes you can use them to skip a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Background

School Type: Private

I'm an IB1 student, so I only estimate my predicted scores

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: took it once and got M610CR700W660 but I'm retaking it two more times so it will be around M700-I'm really studying math this time-CR720W730

SAT II: German 800, Literature 650 and I'm also taking Biology and US history

GPA: 3.82

Senior year course schedule and predicted grades:

Modern Greek A1 HL - 7

German B HL - 7

History HL - 6

Math Studies - 7

Biology - 7

Philosophy - 7

Extracurriculars:

1. Attended nearly 20 MUN conferences, in 6-7 student officer, in one President

2. Almost every year in student government

3. Forensics (debating, impromptu speaking, duet acting

4. Voluteering in Cameroon

5. Summer school in Yale and debating course in London

6. Organized MUN conference and also mentored public schools to enter MUN

7. Internship in national TV and by a stock market advisor

8. Have written 5 articles for newspapers

Colleges of Interest:

1. Amherst (ED)

2. Williams

3. Swarthmore

4. Baranrd

5. Georgetown

6. Boston University

7. Dartmouth

Hooks: I speak Greek, German, English, Norwegian, Swedish and French

Edited by Fani

Background

School Type: Private

I'm an IB1 student, so I only estimate my predicted scores

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: took it once and got M610CR700W660 but I'm retaking it two more times so it will be around M700-I'm really studying math this time-CR720W730

SAT II: German 800, Literature 650 and I'm also taking Biology and US history

GPA: 3.82

Modern Greek A1 HL - 7

German B HL - 7

History HL - 6

Math Studies - 7

Biology - 7

Philosophy - 7

Extracurriculars:

1. Attended nearly 20 MUN conferences, in 6-7 student officer, in one President

2. Almost every year in student government

3. Forensics (debating, impromptu speaking, duet acting

4. Voluteering in Cameroon

5. Summer school in Yale and debating course in London

6. Organized MUN conference and also mentored public schools to enter MUN

7. Internship in national TV and by a stock market advisor

8. Have written 5 articles for newspapers

Colleges of Interest:

1. Amherst (ED)

2. Williams

3. Swarthmore

4. Baranrd

5. Georgetown

6. Boston University

7. Dartmouth

Hooks: I speak Greek, German, English, Norwegian, Swedish and French

Ok I guess since there's no one to do this...ill just take over...kind of.

1. Amherst (ED): Medium probability, you should get in if your essays are good.

2. Williams: Doubt it, they look for students who display intellect more than anything else. Again depends majorly on your essays.

3. Swarthmore: High probability

4. Baranrd: Medium probability

5. Georgetown: High probability

6. Boston University: Medium probability

7. Dartmouth: Low probability, plus you've taken Math studies. That doesn't go down well with this school.

Thanks very much for chancing me!

How can I improve my chances for Williams? How can I display more intellect?

Raise your SAT scores and your GPA. Aim for at least a 2200, and try to go even higher than that if possible. I'm not sure how your school calculates GPA, but if it involves test scores and classwork just try to get very high grades on those.

Thanks very much for chancing me!

How can I improve my chances for Williams? How can I display more intellect?

I'm gonna disagree with my the post above. Raising grades only makes you seem more of a studious person. (Not that you shouldn't try to raise them)

To admissions officers, intellect is shown via the essays and supplementary essays. WORK ON THEM. make sure they reflect well on your personality and at the same time is eloquently written. I would suggest you start working on the common app 500 and 150 word essays right away. I remember I made like 15 drafts of my essay (made friends/family/teachers/counselor read it). You should do the same.

In the files section there are some files I've submitted under the university section. They should help you out. http://www.ibsurvival.com/files/category/71-university-application-essays-and-ps/

Background: Asian Male (Not America citizen/green card holder)

School Type: ****

IB1 Current Grades

• Maths HL - 6 (missing a 7 by 1 percent, can definitely get one)
  • English A SL - 7
  • French B SL - 7
  • Physics HL - 7
  • Chemistry HL - 7
  • Economics SL - 7

Not sure about TOK/EE, but I think I should be able to manage a 2 or 3

I'm looking at between 43 and 45 points total

• SAT I - CR800 M790 W710 (I'm working towards a better writing score though)
  • SAT II - None yet, shall give Maths I, II and Chemistry on May 5 and I expect 770+ in all three
  • TOEFL - Not yet, but I'm sure I'll sail through.

Extracurricular:

This is where **** fails epicly

• Running - I'm not the greatest, but I'm working like hell and will definitely be able to run a half marathon if not a full by the time admission rolls up
  • Theatre - I haven't done much recently, but will soon participate in my school's performance of 12 angry men. Corollary: I got the highest mark in India in IGCSE Drama (which is 70% practical and 30% theory and direction) which should prove that I'm a decent actor.
  • Cooking?!? I cook/bake a lot of desserts
  • MUNs - I've got a couple of Best Delegate awards, a few High Commendations and I am slated to be the SecGen (or vice-secgen) of my school's MUN
  • Student Council/Government - If our school lets us create one, then post of Propaganda Minister (essentially the guy who gives all the speeches and fires people up)

NB

I plan to write 2 Extended Essays (maybe even 3, but that's pushing it a little too far). One in Mathematics for sure (which I'll finish over the summer), probably one in Chemistry (I'll write the theory over a couple of days in the summer and then perform the labs the moment I return to school) and if I have time, one in English (my teacher said that I have tremendous command over the language. I can't say that I see it, but I've heard it only takes a weekend to write a passable English EE).

I'd obviously submit these to universities as additional material - probably in the form of research papers.

Choices

• MIT
  • California Institute of Technology (CalTech)
  • Harvey Mudd
  • Princeton
  • Stanford
  • Columbia
  • Carnegie Mellon
  • Northwestern
  • Georgia Tech
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Harvard
  • Any other college which is great for engineering/science which I might have failed to mention

Keep in mind that I don't have a slew of certificates or indeed more that 10 or 15, but am great at interviews.

EDIT: I plan to apply in autumn 2012 for the year starting autumn 2013

Edited by krakaton

IB1 Current Grades

• English A SL - 7
  • French B SL - 7
  • Physics HL - 7
  • Chemistry HL - 7
  • Economics SL - 7

• SAT II - None yet, shall give Maths I, II and Chemistry on May 5 and I expect 770+ in all three

Extracurricular:

• Running - I'm not the greatest, but I'm working like hell and will definitely be able to run a half marathon if not a full by the time admission rolls up
  • Theatre - I haven't done much recently, but will soon participate in my school's performance of 12 angry men. Corollary: I got the highest mark in India in IGCSE Drama (which is 70% practical and 30% theory and direction) which should prove that I'm a decent actor.
  • MUNs - I've got a couple of Best Delegate awards, a few High Commendations and I am slated to be the SecGen (or vice-secgen) of my school's MUN
  • Student Council/Government - If our school lets us create one, then post of Propaganda Minister (essentially the guy who gives all the speeches and fires people up)

NB

I plan to write 2 Extended Essays (maybe even 3, but that's pushing it a little too far). One in Mathematics for sure (which I'll finish over the summer), probably one in Chemistry (I'll write the theory over a couple of days in the summer and then perform the labs the moment I return to school) and if I have time, one in English (my teacher said that I have tremendous command over the language. I can't say that I see it, but I've heard it only takes a weekend to write a passable English EE).

I'd obviously submit these to universities as additional material - probably in the form of research papers.

Choices

• MIT
  • Harvey Mudd
  • Princeton
  • Stanford
  • Columbia
  • Carnegie Mellon
  • Northwestern
  • Georgia Tech
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Harvard
  • Any other college which is great for engineering/science which I might have failed to mention

Keep in mind that I don't have a slew of certificates or indeed more that 10 or 15, but am great at interviews.

Look, I'm going to be frank. If you think I'm being rude...well I'm not.

MIT: Extremely low probability

California Institute of Technology (CalTech): Low probability

Harvey Mudd: Medium probability

Princeton: Very low probability

Stanford: Low probability (That too only if your essays are good)

Columbia: Low probability

Carnegie Mellon: Low probability

Northwestern: Low probability

Georgia Tech: Low probability

Johns Hopkins: Medium probability

Harvard: Very low probability

I'm sorry but your extracurricular's SUCK. You've realized yourself too, so that's good. BUT WHERE ARE YOUR BACKUP'S?

Here's what you need to focus on to raise your chances to get into these schools:

-Work on your essays, especially the supplementary ones.

-Make sure you have good recommendations from your teachers.

-Do something in the summer, like an internship or anything which reflects on your leadership skills.

-Why are you doing more than one EE? Concentrate on ONE and do it well.

IB1 Current Grades

• English A SL - 7
  • French B SL - 7
  • Physics HL - 7
  • Chemistry HL - 7
  • Economics SL - 7

Extracurricular:

NB

Choices

• MIT
  • Harvey Mudd
  • Princeton
  • Stanford
  • Columbia
  • Carnegie Mellon
  • Northwestern
  • Georgia Tech
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Harvard

something to add to the commenter above:

some research experience would be good. the extended essays are a good start, but can you perhaps work with a professor at a local university?

enter some competitions (and win them haha)

do something that sets you apart from the rest of the applicants. and that we cannot really give you any advice on, you will have to find something original by yourself.

I think you have a good chance everywhere; at the end of the day, you have to prove to the admission officers that you deserve a spot at their school.

• 4 weeks later...

Why does everyone have such good grades?...

This makes me kinda feel bad :(

Anyways:

Background

School Type: American International School in Philippines

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: M740CR670W720 (M=maths, CR=critical reading, W=writing)

SAT II: To be taken

GPA: 3.6UW 3.85W (uw=unweighted, w=weighted, All ib courses are weighted)

Film HL - 7

Physics HL - 6/7

Maths HL - 5/6

Business SL - 7

English Lang Lit SL - 6

French SL - 6

Extracurriculars:

1. Cross Country

2. Bamboo Television (schools television channel, producer :D)

3. Newsflash Online Editor

4. Quill & Scroll and French Honor Society

5. Built an online business from scratch

6. Coded a GPA calculator from scratch

7. Making a summer film...

8. UNESCO Global City (subdivision) treasurer

Colleges of Interest:

1. USC School of Cinematic Arts

2. UCLA / Berkley

3. NYU

4. Chapman

5. Carnegie Mellon? (reach)

6. Northwestern

7. Harvey Mudd

8. Uni. Northern Carolina

Thank you. :D

Edited by holeyness

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to graduate in 2013, and I'm applying in fall 2012. Also, nobody has given me any predicted grades, nor have I done the SATs yet, but I'm pretty sure that I have accurate estimates.

Background

Status: European (I think you call them Caucasian, but not sure) Male

School Type: Large public with an IB department

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: M800CR750W750 (M=maths, CR=critical reading, W=writing)

SAT II: Physics780Chemistry780MathII800

GPA: 6.3 (on a scale of 1-7, not sure if weighted, because I don't really understand that thing with weighted and unweighted GPAs)

Rank: Not available (we don't have ranks, but I'm pretty sure if I ask for one they give it to me, and it will be something like 3/30)

Chemistry HL - 6

Physics SL - 7 (did this as my anticipated subject, I'll receive the grade on 6th of July, which should be a 7)

Maths HL - 7

English A1 SL - 7

Finnish B HL - 7

Psychology HL - 7

Swedish from the national side curriculum - 6 (on a scale of 1-7, I will receive my final grade before the application, so don't count this as a predicted grade, but as a final grade)

Extracurriculars:

1. Voluntary work in the Heureka science center (basically what I do is stand in there and help people and explain which showpiece does what and also answer any general questios, like where is this exhibition or the WC etc.). I do this about two times in a month.

2. The organisation and conduct of math, physics and chemistry tutoring for younger students of our school. I do this every time before the exams, that is five times in a school year, and so about every 1.5 months

3. Karate 2-3 times per week. Won some medals when I was young, but I doubt that it counts, since universities seem to care more about achievements in high school.

Colleges of Interest:

1. Harvard

2. Yale

3. Princeton

4. All other Ivy league colleges

5. University of Chicago

Hooks: None

By the way, could you also tell where do you get the figures from? I'm just really curious :D

Edited by norsul

Background

School Type: Public

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: didn't take it yet, but I got a 112 in the TOEFL iBT

SAT II: Math Lvl. 1: 800, Math. Lvl. 2: 760, and i'll be taking Physics in November.

GPA: 9.38 on a scale of 1-10, I don't know how this is calculated

(my school doesn't give predicted grades, so this is what I think that will happen:)

Spanish A1 HL - 7

English B HL - 7

Physics HL - 7

Math SL - 7

History SL - 6

Computer Science - 6

ToK/EE - 2

Extracurriculars:

1. Red Cross volunteer

2. President of the Student Council

3. 3rd place in the national Astronomy Olympiad, and I'm about to participate in the Latinoamerican Olympiad

4. Volunteer work in rural schools

5. Singing and Irish-dancing, with shows all around the country

6. Internship at Instituto Balseiro -a prestigious engineering school here in Argentina-

7. Rocketry

8. Work at an institute as a math and physics teacher

9. Scout since the age of 6

10. Horse-back rider with 9 or 10 prizes

11. Free-software enthusiast and collaborator

12. Amateur radio operator

Colleges of Interest:

1. MIT

2. CalTech

3. Boston University

4. Worcester Polytechnic Institute

5. Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering

Edited by Aura

Has anyone ever made it to Stanford University with IB scores only? Because I am aiming for Stanford and it seems like the university cares more on SAT than IB.

This is not the right thread to ask but the answer is no. SATs (or ACT plus writing) are required no matter what curriculum you're following. There are exemptions for students from some countries (not sure which - you can google it) but your best help is the university's site.

Stanford does required standardized tests: http://www.stanford....an/testing.html

so you definitely need to take them. When considering whether they care more for the SATs over or IB, you should remember that you're aiming at Stanford. You need to be at the top of your game in both the IB and the SATs. When selecting students though (as far as I know) they do put more emphasis on the standardized scores over the IB grades which are mostly used for gaining credit. Again though, this doesn't mean you can get away with a low or mediocre IB score because they do pay attention to all of your grades.

• 4 weeks later...

Background

School Type: Private Anglican

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: M590CR720W650 (M=maths, CR=critical reading, W=writing)

SAT II: Taking them soon..)

GPA: Unsure. Guessing an unweighted 2.8

Chemistry HL - 6

Physics SL - 5

Maths Studies - 7

English A1 HL - 7

Spanish Ab Initio - 6

History HL - 5

Extracurriculars:

1. Oaktree Foundation branch president

2. Field Hockey (varsity)

3. Softball 1st

4. Debating 1st

5. Mock trials (top 8 team/600)

6. Touch football (girls 1st) + Coaching little league team

7. 40 hr famine

8. Girls Theatresports team

Colleges of Interest:

1. Illinois Urbana Champagne

2. Indiana at Purdue

3. Northwestern (doubtful)

Hooks: Legacy at Cambridge...

Why does everyone have such good grades?...

This makes me kinda feel bad :(

Anyways:

Background

School Type: American International School in Philippines

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: M740CR670W720 (M=maths, CR=critical reading, W=writing)

SAT II: To be taken

GPA: 3.6UW 3.85W (uw=unweighted, w=weighted, All ib courses are weighted)

Film HL - 7

Physics HL - 6/7

Maths HL - 5/6

Business SL - 7

English Lang Lit SL - 6

French SL - 6

Extracurriculars:

1. Cross Country

2. Bamboo Television (schools television channel, producer :D)

3. Newsflash Online Editor

4. Quill & Scroll and French Honor Society

5. Built an online business from scratch

6. Coded a GPA calculator from scratch

7. Making a summer film...

8. UNESCO Global City (subdivision) treasurer

Colleges of Interest:

1. USC School of Cinematic Arts

2. UCLA / Berkley

3. NYU

4. Chapman

5. Carnegie Mellon? (reach)

6. Northwestern

7. Harvey Mudd

8. Uni. Northern Carolina

Thank you. :D

I no longer post much on this forum, but I will just break down your chances for you.

1. USC School of Cinematic Arts: Medium probability

2. UCLA / Berkley: Medium probability

3. NYU: Medium probability (A lot depends on your essays...)

4. Chapman: High probability

5. Carnegie Mellon: Low probability

6. Northwestern: Low probability

7. Harvey Mudd: Low probability

8. Uni. Northern Carolina: Medium probability

If your applying to a theatre or arts program, you will require a portfolio. So a lot will depend on that as well.

Background

School Type: Public

Academics:

Scores:

SAT I: didn't take it yet, but I got a 112 in the TOEFL iBT

SAT II: Math Lvl. 1: 800, Math. Lvl. 2: 760, and i'll be taking Physics in November.

GPA: 9.38 on a scale of 1-10, I don't know how this is calculated

(my school doesn't give predicted grades, so this is what I think that will happen:)

Spanish A1 HL - 7

English B HL - 7

Physics HL - 7

Math SL - 7

History SL - 6

Computer Science - 6

ToK/EE - 2

Extracurriculars:

1. Red Cross volunteer

2. President of the Student Council

3. 3rd place in the national Astronomy Olympiad, and I'm about to participate in the Latinoamerican Olympiad

4. Volunteer work in rural schools

5. Singing and Irish-dancing, with shows all around the country

6. Internship at Instituto Balseiro -a prestigious engineering school here in Argentina-

7. Rocketry

8. Work at an institute as a math and physics teacher

9. Scout since the age of 6

10. Horse-back rider with 9 or 10 prizes

11. Free-software enthusiast and collaborator

12. Amateur radio operator

Colleges of Interest:

1. MIT

2. CalTech

3. Boston University

4. Worcester Polytechnic Institute

5. Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering

1. MIT : Low probability (Requires research papers)

2. CalTech : Low probability

3. Boston University High probability

4. Worcester Polytechnic Institute: Medium probability

5. Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering: Can't say, not enough information online.