Economics Internal Assessment

Hey, if i have an article which talks about a couple of companies for my Economics commentary and I need some additional information or some sort of background for the company(ies). Is it OK to include more information (with references) on the company than what is given in the article.

Please help because my teacher doesnt have any idea about ib economics

thx

Hi,

I don't see why you need background for these companies in your commentary - could you elaborate on that?

You can't have references in the article itself, but you can use footnotes to refer to literary work/websites in the commentary itself. However, I advise you to be very careful with that, especially in this case since I can't see why you need background for the commentaries.

good luck with your commentary!

hey,

what i mean is can i use information about the same case.? Rather the issue mentioned in the article because sometimes the infoming the article itself is not suffice.

eg:- i am doing a commentary on merging of the two giant gaming software publishers Vivendi and Activision (you might have heard of it if you sorta play games a bit)

anyways

If the article doesn't enough info about the issue its discussing like the exact stats of profits etc., then am i allowed to refer to other sources? Thnx a lot

ans i would like to upload my article but i don't really know how to

(do i need to be VIP for that?)

i know what you mean. I would also like to know the answer to your question. I'm having similar problems. Out teacher tells us that we should choose our articles carefully, try pick the ones with enough info... but i dont know, can we use info from sources other than the article itself?

You can have references in the commentary, but the data and stuff you actually analyze have to be included in the article. So you have to refer to the article in your analysis, nothing external. External references are OK for definitions and external examples, though I don't recommend you use the latter since it's better to have your own examples.

All analysis must be based on the article! If it's irrelevant, you get points deducted!

It is not allowed to edit, add or modify the article in any way. So don't do anything to the article, just copy&paste and highlight the important parts if it's long.

So Mark, do you mean that you refer to parts of your article in your text? That's exactly what you are supposed to do! :D Bear in mind that you lose your chance in getting a 7 or a 6 if your commentary is too long.

To make it short and simple:

What i mean is can i use information about the same case?

No. I strongly advise against it. Change your article if it doesn't have enough material to analyze.

But i don't know, can we use info from sources other than the article itself?

Yes, but it has to be something that you do not analyze. All analysis has to refer to the article. Definitions and such are OK.

Yes, you can use other sources, but like I said: they can not add to the article, or not deal with the article. You also shouldn't use other sources to provide analysis, only definitions since you want to show the moderator that you know Economics yourself and that you don't have to copy from someone else.

Yes, you can use other sources, but like I said: they can not add to the article, or not deal with the article. You also shouldn't use other sources to provide analysis, only definitions since you want to show the moderator that you know Economics yourself and that you don't have to copy from someone else.

What deissi said is crucial, u really need to focus on your understanding of the economics concepts, thats what they are marking u on so take into consideration that for them it is more important that you understand the article from an economical point of view than information fronm the companies