Loftus and Zanni (1975)

Hexa

I've decided to do a study based on Loftus and Zanni (1975) for my IA, but I'm having trouble finding the actual published article.

It's the study where a car crash was shown to the subjects, and either "Did you see the broken headlight?" or "Did you see a broken headlight?" were asked.

Anyone know where I could find it?

I think this is it:

http://www.psy.lmu.de/allg2/download/audriemmo/ws1011/witness_testimony.pdf

or:

ACCESSION NUMBER: 1975-21258-001

DOCUMENT TYPE: Journal-Article

MEDIA TYPE: Print-Paper

AUTHOR: Loftus,-Elizabeth-F; Zanni,-Guido

AUTHOR AFFILIATION: Loftus,-Elizabeth-F: U Washington

TITLE: Eyewitness testimony: The influence of the wording of a question.

PUBLICATION YEAR: 1975

SOURCE: Bulletin-of-the-Psychonomic-Society. 1975 Jan; Vol 5(1): 86-88

PUBLISHER: US: Psychonomic Society, Inc.

ISSN (PRINT VERSION): 0090-5054

LANGUAGE: English

ABSTRACT: Conducted 2 experiments in which Ss viewed a film of an automobile accident and then answered questions about events occurring in the film. 100 graduate students were Ss in Exp I, and 60 14-20 yr old Ss recruited in a library served in Exp II. Relative to questions containing an indefinite article (e.g., Did you see a broken headlight?), questions which contained a definite article (e.g., Did you see the broken headlight?) produced (a) fewer uncertain or "I don't know" responses; and (b) more "recognition" of events that never, in fact, occurred. Results, which are consistent with the view that questions asked subsequent to an event can cause a reconstruction in one's memory of that event, have important implications for courtroom practices and eyewitness investigations. (16 ref) (PsycINFO Database Record © 2002 APA, all rights reserved)

KEY CONCEPTS: wording of question, eyewitness testimony, graduate students and 14-20 yr olds

MAJOR DESCRIPTORS: *Grammar-; *Legal-Processes; *Memory-; *Sentence-Structure; *Suggestibility-

CLASSIFICATION CODE: 3200-Psychological-and-Physical-Disorders; 3200; 32

POPULATION: Human

SPECIAL FEATURE: References

UPDATE CODE: 19750701

Tell me if this works. If not, I'll try and find another.

Edited by ~Julie~
  • Like 1

That was quick Julie! It isn't the first one but the first one does provide a nice summary of what they did which should suffice (you can still cite the original article anyway :)). I couldn't get the original article in pdf form because, according to the bulletin of psychonomic society, they are currently transferring (scanning) their old articles. Since I have access I emailed them requesting this article for you but whether they actually reply with it is anyone's guess.

I wouldn't wait around for the pdf, just get cracking! Here is an IA that scored a 7 on the Loftus and Palmer study that should help. I believe there's another one on this forum if you have VIP access.

Best of luck and let us know if you need any more assistance.

That was quick Julie! It isn't the first one but the first one does provide a nice summary of what they did which should suffice (you can still cite the original article anyway ;)). I couldn't get the original article in pdf form because, according to the bulletin of psychonomic society, they are currently transferring (scanning) their old articles. Since I have access I emailed them requesting this article for you but whether they actually reply with it is anyone's guess.

I wouldn't wait around for the pdf, just get cracking! Here is an IA that scored a 7 on the Loftus and Palmer study that should help. I believe there's another one on this forum if you have VIP access.

Best of luck and let us know if you need any more assistance.

I'm also trying to do this study for my IA and I need the original study. I was wondering if you know of anywhere that I can find it. I need the full text of the original study.

• 1 month later...

I'm also trying to do this study for my IA and I need the original study. I was wondering if you know of anywhere that I can find it. I need the full text of the original study.

When I was organizing the sample internal assessments, I noticed that almost nobody cited the original article for Loftus & Zanni, so don't worry. You won't be penalized for using secondary sources like books that explain what the original experiment did :).

• 3 years later...