Do I need economics if i want to study business?

catherine1994

I heard from many people that you should take Economics HL and at least Mathematics SL. But I don't know if they are really the prerequisites for a Business course, or they are just recommended. If possible, Math HL would be great. If not, Math SL will do.

You better play safe though so I'd recommend checking with the uni that you are thinking of applying to.

If you are applying to a school that require the IB Diploma than the University should have a list of IB course requirements. For instance, my friend had to take some specific IB sources in order to go to London and study Psychology at the University College of London. If you plan on going to the USA, than no, you do not have to take economics or math SL, but the universities do look at the courses you chose and the courses you had available to you. It would benefit you greatly to have both economics and math HL, but math SL is fine. None of the courses for the USA are required, you must simply have a math course and a social studies course, science course, etc. Check into your universities, if they do not have a list on their website, email an administrator. They tend to always answer emails quickly if the school is not too large.

Most reputable business universities have microeconomics and macroeconomics as their first year courses.

Economics won't be a prerequisite for entry, but if you take it, it's guaranteed to help you in your first year and it might just give you a few credits depending on where you're going for university.

Definitely take Math HL. It's extremely helpful and some universities in the UK require it. Once again, it'll help you in your first year courses.

• 2 months later...