2010 United States Mid-Term Elections

ZBP92

34 Senate seats, all 435 House seats, 37 governorships, and too many local issues/candidates to name will be up for grabs in three days, on November 2nd. Pres. Obama's approval/disapproval rating currently sits at 46/48. Due to a combination of various factors including a poor economy and the unpopularity of the recent healthcare reform, Republicans are poised to take control of the House of Representatives as well as ending up with 30 state governors. The Democrats, lucky to have the class three Senators up for re-elections in this hostile environment, look likely to retain a slim majority of somewhere in the neighborhood of 52-48, though their leader Harry Reid may lose his seat.

So, who's voting on Tuesday, or has already voted? Thoughts/opinions on what you want/think will happen?

Personally I was born three weeks late and can't vote here in the state of Ohio, but I will be cheering on the Democrats. My Republican Representative stands no chance of losing unfortunately, and the Democratic senate candidate here has all but conceded to the Republican candidate, who I actually somewhat like (though I wouldn't vote for him.) The governor's race has been hotly contested, and the polls are basically even or show our incumbent Democratic Governor Strickland losing, which is quite unfortunate since his opponent is absolutely horrible. Election night is not going to be pretty as far as I'm concerned, sadly.

I agree. Especially with the Tea Party set to capitalize on Obama's current unpopularity with people after their success in endorsing candidates for pre-selection. I actually think the process of pre-selection is an issue in the American system because it makes it more likely you'll get politicians on the extremes (Republicans voting for the Republican candidate will tend to get a more conservative candidate - see how the Tea Party has managed to get so many candidates). I can only hope that some people'll get turned off the by the ultra-conservatives... (seriously. Christine O'Donnell ?!?!!!)

• 4 weeks later...

Americans are so enthusiastic and involved in their politics! I sorta wish I could say the same about Canada, but a lot of people are pretty apathetic about our country's politics. More people in Canada probably know the name of the American president than the name of the Canadian prime minister. I commend you for being such an active, involved citizen!

Edited by wombat123