TOK video games presentation

eliemadi

Hi, i have my TOK presentation coming up soon, and i decided to do mine on are video games useful for society?

I know that video games can promote violence, and i also know it can help people improve eye to hand coordination, etc...

The only problem is i don't know how i should outline mine. My teacher said i should start with a situation and then state my knowledge issue, but after that, i am lost.

I don't know what should go next. Should i describe what we mean by violent, is this presentation biased, etc...

Please help me.

You should find a knowledge issue. "Are video games useful for society?" is not good enough. A KI is about knowledge, this is about video games. See? A knowledge issue is abstract and not dealing with anything specific. I suggest that you check this webpage for information about KIs and then you see what you come up with. Then we'll be able to help you further.

:P

You should find a knowledge issue. "Are video games useful for society?" is not good enough. A KI is about knowledge, this is about video games. See? A knowledge issue is abstract and not dealing with anything specific. I suggest that you check this webpage for information about KIs and then you see what you come up with. Then we'll be able to help you further.

:(

hmmmm....

Well the thing is i mainly want to do it on video games because i can capture violent scenes from it and other scenes that support my arguments and make it into a move, because i want it to be creative. So would “To what extent can videogames be considered harmful or helpful to society?” be good?

if not should i change it to digital entertainment?

thanks

:(

hmmmm....

Well the thing is i mainly want to do it on video games because i can capture violent scenes from it and other scenes that support my arguments and make it into a move, because i want it to be creative. So would “To what extent can videogames be considered harmful or helpful to society?” be good?

thanks

A KI is about knowledge and it is not example specific. You should be talking about something abstract, such as how we can know whether there is a causation or something. I'll give you some examples of KIs

Topic: GMO

Not a KI: Is GMO good or bad?

Not really a KI: How can we know whether GMO is bad?

A good KI: How can something work well in theory but not in practice?

Topic: Food advice

Not a KI: What food should we eat?

Not really a KI: How do we know what food to eat?

A good KI: How can something be true for an individual, but not for a group?

Topic: Crime

Not a KI: How does the police prevent crime?

Not really a KI: How do we know which the best way of preventing crime is?

A good KI: How can mathematical models be used in the prevention of crime?

Hope this helped,

Edited by Tilia

:)

hmmmm....

thanks

Digital entertainment would be really broad in my opinion.

A good knowledge issue would be about one of the areas of knowledge and HOW do we know it? I don't know if your ToK teacher has explained something called the knower diagram? Ways of knowing=lanuage, emotion, perception, religion and the areas=mathematics, history, human science, natural science, fine arts, and i cant remember the 6th...

So whatever you choose trying to incorporate at least 1 of each, although I'm sure any topics could easily cover 2-3 areas and at least 1 way of knowing.

Interpretive Dance, for example, could be refined into an issue including language, percption, emotion, history, human science, and fine arts. Just all depends on what you want to refine your issue into and make sure it is apparent in your "topic sentence" (lack of a better way to say it).

• 3 years later...

I read all of your comments and since I am also doing a group presentation on video games, can you just tell me weather my KI is good: "To what extended do video games impact on human behavior?". We would concentrate on emotions (EQ for example) with many real cases as arguments. Also, I looked up on internet some video games presentation and one of them contained AOK, or ways of knowing as Drake Glau referred to them. So, is it necessary (for higher grade mainly) to connect the presentation with some AOK?

Thanks in advance!

• 6 years later...
On 11/4/2010 at 11:32 AM, eliemadi said:

Hi, i have my TOK presentation coming up soon, and i decided to do mine on are video games useful for society?

I know that video games can promote violence, and i also know it can help people improve eye to hand coordination, etc...

The only problem is i don't know how i should outline mine. My teacher said i should start with a situation and then state my knowledge issue, but after that, i am lost.

I don't know what should go next. Should i describe what we mean by violent, is this presentation biased, etc...

Please help me.

hahaha, lost boy go back to school 

On 11/4/2010 at 11:32 AM, eliemadi said:

Please help me.

hahaha, lost boy go back to school 

• 1 year later...