Remark Advice

laryxle

I'm contemplating remarks in the two subjects I got 6's in, and I was wondering if those who have had experience with remarks could give some advice.

Firstly, in Japanese I got 83 overall. In May 2010 the cutoff for a 7 was 84, so i'm 1% off, and I would say that the November 2010 was harder than May 2010 so I can't see the cutoff being that much higher. My IBC says I should get a remark here. How often do lang B's go up?

For chemistry it's a little more ambiguous. I got 75 overall, the May 2010 TZ1 cutoff was 75, but the TZ2 cutoff was 79. IMO the Nov 2010 chem exam was similar to TZ1, so I think the cutoff will be somewhere around 76-78, definitely lower than 80 which is what it was in Nov 2009 (that was a really easy exam though). So I think i'm either 1-3% off of a 7 then. I think there are definitely marks I can get in P2 and P3, which were lower than I expected.

When people are as close to the boundaries as I am, how often do their marks go up? And what are the chances of one of these actually going down to a 5? I need to get 44 to be guaranteed my first preference for uni, and I feel quite confident about Japanese, but then is it worth it to just take a chance with chemistry so I /might/ have the possibility of getting 45?

Also, for people who got 7's in chem sl or jap b sl in Nov 2010, could you please let me know what your overall mark was, it might help me to assess the boundaries.

Thanks!

I think you should definitely get both Japanese and Chemistry remarked. I got a high 6 when I took the English B SL exam and got remarked up by 7-8 points(I think) and ended up with a 7, so B languages definitely go up.

Also, seeing as you are probably 1-3 points off a 7 in chemistry you should also get it remarked and hope for the best.

You already have 43 points though! :)

Definitely go for the language B. I had mine remarked (my % was actually on the boundary for a 7, which was just too irritating for me that they'd not given me one!) and it went up by quite a bit. It's a nice subjective subject ;)

For Chemistry, I would wait for the boundaries to come out :yes: If you can get hold of them, you might be able to see how far you were off by. The problem is that Chem is quite an objective subject, so they're unlikely to have missed points or given them where they were undeserved. Some people at my school had their science papers remarked and their marks didn't budge in either direction, so unless you really are on the boundary, it might not be worth it. Unless of course you've got the money spare and fancy seeing anyway -- just it's quite a costly manner of being sure :P

Thanks guys, i'm definitely getting Japanese remarked. I might go for chem as well, just because japanese is likely to go up, so that won't cost anything, if it goes up to 44 then why not try for 45, it will kill me thinking 'what if', and i'm at least 5 marks but probably much more than that away from a 5 so I can't see it going down a grade.

Okay now everything is more confusing!

My IBC just emailed the Nov 2010 grade boundaries to me. Japanese is actually way higher than I thought (87), so i'm 4% off, but chemistry is 76 so i'm on the border, and I just need 1 mark from paper 2 (i'm 1 mark off a 7 in that paper) to go up. So now i'm confused! I was deadset on japanese but now i'm deadset on chemistry. For my Japanese to go up I would need at least 5 extra marks from P1, which is the more objective of the two papers, and that is just so unlikely. Hmm :P

But anyway there's not really anything to lose from getting remarked, right?

Apart from money and a small (and unlikely) risk that your mark will go down, then nope :)

Generally I'd say that if you have the cash, it's worth a shot. One of my friends gained an extra 3 IB points (and consequently the diploma!) this way, just getting random papers remarked.

• 1 year later...