Psychology EE -- HIV/AIDS

zee101

I have been working on my extended essay and I am worried that my research question is not specific enough. Here it is:

What is the impact of HIV/AIDS on the development of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder on orphaned children in South Africa?

What do you guys think, should I try and narrow it down or is it okay? Also, I was looking at the psychology EE guidelines and it says that students that did not take the IB psychology course are at a high risk of obtaining very low marks, and since I have never studied psychology before I am really freaked!!! Has anyone heard of someone who's written their EE in psychology but never took the course, and still got pretty decent marks?

It's absolutely fine. I heard many times that an EE in Psychology isn't all too difficult if you're willing to devote hours into reading all these different theories. For your case, this is especially true because you're not taking the subject. Otherwise, it's not like jumping into a Chemistry essay without knowing even the basics. Psychology is all theory; nothing is really set in stone, you're just going to have to start reading a lot, and from different sources. There are many helpful websites online, too. Why don't you try googling further information on post-traumatic stress?

By the way, I personally think your topic is narrow enough. Orphaned children in South Africa is just right; it couldn't get more specific than that. It's always best to check with your EE coordinator and supervisor, though.