Extended Essay

Colin

Hey guys, I have to pick out a topic for my extended essay soon and I really don't know what path to pursue yet. I find both chemistry and business interesting and was thinking about tying the two together to create a strong, cogent essay. I was just researching and found a topic that interested me: Making biodiesel fuel from waste vegetable oil... So here are my questions for you:

1) First, is it acceptable to apply two subjects to the same essay?

2) If it is, should I do half and half? Meaning half of the essay being on the science behind this procedure and the other half about the business (selling/producing) aspect

3) Do you think this essay topic is do-able and a good topic to write about?

You can't do two subjects in one essay. Your essay MUST fit perfectly into just a single category (although if there's some coincidental overlap e.g. that your essay is about a business-related aspect of Chemistry, provided you only discuss Chemistry and not Business it's okay). So your essay would have to be 100% Chemistry or 100% Business.

I recommend you read the Extended Essay Guide before proceeding any further (look in the Files section of this website and it's free to download).

• Like 1

As Sandwich said, you have to fit your topic under the criteria for ONE subject area.

Although, overlapping is allowed, and even discussed in the History EE criteria.

For example, my topic is on the Degenerate Art purges in Nazi Germany, but I'm examining it through a historical perspective.

As for covering the topic on Bio-fuels, try hunting around for sources, and seeing how you would be able to approach the topic. Then decide on a ROUGH thesis/RQ. A good/bad research question can either make for a great, concise EE, or one that isn't perfect lol.