relationships during the IB?

Access Denied

Hey, Im in a relationship and im just about to enter my last yr of IB, im aiming for a 43 and atm am sitting on a 39 comfortably. wondering if its possible for me to keep a relationship and do well, Also for comments on if relationships have survived, heartbreaks etc. during the IB.

Free to all.

HL

History

English

Psychology

SL

Maths

Biology

Spanish ab

First of all, you can put your subjects as a SIGNATURE instead of typing it every single time you post by editing your signature in here http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=signature

Is your boyfriend an IB student too? If yes, I think it should be okay since you both have loads of work and you do understand if each other is busy. There might be no conflict if one is way too busy with their HW that they cannot spend time to hang out with the partner. You can also study together and help each other with their HW if you have mutual subjects. You can also hang out together to relieve stress from IB.

But if he is not an IB student, it is concerned that there could be conflicts and problems, like he just can't understand how busy you are in IB2. Well he could still help you with some HW but what if he ask you out on weekend when you should be revising and/or doing HW? He might not know how dreadful IB is and how you really need to spend some time to study. Then if he is close to another girl, you might be jealous and this might be a distraction and you would not focus on your study also. If you keep ignoring him for IB, he might be angry and ask you to break up with him.

Worst case: if you break up with him, this might also distract you and you cannot focus on your study again.

There are lots of disadvantages but there are still advantages.

However, if you guys are wise and mature enough, you should not face any problem even if you have a relationship. In fact a lot of IB students are in relationships and can still survive :)

Good luck and long last!

PS: please elaborate if you want to give advice or comments. thank you.

• Like 1

I can not really vote, just because there are too many other variables concerning the people in the relationship.

For example, is one or both in IB? If one, then how does the non-IB relate to their IB hubby when they're stressed/busy? If both of them are in IB, do they effectively communicate about when they need to study, revise, do work, and then hang out?

I know various people who are in my year. It seems that relationships with both students in IB seem to work better than those with only one half of the couple in IB. However, most of the couples are in similar courses, so they have the same work/dates and can easily relate to one another about when to study. There is a Chem/Physics/French kid dating a Bio/Visual Arts/Spanish kid at my school, but they seem to working out perfectly.

Not only does it depend on the relationship between the people, but also the person. Are they clingy and need to be around their hubby more than around their studies? This should be more of a Debate rather than a Discussion :)

As long as the relationship doesn't interfere with school, and vice-versa, I don't see any problem with having relationships in IB.

I think I'm the ONLY one without a romantic relationship in my school. *Tear gently rolls down cheek.*

Edited by JoeGuff
  • Like 1

why do you care no much.

its only highschool. IB is a pain in the ass, but it still allows you to have a life! dont give things like relationships up for IB, or you will not be able to cope with later life, IB is meant to teach us about life, work ethic, but especially about how to balance your life. dont forget to have fun!

• Like 1

why do you care no much.

its only highschool. IB is a pain in the ass, but it still allows you to have a life! dont give things like relationships up for IB, or you will not be able to cope with later life, IB is meant to teach us about life, work ethic, but especially about how to balance your life. dont forget to have fun!

there is no such thing as only IB >.<

and... how the hell do you make it work with tons of homework and a social life. just curious - cau for me, thats not workin

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use textspeak. thanks!

I don't really think I'm the right person to answer to a question like that what with my experience but, oh well...

I think how it'll be depends a lot on your boyfriend. If he feels lonely/overlooked make sure that you give him some quality time with you. My boyfriend is really mature and we've talked a lot about how much I'll need to study and so on but still I don't think either of us really contemplated how much stress this would have on our relationship. We also happen to live far away from each other (about 1½ by train or 3 hours by bus) which isn't helping much. On weekends when he comes over I still have to do my homework and since I prioritise them above him he gets sad and kinda grouchy. I am tired after doing homework so I don't have the energy to help him get over his grouchiness, so I end up getting grouchy too and then we're two grouchy people in a small space = not nice. I'm actually thinking about quitting things because I feel I can't handle the added stress.

Now this maybe sounds all gloomy, but I know another couple who managed to live together during her IB years and they survived just fine :D Perhaps learn from my mistakes and make sure that you give him some quality time (even if it's just an hour every now and then) so that he doesn't feel left out.

well, i have a boyfriend and we're both full IB students, so we both know the amount of work and stress that is inevitable. but i think that generally, if your boyfriend/girlfriend really wants to be with you, they will accept the fact that you are doing IB and may not always have time for them, and if you really want to date them, somehow you'll make it work. that's just how we are as humans.

Hmmm highschool breakups are the least of me and my friend's "distractions" so yea, it's quite possible to do just fine with just a relationship/breakup happening as long as you keep it rational and not freak out...

I've had a relationship and breakup with another IB student and it really didn't affect either one of us...

My parents separated and have been in court for divorce since a month before i started IB1, and the parents of a friend of mine won't really let him go to the university he wants or just accept him the way he is...we both do better than most of our class, so trust me, you'll be fine :P

always remember that there is no point of getting good grades if you dont enjoy life. I mean think about it, isnt the reason we try to get good grades is to be happy and get into a good college so we get a good joob and live a happier life? theres really no point of trying so hard if you arent going to be happy in your life... and if your not with your boyfriend, then thats not going to make you happy. I know people say this all the time, but LIFE IS SHORT! if we spend our lives not being with the people we love, then wats the point of life at all? hope that helps...

• Like 2

If your significant other understands your workload and stress, he should probably accept the fact that you won't have time to go out all the time. But yeah, I guess it must be difficult. I know that people say that relationships are part of the high school experience, but I find it hard to believe that some IB students with a really difficult courseload (ex. Math HL, Chemistry HL, Bio HL, and another fourth HL) would ever be able to manage it and stay sane. In the end, it's all up to you - but wouldn't it be sort of cruel to dump him just for the IB?

Edited by wombat123

As long as the boyfriend/girlfreind knows that you are in the IB and he/she don't get irritated becuse you cannot hang out all day it would be ok.

For me, a boyfriend works nice, because I get help to calm down, and relax at times. And in many ways that is really good for you.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with a relationship.I mean IB isn't about just focusing on academics only is it?Remember the point of IB is to create a well-balanced person and that definitely includes the relationship section too.

Totally agreed. If you ignore the social aspect of IB, then you're missing the point. It is not solely to promot acedemics, but to help maintain well rounded people who have an understanding in more then just book-smarts.

And there are a lot of variables for this, but I so happen to know quite a few succesful relationships between IB couples and half in half out as well. I'd agree with general trend; it's easier for an IB student to date another IB student because they understand the workload better and have the same crap going on. They'd certainly have to be understanding though, with all the CAS hours and EE hours and just hours of work IB has to do. But like I said I know long term relationships that are still working that go with two IB students (one full and one partial) and an IB student and a non-IB student. In fact, the one IB and non-IB relationship that I do know works out so well because his girlfriend destresses him and lets him think better :)

I think it depends on how hard your courseload is. If you're taking a crazy hard course load (ex. Physics, Chem, Math, Bio HL) then it would be pretty difficult to spend any time at all with your significant other... Depending on what type of person you are, emotional rupts caused by the relationship can really affect your academic life negatively. But I think that it's still wise to be balanced; IB shouldn't take over your life entirely. You should still take interest in picking up other life skills. In the end, just having good grades won't make you happy, right?