relationships during the IB?

Access Denied

I think it's definitely possible to keep in a relationship and do well. I got with my girlfriend whilst I was already doing the IB, and I've managed fine - doing as well as I'd like :) She understands that it's difficult and lets me work when I need to. Make sure your partner knows what a commitment IB is, and allows time for you to work whenever you need to. My girlfriend is now living 200 miles away from me, as she is a year above and already at university, but we are still together - I suppose in a way the long distance has helped me keep up with my IB work because there's never the temptation to go and see her instead of work! Either way, relationships are possible whatever the situation - just make sure you have a mutual understanding of each others' circumstances and feelings, and allow for them :) Good luck :D

Ok... So now I know how it is. And really? It's hard. Especially cause my boyfriend doesn't understand IB at all. I'm trying to explain it but he either doesn't want to listen to it or doesn't get it. Maybe it'll get better, don't know... But for sure I won't go home like every single weekend (too much work, too much extracurriculum things...) And 100 km isn't just "whatever". I think it's better, than if we lived in the same city all the time...

So we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy from my school who had IB exams in May this year got so engaged in his relationship that he eventually failed IB. Just sayin' ;)

An anomaly no doubt. If you're serious about IB, you'll find time to both study and keep up with a relationship :)

Yeah, I agree - he was more an exception than a rule, majority of students in relationships end up with good results each year :) Actually, he only lacked 1 or 2 points to pass IB

I actually find it a bit strange - I would understand such a behaviour if he was dumped by a girl and had a depression because of it, but seriously - how it is possible to fail IB because of a HAPPY relationship? I just don't get that :dontgetit:

I guess you just get caught up in it. I've done it plenty of times. Just today, I wanted my boyfriend to come over and help me study for physics, knowing full well only a solid hour of study would get done before we got lazy. Butttt, my boyfriend being the sensible guy he is, made me go and study by myself, and I knocked out a whole timezone of papers on my own (Y).

Basically, you just want to be with them as much as possible, and end up sacrificing your school work to see them. That's how you fail IB :(

• 2 months later...

I was in a relationship throughout my first year of IB. We broke up a month before IB2 started, during the end-of-year break. That breakup caused me to lose a lot of time that could be spent studying, instead it was spent moping around in sadness. I am still in the process of moving on, and it has not been easy because I still see him every day in school. We do not speak to each other anymore.

Anyway, my opinion is that if you want to be in a relationship during the IB years, be fully aware of the possibility of a "post breakup depression." Once you are aware that you will be emotionally affected after the breakup, you can make your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I think half of all IB students are "nerds" and inexperienced with relationships so I feel its more sweet when IB kids get together because they seem inexperienced. Sorry for stereotyping. Anyway, if the SO is studious then your grades might even get better. If not, your grades will drop unless you get some extra time somewhere.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sold my soul to procrastination a long time ago, and that on top of a relationship (2 years) have been the cause of a looooot of all-nighters.

On the other hand, both my grades and my boyfriend's have improved significantly because of mutual help. We're both in IB, so that was a big upside.

It really is a test of prioritising and time management skills.

And unfortunately, deciding whether to start/continue a relationship isn't entirely voluntary.

Make what you can out of life, it isn't about grades vs. romance or even grades vs. social life. Take it from an Asian XD

Edited by vandalism

Ok... So now I know how it is. And really? It's hard. Especially cause my boyfriend doesn't understand IB at all. I'm trying to explain it but he either doesn't want to listen to it or doesn't get it. Maybe it'll get better, don't know... But for sure I won't go home like every single weekend (too much work, too much extracurriculum things...) And 100 km isn't just "whatever". I think it's better, than if we lived in the same city all the time...

So we'll see.

I think the issue you are describing is the main problem with IB relationships; because if your significant other doesn't understand and doesn't even want to try and comprehend what your life currently revolves around (IB), then the relationship sounds so doomed. Communication and dedication is so important. I hope everything works out :) The best (and worst) thing about IB is that it passes reeealllly quickly.

its okay to have a relationship when you're in IB, but if you know you REALLY cannot handle it alongside your studies, then don't enter one

Exactly! It's all about self discipline in my opinion; and in a relationship or not, if you don't have self discipline, procrastination is going to get you in the long run either way. I wonder if the survival rate for relationships is higher/lower depending on whether the relationship was already there before IB began or the couple got together during IB?

All of the people that I know that are in relationships and the IB are either not doing so well in their relationship or not doing well in IB.... usually the latter. Not saying its impossible to have the 2 together but just haven't seen it at my school.

What's your experience with having a boyfriend/girlfriend while in IB?

Does your IB class date each other?

*The year before mine did and our TOK teacher called it incest. lol*

My experience is that it's really difficult. My free time is already limited so I end up spending all of it with my girlfriend and none with my non-IB friends. I'm not quite sure how much I'm enjoying the relationship right now....

Well, if you can manage your time, why not?

But for example, I'm in a kind of relationship with a guy who's a senior in IB (I'm a junior) and I study more than he does.

So I basically have to remind him to study (has nothing to do with the relationship, he's just lazy :P)

• 8 months later...
  • 7 years later...