Choosing an Extended Essay Topic Suggestion

Nicholas Tsui

Hey everyone, so the deadline for choosing a EE topic is coming up and I have been thinking about it since Christmas Break, but I still can't even decide which subject to choose. So far, I am thinking about doing Mathematics,Economics, or Computer Science. But the question is, how do I come up with a narrowed question when I didn't even learn most of the stuff yet? Right now, for Computer Science, over the semester 1, I have just been doing Java Blue Pelican Java lessons and I have not actually gained any knowledge specifically on Computer Science such as history or so, its just pure programming lessons. For Economics, I am really interested in for example, the theory of the firm, and perhaps the fiscal government policies that countries have. For mathematics, I can't be really sure that I want to do it, but so far, I have enjoyed like solving math, yet it doesn't mean I actually like math. So basically, I just want to ask the people who did their EEs, how were you able to find a question or topic to investigate on? Any suggestions or advices would be great. Thanks a lot.

I think I am the type which I have no clue what my true interest is in. How sad.

With your EE topic, I found it was one of those things where you are better just to choose one quickly rather than debate it forever. Pick whatever subject you are interested it, you are good at, and one you wont hate spending hours on doing you EE. Some people at my school are still half debating which subjects they want to do, which isn't good because time they could have been using to narrow down their research question they are still stuck on the subject. Once you have a subject, forget about all the other subjects you aren't doing any more, get with your supervisor and just talk to them about some ideas you may possible have. Your supervisor should be able to lead you in a better direction and you will find in no time you have a good topic.

Don't worry if you don't have the complete knowledge yet, you are not supposed to, that's part of the EE process.

From what you have told me, economics might be a good choice for you, since you seem really interested in it have at least have some ideas. But the choice is up to you, just don't delay it too long and once you choose get on to it.

I second what Kiwiatheart said. Good advice.

Some other tips: if you are not sure about the subject you wish to pursue, a good route I always suggest to people is to:

1. sit down with some paper

2. write out for each subject what you are interested in (if you absolutely hate the subject, don't bother writing about that one)

3. write what you like about each specific topic- meaning, what issues, topics, events, people, books, etc.

4. from your paper, which subject has the most 'hardcore' ideas (not ambiguous)

5. start looking more into those 'hardcore' ideas and see if there are any controversial topics or topics rarely mentioned

6. start from there

Read some EE samples! Read some of the 50 excellent EE <_<

I suggest you not to do a Math EE if you actually do not like Math. Finding a Math EE topic is a real pain in the ass so you better don't do it especially if you don't like Math.

If I were you I'd do an Econs EE. I suggest the topic to be something around externalities or market structure. Maybe you could try to determine a market structure of an industry in your area. Or probably find out what externality your school has caused (because my school has actually caused some + and - externalities and somebody is doing their EE on that). Think and consult with your Econs teacher :P

Don't forget to read the EE guide