Choosing courses for IB?

Wisteria

Hey everyone,

In a few weeks I'll have to do my course selection for IB. I've decided on everything but Group 3 subjects; I've narrowed it down to History or Economics HL. I'm really conflicted because I love both subjects equally. :P

Just some extra background info:

- I love the history teacher, but the economics teacher is meh from what people in the class is saying

- I plan on doing business in university - would not taking economics put me at a big disadvantage?

Is true that it is harder to get 6 or 7 in History than Econ? This is also a factor in my decision, because I don't want to drag my marks down too much.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? :)

On a final note, does anyone know anything about Geography SL and its level of difficulty?

Thanks in advance! :)

Do what qliphoth93 said. If you don't mind changing what you picked for group six, you could take both.

And addressing the "Is true that it is harder to get 6 or 7 in History than Econ?" question, I can't personally answer that, but since you love both subjects, you will be motivated to do well in them and this, in theory at least, should result in high marks and a 6 or 7 on the exam. I can't answer the part about geography since my school doesn't offer it.

I happened to post just only a minute after you replied, sorry! Well in that case where you take one or the other, I guess just pick whichever you feel more comfortable with. Although since you want to study business, you may want to go with economics.

Edited by emilynev

No emilynev, the school makes him unable to do that. Same in my school we can't take both Econs and Geog, Bio and Physics, B&M and Chem and Art simply because of timetable matters.

You want to study Business in uni. So if I were you I'd take Econs HL. It's easy I should say. I think it is a prerequisite but you may want to check with the website to make sure if you must do Econs HL.

From what I heard, Econs is the easiest group3 subject. I don't know if it's true, but it is actually simple, yet you have to understand the concept and memorise definitions. The IA is also very simple. You just need to find articles and write commentaries.

I don't know much about IB History but I personally find History very boring because I don't like it. I guess it's not really relevant for a Business course, though.

My friends who are taking Geog seem not to score well, all of them. Even a diligent student also can't get a 6. Maybe it's because of the teacher, but I don't know. I am taking Econs instead of Geog.

Choosing a subject is, yes, a matter of liking&enjoying the subject or not; but not only that, also what you want to study in uni. Pick wisely. Consult with your teachers and IB coordinator, too.

I would go with economics. Even if it's not required for your program, for instance, I would imagine that some background knowledge would be beneficial.

Don't forget that what you've heard about the teacher is only hearsay. You may find the rumours to be completely untrue (or at least not as bad as what people say). Plus even if you take econ in university, you may have some not-so-good professors (just like there are not-so-good teachers) but does that mean that you would change your career path because of one professor?

No emilynev, the school makes him unable to do that. Same in my school we can't take both Econs and Geog, Bio and Physics, B&M and Chem and Art simply because of timetable matters.

Yeah they posted that while I was typing up my response so I didn't see that until I already posted.