relationships during the IB?

Access Denied

Working through IB is hard enough, but if you add a boyfriend to the mix, it gets even tougher.

However, my situation is a little different. My boyfriend lives about 3 1/2 hours away from me and visits whenever he can. (Usually once or twice a month on average)

With that being said, yes it is easy to keep a balance if you focus on your schoolwork when you're not with him and plan projects and such according to his visit.

If you know that you have a paper due monday and he is coming over saturday, you write AT LEAST half of the paper on friday night and finish it sunday, unless you're able to do the whole thing on friday. or vice versa.

To say that the outsiders dont get it can be true but that doesn't include ALL outsiders. There are some that, if you show them the kind of work you deal with on a daily basis, will understand and even try to help (which is sometimes hilarious). They're human too, they understand stress just as well as anyone. It all comes down to the individual you find and what they're willing to deal with.

So, in midst of my rambling, yes, you can have a relationship and still have good grades. XD

Doesn't matter if they're in IB or not, it's all about time management.

Good luck to all you!

well, I would even tell that if your other half is living away it is much earier to manage it, because you are not obliged to meet every weekend because it is understandable it takes too much time for travel etc

but if, like in my case my bf lives just in the other part of the city, I often hear oh you're living like next to me and we can hardly meet cos you're so busy all the time.! so more convinient is actually far-away option, I would say, but this is just my opinion XD

I can't tell that he is not helpful, without him I would not be able to write neitther my portfolio, which basically he had written, nor my bio lab reports as I have no clue whatsoever about Excel graphs :P

this is about time management I agree, but you must admit that IBers have much more work than ordinary students, therfore you automatically have less spare time

Morpheus- I tihnk you're an exception which cofirms the rule tho.! :P

Edited by paperpheasant

well, i have a boyfriend and we're both full IB students, so we both know the amount of work and stress that is inevitable. but i think that generally, if your boyfriend/girlfriend really wants to be with you, they will accept the fact that you are doing IB and may not always have time for them, and if you really want to date them, somehow you'll make it work. that's just how we are as humans.

definitely agree with this!

even if he's not an IB student himself, he can support you and recognize that you're not going to be able to spend as much time together. you can use him in study sessions, practice presentations, recite formulas to him (:

I've managed to maintain a long distance (6000km) relationship for the past year, and even with time difference it hasn't taken away from my school work. It's just about priorities and making time for the 'right' things.

Good luck with the 43 (:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see being in relationship as a road block!

Well it's true - I do get distracted because I have to talk to my bf on skype(can't resist the urge)

but I'm lucky to have him haha :-) He's also doing IB (different school though)and he's excelling in all his subjects

so he helps me a lot :hug:

I actually get motivated from him!!!

So I think it always depend on your perspective!

I am getting married and I am in IB. It is not a problem.

Married???????? So young!!! (no offense)

• 4 months later...

I think the number one thing you must do is spend as much quality time as possible with your significant other. Even if its not nearly as much as usual - even simply just studying together is ''time spent'' together.. keep the spark lit. It's so important. I'm in an amazing relationship (we live together and have been together for 2 years) and I've just finished pre-IB - So i'm very nervous about what IB will do to our relationship. But then again I think that if we can make it through this, we can make it through anything :) Motivation and optimism is key!!

Edited by Alexandralif
  • Like 1

Relationships are good during the IB. There's no better way to relieve stress and have someone with you who is obligated to listen to you complain and love you all the more for it. I was in a serious relationship all through the IB with my girlfriend whom I have been seeing since 8th grade, all the way until now and still going strong. Its been 6 years now. I was the only one who went through the IB in boarding school, she stayed in India and we were miles apart. I think that helped our relationship survive to be honest. Now I'm at Uni in London and she's at MIT, but we still Skype every day and meet as soon as we both arrive home.

If you've found someone who is truly lovely and whom you love to spend time with, then every moment spent with that person is not another moment less of sleep and studying, but a precious moment with a precious person. If anything, your girlfriend/boyfriend can inspire in you the determination to succeed and you can do the same for her/him. Besides, even if your relationship isn't as profound, so to speak, the sex helps alleviate tons of stress, so it's all good. smile.gif

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 3

Relationships can be good and bad. If you're serious about studying, then sure, find some free time, but if you're not doing so well, pick up your game a little. There should be no reason to slack off because of a relationship. If anything, if the partner really loved you, they're try and motivate you ^___^.

I'm in a relationship and have been (in the same one) for both IB1 and IB2 (currently). My boyfriend finished IB last year, and is currently in uni and helps me with physics and maths allll the time :) It appears to be working, so why not? :)

Relationships are good during the IB. There's no better way to relieve stress and have someone with you who is obligated to listen to you complain and love you all the more for it. I was in a serious relationship all through the IB with my girlfriend whom I have been seeing since 8th grade, all the way until now and still going strong. Its been 6 years now. I was the only one who went through the IB in boarding school, she stayed in India and we were miles apart. I think that helped our relationship survive to be honest. Now I'm at Uni in London and she's at MIT, but we still Skype every day and meet as soon as we both arrive home.

If you've found someone who is truly lovely and whom you love to spend time with, then every moment spent with that person is not another moment less of sleep and studying, but a precious moment with a precious person. If anything, your girlfriend/boyfriend can inspire in you the determination to succeed and you can do the same for her/him.

aaaaawwww that's really really sweet!! I envy you.

well mine is going okay I guess although it's a relatively young relationship but I've seen it as both beneficial and disadvantageous at the same time because I like to commit a lot of time talking to him and it kinda makes me put my HW aside so it's both good and bad at the same time! but I'm happy with it. dunno if it will work out long though.

edit: oh and we like to help each other too with our works and motivate each other so it's also advantageous. :D

Edited by Desy Glau

I think relationships whilst doing IB is actually a good thing! its actually proven that if you're in love, you're happier and this can make your grades climb :D But always, too much of a good thing sometimes makes it bad. I knew a couple who dated during IB, and their grades were really good! but then you get exceptions, like this other couple i knew, his grades were terrible, he ended up not getting his diploma, because he spent so much time with his girlfriend that he sometimes forgot that he had work.

So i think being in a relationship has its pros and cons, it just all depends on the couple.

I personally am single, don't get me wrong! being single is great! especially since im in IB2 and im nearing exams, this is the time i really need to concentrate. Sometimes being single is great because theres nothing to tie you down and you can put your heart and soul into getting good grades. Since these are after all the grades which determine your life.

Just my opinion :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same situation...

But I'm with my boyfriend since 3 years (well, it'll be 3 years in October) so I want to believe that everything will be ok.

The hard part begins where I don't live at home (with my parents, sister etc.) but 90 km away cause there wasn't any IB school nearer... So through whole school week I live alone, just studying and gazing at the walls and ceiling. But when the Friday comes I jump in the train after my classes, go to my town for a weekend. And it is REALLY nice to see someone standing on the platform with a rose/smile or both. It's... relaxing. Although I don't party much during the school year... Expection is when someone from my friends' circle have birthday. Somewhere must lie a kind of compromise.

He's not in IB but now he'll be in the last class (eq. for IB2) and in May has exams - Polish Matura. So I think that I hope he'll be busy during the school week too.

I wish you good luck and remember - IB is not your entire life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well we were just over the two year mark and believe it or not i ended it, not because i couldnt make the time with IB but because he couldnt. We would be great together but i have been in hospital intensive care for two weeks and he didnt visit me once hardly concerned on the phone too and he wouldnt have known if after four days of him not calling i called him. and hes all just swimming through life, it sad cos apart from the lack of support hes perfect, i guess just wrong timing.

for every relationship, whether parents friends or bfs or gfs you need five things, if any one thing is not happening then it most likely will not work if you have all five you are probs really happy

1. TRUST

2. HONESTY

3. RESPECT

4. COMMUNICATION

5. SUPPORT

GOOD LUCK PEOPLE IN RELATIONSHIPS HOPE IT MAKES IT THROUGH!!!!

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use text speak. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I think if there is a subject about relationships I will take is as EL (Extreme Level) :blush:

Back to the point is a problem. I guess no. because you find someone supporting you and give you a push to do good things. To impress your girl by being smart and doing good things. However, if the relationship is one sided man/woman you are ****

Also relationship can be beneficial in IB to score more results. For example I help my GF in maths and other subjects. And she helps me in my English essays. So its like you are both caring for each other and scoring high grades...

But relationship were you sneak out of classes to meet up.. HELL NO !!!!

But overall I think relationships makes my IB life much better.

My girlfriend and I were together for a while last year, during IB1, and it was probably the time when my marks were at their lowest. I'd think about her all the time and not concentrate in class. I would even doodle hearts on tests, haha. I guess it depends on the person, but relationships are just too time consuming for me, so I don't bother anymore. I mean, I'll have the time in university, and right now I feel like I should focus on getting there instead of thinking of what to wear for our date on Saturday. I don't know, it's just my opinion, but I'm also a skeptic who doesn't believe in everlasting love, so I wouldn't listen to me if I were you.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if there is a subject about relationships I will take is as EL (Extreme Level) :blush:

LOL

I would join the class with you :P

But back to the OP, I'm currently in a relationship, and I'm in Y2. My boyfriend took IB Diploma as well and is now in his first year of college, so he definitely understands the amount of course work I'm going through and gives me time to work when I need it. Also, we're 12 hours and 11 000km away so that just might help me concentrate a bit more :P I think if you have self-control (and I'm still working on that) you will be able to do just fine in Diploma as long as you tell your significant other you're going to get a lot of homework.

I don't understand the people who are able to focus while in a relationship with a person that's in school with them. I'd be distracted the entire time and fail out. LOL.

I think it's fine but then your partner has to be aware of the workload IB gives you and also that you might not have any time to spend with each other. And also since it is your last year, the pressure will really start building and work will increase :/ but it's not impossible to maintain the relationship. It's relaxing to know that you have someone with you when you have to go through hell. I think its cute and a relationship like that is precious. I hope you guys do remain in a relationship :)

Edited by kim luffy

• 2 weeks later...

I personally never thought of IB being a problem with my relationship. I think it's because we're long distance - he's in the US, I'm on the other side of the world - so we're used to it and don't take things for granted. I've been grumpy a lot lately, but he's a very understanding and patient guy so it's not that big of a problem (I hope... I just feel really bad!) There are times, though, when I think I'm just too distracted talking to him that it encourages me to procrastinate even more. You just gotta set your priorities straight but still know that IB isn't the only thing in your life. One reason why it works out for me so far is because he knows it's a really good program and it's good for my future, and so he wants me to study harder and understands that I need time for school (I don't know, we're just really serious about our relationship, haha).

Edited by holly

I used to be reluctant to enter a relationship because of my studies (even before I started IB), but I realised that it was stupid.

School isn't your entire life. It isn't everything. Or, I should say, DON'T let school take over your life. Grades are important, yes, but you need to find a balance in life. Study hard and play hard. I guess in this case it's 'love hard'? HAHA!

Enjoy being in a relationship and have fun while you're still young.

Me and my boyfriend are in the same year, but only have German together (may god bless you, IB :/). We've been together for almost 2 years now and obviously we meet faaaar more rarely than we used to both at and after school but so far we are managing well. I was scared as heck during the pre-IB summer, that those mythical loads of studying, lessons and stuff will change so much between us, that we won't have any time for each other, and so on... But seriously, what basically everybody here says - IB and school on the whole is not the only thing in your life. Sure, it takes heck a lot of time, you have to be really involved in what you are doing and focused on your aims. It happens that we barely speak with each other for like 2-3 days, when I'm getting overly excited and involved in my History tasks and he's trying to stay the best in Maths but then Friday comes and I stay at his place till small hours and all is perfectly fine, just like it was in our pre-IB life (gosh, are we all dividing are life into pre-IB, IB and IB-grad life? :3) He helps me with my tones of maths homework, I check his English essays... It's not easy, but it's worth it - there is nothing better than a having a person you can talk to any time about anything and it's even better when this person understands the difficulty of being in IB :)