IB books you absolutely loved

azulverde:)

I loved Remarque's "All Quiet on the Western Front", I fell in love with "The Wars" by Timothy Findley, love Jane Austin (too bad I wont get to read her books at all sad.gif ) love and am looking forward to "The Stranger" by Camus.

What about you? what books do you need for IB that you absolutely want to read?

Brave New World

A hero of our time

Perfume

were the best books that I read in I.B. so far!

I really hope that our teacher chose "Crime and Punishment" .. I love the theme presented in that book and it would have been AMAZING

to read that book in school XD

I also heard that Haruki's books are put into I.B. cirriculum. I did not read any of his books, but in my country, Haruki is really popular

and widely read, so it would have been awesome to read his books too~!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The one book that I've read in Lit. so far and really loved was Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Marquez. Year two we're reading pretty much only plays though, which I really do not enjoy. My teacher says it's because plays are often shorter, but I'm sure there are many very good novellas out there we could read. Plays are for watching, not reading in my opinion.

"Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I enjoyed the book mostly due to the states Raskolnikov goes through throughout the novel - I'm fairly interested in psychology and philosophy, so Raskolnikov's dwelling about the role or murder in a society was extremely interesting to me.

• Like 1

I'll be real honest, I used to really hate English at the start of IB.

But I grew to like the subject even more over time.

I especially enjoyed reading the Importance of Being Earnest, Streetcar Named Desire and Othello.

I also really like Duffy's poems. It's a shame I didn't take Lang / Lit. I kinda missed doing creative writing.

• Like 1

MAUS (A comic about the Holocaust, I recommend it to everyone!) and The Kite Runner. The Fire Next Time I've recently started to appreciate.

I really want to read Maus. Isn't it a graphic novel? It's supposed to be fantastic. It was the basis of ToK question.

To answer the question - Half of a Yellow Sun surely. Loved Kainene to bits. The characters are very... real. Like, how nobody is really ideal - they have their flaws but that doesn't make them any less of a good person. Ismat Chughtai's short stories were fantastic too.

Pretty much all the books we read in English Lang & Lit for Part 3: Hedda Gabler, Oranges are not the Only Fruit and The House on Mango Street. In particular the last one. I also adored Persepolis, Jane Eyre and The Stranger. :)

Edited by karolyon3

In Norwegian: "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, "Perfume" by Patrick Süskind, "Pan" by Knut Hamsun and "The Sharks" by Jens Bjørneboe! All books that I would highly recommend! They're all amazing and I will gladly read them again! :D

In English: "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe, "Pygmalion" by George Bernard Shaw, "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi and "The Garden Party and Other Stories" by Katherine Mansfield! These books are the best and I'm so glad I got to read them in the IB. :D

For Serbian it's been Camus' The Stranger and Kafka's Metamorphosis.

For English, for now, The Kite Runner (K. Hosseini) and Gatsby. I think I know half of the book by heart now, didn't like it at first, but after some discussion with the fellow IB 2 students, absolutely fell in love with it. I also loved Die Physiker in German B, and now looking forward to 1984 in English and The Reader/Der Vorleser in both English in German, we have the same teacher for both, so we're gonna work on both of them at the same time. :D

MAUS (A comic about the Holocaust, I recommend it to everyone!) and The Kite Runner. The Fire Next Time I've recently started to appreciate.

I really want to read Maus. Isn't it a graphic novel? It's supposed to be fantastic. It was the basis of ToK question.

To answer the question - Half of a Yellow Sun surely. Loved Kainene to bits. The characters are very... real. Like, how nobody is really ideal - they have their flaws but that doesn't make them any less of a good person. Ismat Chughtai's short stories were fantastic too.

Maus is a graphic novel, it is definitely without question one of the greatest graphic novel ever created in my opinion. It is gripping and worth reading. Our English teacher spent a whole lesson discussing about this graphic novel.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still in IB1 so we haven't analysed all of them but I really enjoyed Maus and Persepolis. They're both graphic novels, very moving and wonderfully ilustrated.

As for the pre-IB books - I was strongly affected by Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. It's absolutely greatly written!

As for 'absolutely loved,' I can't recall any...but Pride and Prejudice and Chronicle of a Death Foretold have probably been my favorites. In sophomore year we read The Book Thief, which, although not an IB book (I don't think?), I LOVED, and also The Great Gatsby, which wasn't bad either. 

Tennessee Williams- A Streetcar Named Desire.  

Love that book to bits, did it for paper 2 and oh man... it was a beautiful text that I would've enjoyed even without IB English! 

Tim O'Brien - The Things They Carried.

This is the second one that comes to mind; mostly because of how simply yet vividly O'Brien describes the many things he sees in 'Nam.

And basically everyone in my year either loves or hates Duffy's The World's Wife (of the former here)

• Like 1

Tennessee Williams- A Streetcar Named Desire.  

Love that book to bits, did it for paper 2 and oh man... it was a beautiful text that I would've enjoyed even without IB English! 

Tim O'Brien - The Things They Carried.

This is the second one that comes to mind; mostly because of how simply yet vividly O'Brien describes the many things he sees in 'Nam.

And basically everyone in my year either loves or hates Duffy's The World's Wife (of the former here)

I liked the Worlds Wife, better than her freaking love poems, which are awful, and far too much lesbian innuendo for me 

• Like 1