Social Life + IB = impossible?

FeralKid

IB time management requires EXTREME self-disipline to handle that kind of time managemet. After a while and a couple long essays, who wants to disipline themselfs like that anymore? The trouble is as soon as we let go and have fun, we'll be stuck working on some tedious IA the night before. Then the cycle starts again : ( Study groups are kind-of a social life.... depending on how you look at it. Mixing social life and school life can be annoying, but also beneficial. Some of my non-IB friends have randomly heard about how quantum physics worked becuase I brought it up in a conversation. It helped me remember it more though!

Indeed, the balancing act is not the easiest one.....

• 2 months later...

My friends and I live quite a comfortable social life. We manage to go out almost every weekends. Those weekends that we have big tests or a huge assignment to pass up, we knock back on the gatherings. But really, I don't think it's hard to juggle social life in IB. At the end, it's all about prioritizing. Not hanging out during the week and having our homework completed, and also keeping up to date with our readings, gives a lot of time to enjoy ourselves. :)

Guest KAPOWW!!

My friends and I live quite a comfortable social life. We manage to go out almost every weekends. Those weekends that we have big tests or a huge assignment to pass up, we knock back on the gatherings. But really, I don't think it's hard to juggle social life in IB. At the end, it's all about prioritizing. Not hanging out during the week and having our homework completed, and also keeping up to date with our readings, gives a lot of time to enjoy ourselves. :)

Yeah, well put, though personally, I don't want to get positive about IB, I enjoy saying IB sucks ... :P;)

CAS helps with that, a lot. IB does not deprive your social life if you make smart and easy decisions. Become involved in activities you like. Talk to people in your electives. Volunteer, join a team/club/committee! Keep open with all your peers. Be friendly! Seriously, there is no real skill or 10 year art to master to have a social life.

i get smashed every weekend, it helps me to focus in class, especially maths hl

Hahaha, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic... If not, and getting smashed does actually make you focus better, then my understanding of the world is lost.

As for me, I am aiming to get 45/45 for IB and I do a lot of work, as well as play quite a bit of sport. I don't have a massve social life, but I aso procrastinate a little bit (like now) so I would say it's definately possible - but very hard to do. Basically, if you are extremely intelligent (don't have to do too much study) and you work extremely effectively (and don't do too much sport) then yeah, IB + Social life would work. For me however, any more than a basic social life means that I get no sleep and no spare time whatsoever...

Well, I go to an IB school that is not in my area, practically to get well with my housemates etc, is my social life. One doesn't have to go till the extreme of partying till 6 everyday to own a social life... At least that is to me..

On top of that, I managed to chair my school's largest event, that includes the public and being active in other things as well. Joining clubs and knowing people from non-IB program as well as going for outside classes that involves other people, gives me a pretty great social life as well. And, I don't have to give up studying at the same time.

Edited by kijly

Well to tell you something about my schedule. Of course there is the normal IB diploma program course load. But on top of that I manage to play baseball at an elite level with approximately 25 hours a week. On top of that, I manage to make short films and have a decent social life. (Oh I also do relatively well in school). So to all those people that suggest IB + Life won't work or that you won't have social life - Don't worry. Trust me. You will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Depends on your priorities, if you choose to have a social life, you might as well forget the diploma, but if you choose IB, its up to you

That's not strictly true. I know of people who have a brilliant social life, and are doing incredibly well in the IB. I guess it goes back to the old argument: it depends on the individual.

My social life isn't what it used to be, I'm confined to my house sometimes to finish bits of work although having said that, I make time to relax every once in a while.

Which reminds me. Tomorrow I'm off to a Mexican restaurant, to celebrate. :P

IMO you have to have serious dedication to be able to maintain both at once. You basically have to commit to a life of 0% procrastination and 100% efficiency when you do work. If I converted all the time I spent procrastination into social time then I would have had a decent social life.

However, as a human who procrastinates, I had to sacrifice all my free time to work (+ procrastination) because I'm not mechanically and ruthlessly efficient enough to achieve my potential and still have enough time to do everything I wanted socially. Only some things - they had to make way for academic because IMO Uni decides the rest of your life and IB decides Uni, so at the time one seemed equal to another and I wasn't going to do badly in IB and therefore not Uni and the rest of my life purely just to enjoy myself.

Which is sad, because enjoying yourself is kinda what life is about :P

I think it's perfectly doable. Of course, you might not have the best social life ever but you can still have a respectful level and still do admirably well.

For me, in grade 11 I didn't feel the pressure of IB all that much and had a very nice social life where I would hang out almost every day. And I still got two 7's. But come grade 12, with uni and scholarship apps as well as HL classes, EE, TOK, WL and all that, my social life has definitely dipped. Not to say I don't have one, but it's nothing compared to grade 11. But I know that once Jan is over, I'll be back to a social life since the majority of the things I listed above will be finished.

I think it depends on what year you're in. Grade 11 was so soft for me and I felt very relaxed and had plenty of time for a social life. Grade 12 is really only stressful because of non-IB stuff like uni and scholorship apps. Oh and HL History. I swear if I didn't have HL History I would have like 5 hours of extra free time every week :P

All in all, it depends on the year, what subjects you're taking and what kind of person you are. I know some people who enjoy staying up till 4 am every day just doing work and guess what, they still only get 5-6's. I think balance is really important and you should try and get as much of a social life as possible :)

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's certainly difficult to maintain one. Especially your second year of IB when you're inundated with IA's and EA's. Now being a senior in IB I realize how much more time I had junior year. I've only taken two IB exams and I can say I'm about a 4/3. I know... not the best. Trust me, I beat myself up everyday for those scores. Anyway back to the prompt, social life + IB = ambitious, haha.

Eh it's all about how you balance out your life. I personally am in Forensics Speech, the plays/musicals, choir, and teach Taekwondo on the side and still have time for to keep at least a B+ average. Just do your homework when it's assigned and take whatever class time you can to get it all done