History source-based questions

meatball

I'm having a lot of trouble with them. My teacher says my problem lies within the techniques I have to use while answering, though I'm not sure what techniques she's talking about. Is there a 'special' way to answer source-based papers? I'm doing it in HL and I really need a 6 at least. Help? D:

Source-based questions are actually quite easy.

It's all a matter of following the command term the question has (i.e. describe, discuss, compare, evaluate) and connecting the source image/document to a historical context. Also, look at the mark band. If it's a 10 mark question, it'll probably need more than a sentence to answer; it it's a 2 mark question, they probably don't expect a paragraph!

Edited by qliphoth93

Something I remember from SL, woo! I seem to remember that the mark scheme for any question that had anything to do with sources (paper1 I think :P) will want the sources directly used. Use them as an example or whatever in your answer because it actually like 2 marks for doing it out of 8 I think. The last question where it's like using your own knowledge and the sources yada yada yada yada, if you don't use the sources you're automatically going to miss out on 2 marks.

Edited by 2401 Tangents
no text speak

Yes, exactly, you must have origin, purpose, value and limitation. Another tip our teacher gives us is about the limitation. He says we all make a major mistake of saying: "the source is biased". When we write that on our practice tests he always rights a comment that says: "duh, of course it's biased". All that to say, specifically for the limitation, look at who exactly is writing it and with what purpose, and than write something like "this source could be more sympathetic towards the left-wing because the author is a member of the communist party" or "This source could be hostile towards the right wing because balblabla". a good way to look at it: don't say "biased".

Hope this helps :P