Questions on submitting for upload and downloading notes, essays and other files.

Survival Robot

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I've posted this before...but didn't get an answer:

A question regarding submitting files:

So I want to submit my group 4 presentation for IBS members to see and use as an example. Its 80 MB and its a .ppsx file. (MS Powerpoint show 2010) but it doesnt get accepted....

And regarding books.... How does IBS regard the piracy of IB books? After all IT IS for the greater good....so can I upload the pdf files?

Have you tried converting the presentation into a pdf? There should be some kind of "print for hand-out" style option which will make it into a sheet, or a number of programmes can 'print' your presentation as a pdf and thereby save it as one too.

Secondly, the answer to that is no. It IS for the greater good of IB students, yes, but just because it's helpful for IB students it doesn't make it permissible to breach copyright law, as IBS would be were it to host such material.

• 4 months later...

OK, so i m a noob, and i found this thread within 5 minutes. Lemme just begin by saying, this was very helpful. and second, i think it's a very smart idea to have us contribute before we can actually access anything from this site :P now, my third question is, where should i put up my posts so that my posts count up to 50? any ideas....

any help would be appreciated, b/c i cant even access the FAQ's of this site... i dunno y! :)

OK, so i m a noob, and i found this thread within 5 minutes. Lemme just begin by saying, this was very helpful. and second, i think it's a very smart idea to have us contribute before we can actually access anything from this site :P now, my third question is, where should i put up my posts so that my posts count up to 50? any ideas....

any help would be appreciated, b/c i cant even access the FAQ's of this site... i dunno y! :)

The Board Rules are a good read that might answer some of your questions. Also, information potentially addressing your questions can be found on the top under the category of the forum you're in. Sometimes there are subject related questions, information can be found in the pinned threads in the subject forums. If you still have questions about the website, you can post them here.

Anything you post in IBS excluding the Chat forum will add to your post count. Why do you want your posts to add up to 50?

PS: You didn't have a first, nor a second question...

Can I upload a practice Math IA (that has been marked as a 20/20) without any risk of plagiarism / IB getting mad at me? :P

If it's just a practice IA, there's no problem as long as it's not going to be submitted to the IBO. :)

unless the IA task is for 2012 or later.

if it's from the older sets of tasks then no prob.

Can I upload a practice Math IA (that has been marked as a 20/20) without any risk of plagiarism / IB getting mad at me? :P

If it's just a practice IA, there's no problem as long as it's not going to be submitted to the IBO. :)

unless the IA task is for 2012 or later.

if it's from the older sets of tasks then no prob.

Yeah it's the matrix powers one, I'm not even sure if it's a real IA?

• 3 months later...

Wait, is there actually a required amount of posts or a required number of files submitted or are there too many VIPS at the moment or something?

There are never "too many" VIPs.

If you only submit posts in order to become VIP, you need at least 150 posts. However, they have to actually be good posts, not simple one-line responses to something that was asked months ago used to increase post count. The mods can choose not to VIP someone even if they have 150 posts if they feel they don't deserve it yet.

There is no magic number of files to be uploaded, but submitting files increases your chances of being a VIP sooner. Keep in mind that quality > quantity, so don't just upload all of your 9th grade biology notes just to say "hi look at me I'm submitting files!" :P

Hope this answers your question :)

Wait, is there actually a required amount of posts or a required number of files submitted or are there too many VIPS at the moment or something?

If you only submit posts in order to become VIP, you need at least 150 posts. However, they have to actually be good posts, not simple one-line responses to something that was asked months ago used to increase post count. The mods can choose not to VIP someone even if they have 150 posts if they feel they don't deserve it yet.

There is no magic number of files to be uploaded, but submitting files increases your chances of being a VIP sooner. Keep in mind that quality > quantity, so don't just upload all of your 9th grade biology notes just to say "hi look at me I'm submitting files!" :P

Well thank you for such a quick response, it really did answer my questions! But just to intervene here, I don't think ALL posts have to be longer than just a couple of lines, I mean if all response were super long people wouldn't even read them, sometimes short and concise answers are better as they emphasize the point you're trying to get across. I don't know, maybe that's just me! and hahaha, hey now that was only one file, and I still saw people download it anyway ;)

Edited by Mrs.Stein

Well thank you for such a quick response, it really did answer my questions! But just to intervene here, I don't think ALL posts have to be longer than just a couple of lines, I mean if all response were super long people wouldn't even read them, sometimes short and concise answers are better as they emphasize the point you're trying to get across. I don't know, maybe that's just me! and hahaha, hey now that was only one file, and I still saw people download it anyway ;)

To be honest it's mostly about quality, and it's very unusual to have a high quality short answer! Unless a question has been asked where literally the answer is just one line.

For instance in answer to a question like: Should I do History or Philosophy at HL?

Some people will reply "You should do History/I like History/I do HL History it is good" and various other completely useless uninformative things! Often in such short sentences it's like they came out of a child's book to learn about the concept of subject, verb, object.

They won't tell you why History is good, or whether they know anything about Philosophy (what if Philosophy is also good??) and just generally won't help the user in any way to solve their problem - insofar as is possible they're posting either in ignorance of how little help their response is, or to up their post count. So generally, length of reply tends to correlate with the amount of useful information within a reply. The more useful a reply, the more likely that individual is to be VIP'd. It's pretty uncommon for a reply of a single line to be useful, and considerably more likely that it will be of the format "Oh you want to do Cheese? I do Cheese. Cheese is good. Good luck with your Cheese." or "I don't do Cheese or wouldn't want to do Cheese but I see you're doing Cheese, good luck with Cheese" ...etc.!! And just sod all in the information or usefulness department. The user asking the question doesn't really give a damn whether you don't or don't do Cheese or that it is 'good', they wanted you to tell them useful bits of information that would help them make the decision they asked about, yet your personal engagement with Cheese in a yes I do/no I don't format is all they have learnt.

Obviously Cheese does not refer to actual cheese, but a random subject or occupation. Anyway the main point is that the site operates by rewarding people who actually give the pros and cons of Cheese and help people to answer the question they came with (usually this will require more than a single line of explanation), rather than rewarding people whose minds appear to have rather more literally turned into cheese.

Also note that when you post on outdated topics your comments will be deleted by one of the mods and the post will be removed from your post count so just remember to check the date of the thread in order not to waste your time on dead topics.

*I am noting this because I just deleted one of your comments from a thread made in July 2011.

• 1 month later...

First, I want to thank all the people who work so hard to keep this site running! I would really love to start contributing files to this site. But I have a little problem. I have read this whole thread and other ones as well to find an answer but I can't. :(

My question is, are we allowed to upload files in another language besides english for courses outside of the languages?

I am taking the whole IB in french therefore all my notes, practice papers, essays are all in french. For example, my History practice IA is written in french. I may not be much of use but I would still like to try and help. :) Am I allowed to upload these? And in which category in the uploading files section?