Visual Arts EE general questions

Nemandi

Hi, I have a few questions on visual arts EE:

1. Can I circle specific parts of the original artworks to emphasize the part that I want to talk about? (Using Paint or by hand.) I have described it in the text, but the point can be more clearly seen visually, I think.

2. Do the diagram captions count in the word count?

3. Should I cite in MLA?

4. Can I use endnotes instead of footnotes? Footnotes just make formatting so much harder, especially when trying to fit an image.

5. Also, the images often have to go on a separate page because they are very big, meaning that sometimes I'd have to leave some blank spaces. Would that be penalized in the formatting section?

Thanks.

Edited by Nemandi

1. Can I circle specific parts of the original artworks to emphasize the part that I want to talk about? (Using Paint or by hand.) I have described it in the text, but the point can be more clearly seen visually, I think.

3. Should I cite in MLA?

4. Can I use endnotes instead of footnotes? Footnotes just make formatting so much harder, especially when trying to fit an image.

5. Also, the images often have to go on a separate page because they are very big, meaning that sometimes I'd have to leave some blank spaces. Would that be penalized in the formatting section?

Thanks.

Question 3: You don't have to cite in MLA, you can cite sources in any academically recognized citation style. So you can use styles like MLA, APA, Chicago, or basically any type of citation style out there. Just make sure that you choose ONE style and you stick with it throughout, or you may get marked down in some criterion.

Question 4: As long as you do the proper formatting and give the right information, you can use endnotes. Just make sure that you keep up appearance. Honestly, footnotes are easier to use than endnotes, in my opinion.

Question 5: I'm not so sure about this so you may have to check with someone else, but if it's a major major part of your essay to have the picture in the actual paper, then it's okay to have some white spaces. You're advisor may ask you to put the pictures in the Appendix if they're too obstructive, but he/she probably won't. -_-

Good luck. :)

Edited by JoeGuff

Also, how many illustrations are needed? Generally, is it better to have in-depth analyses on a few (i.e. no more than 10) images, or to have concise analyses on many (i.e. more than 10) images?

And can I add a "random" image on the cover page... just to make it more like an art EE? (Random as in not directly related to the topic, but made by the same artist.) I think if I used a relevant image (i.e. an important one that I'll be analysing), it'd be annoying for the examiner to go back and forth to refer to the image.

Another question: does the title page image need a caption? Or can I just include the caption in the body of the essay, if I'm referring to it?

Thanks!

Edited by Nemandi

• 1 month later...

3. Should I cite in MLA?

Thanks.

Q 5: You can format the picture to be tight so that the text will go around it and not just above and below, it looks better