• strategies for writing commentaries
  • approaching prose
  • helpful terminology
  • quick tips specifically for IB English World Literature Assignments

TERMINOLOGY TO KNOW BEFORE BEGINNING TO ANALYZE OR WRITE IN A LITERARY MANNER

Literary Devices:

• Diction
    • the important and individual words the author uses
    • jargon; slang-colloquial; sophisticated individual words to create attitude
    • Imagery
    • the word pictures creates by groups of words
    • word images

[*]Details

• Broken down into three major categories:
      • speech
      • appearance
      • thought
      • action

[*]used to characterize someone/something and/or to create setting

[*]Often confused with images, these are more precisely facts, and are notable not only for what is included but what is purposefully omitted

[*]what specific facts are included and what is left out

[*]Language

• this term describes the characteristics of the body of words used
    • terms like slang, scholarly, jargon, denote language

[*]Syntax/Sentence Structure

• Expressed in its most elemental form, this notes that short sentences are often emotional or assert and that longer sentences move toward more reasonable or even scholarly intent
    • length- short or long

[*]Motifs

• a special category to its own- can occur in the form of any of the other literary devices
    • a reoccurring object, concept or structure
    • two contrasting elements in a work (e.g. good and evil, dark and light, love and hatred, etc.)
    • a reoccurring word (diction)
    • a reoccurring symbol
    • a reoccurring symbol that leads to a detail
    • a reoccurring subject, theme, idea, etc., esp. in a literary, artistic, or musical work
    • e.g. clothing, seasons, colors, revenge, betrayal, love, religion, journey, etc.

Narrative Techniques:

• Plot
    • events- external or internal
    • sequence- flashback, chronological, in medias res
    • narrative pace- what to leave out, what to include

[*]Point of view

• first person- character, observer, naive
    • omniscient- all knowing vs. limited objective omniscient
    • stream of consciousness

[*]Setting

• place; time; physical details; circumstances; cultural specifics; etc.
    • helps establish atmosphere which leads to attitude/tone

[*]Characterization

• direct presentation- tell the reader directly
    • indirect presentation- shows reader the character in action; infer from what is said or done
    • dialogue
    • characterization can also be the effect of utilizing certain techniques rather than being a technique itself

[*]Style

• equivalent to the Literary Techniques, yet fall under Narrative Techniques
    • symbol- means more than what it is
    • irony- suggests discrepancy
    • diction- denotation; connotation
    • figurative language
    • syntax
    • detail
    • imagery (can create sound and other senses)
    • repetition
    • juxtaposition/contrast
    • motifs- recurring object, concept or structure; two contrasting elements in a book; etc.

TIPS:

• Remember: Style=Literary Devices, and Literary Devices fall under the category of Narrative Techniques

HOW TO READ PROSE EFFECTIVELY

First Reading

• Read the passage carefully, with a highlighter/stick-notes in your hand
  • Underline with your highlighter or mark with your stick-notes the following items
    • Comparisons (metaphors, similes, personification...)
    • Images (word pictures)
    • Word which have definite emotional connotations
    • Sound or sense words and phrases; imagery that creates sounds and senses (creates a picture)
    • Alliteration, consonance, assonance
    • Colors
    • Allusions

Second Reading

1. With a different-colored pen, highlight strands of language which seem to fir together (e.g. images and words connected with darkness, childhood, religion, etc.). This part is very important.
  2. Mark words or phrases which seem to belong to a specialized jargon or a certain type of diction (such as words or groups of words which are used by a particular trade or profession, or words which seem to indicate a type of speech such as formal, slang, colloquial, etc.)
  3. After completing this process, you will begin to see the emergence of a pattern of language, or perhaps more than one pattern. This pattern is called a strand of imagery and its emergence will lead you toward the true meaning of the passage.

APPROACHING A PROSE COMMENTARY

Begin by jotting down your own reactions and observations. As a second stage, the following may help you explore further and organize your ideas:

• Focus
    • What is the passage about?

[*]Point of View

• Is the attitude of the narrator significant?
    • What is the narrator's attitude to his/her subject?
    • What is the tone of the passage?
    • From whose point of view is the passage told?
    • Does this change in the course of the passage?
    • Is the point of view changes in the passage, what effects are gained from this change?

[*]Central Character

• Is there a central character?
    • What do we learn about him/her?
    • How do we learn about him/her (others' comments, description, interior monologue, etc.)?
    • Is there anything significant about his/her relationships?
    • How do we feel about him/her/them?

[*]Chronology/Time

• Is the passage narrated chronologically, or does it look forwards or backwards at any point?
    • In either case, why is this done?
    • What does it achieve?
    • Is time of significance?

[*]Structure

• How is the passage structures?
    • Does it fall into several sections, or is it one unbroken piece of writing?
    • What effects does its structure have?
    • One what rationale is its structure based?

[*]Description/Language

• What part does description play (does it provide setting, add to atmosphere, tell us about the characters, etc)?
    • How are diction or images used and what effect do they create?
    • Comment on images and diction that enhance or create meaning.

[*]Beginning/Ending

• Is there anything striking about either the beginning or ending of the prose or both of these?
    • Punctuation
    • Is there anything unusual about punctuation, sentence length and complexity?
    • Invitation
    • How are we being invited to read the passage (with empathy, experiencing the feelings and thoughts of the character or narrator, critically, with judgment, curiosity, etc.)?

SUGGESTIONS FOR INTEGRATING QUOTATIONS

1. Use a signal phrase that is not a complete sentence followed by a comma and then a quote
  2. Use a signal phrase that is a complete sentence followed by a full colon and then a quote
  3. Use a bit of a quote in your own sentence

PROBLEMS THAT OCCUR WHEN IB EXAMINERS READ WORLD LITERATURE ESSAYS:

Topics:

• Not literary
  • Too broad
  • Forced comparisons
  • Lack of clear expression/confused
  • Oversimplification of works

Treatment:

• More description or narration
  • Apparent ignorance of cultural background
  • Presenting just a catalog of similarities
  • Neglect of contrasts and differences
  • Use of examples without due analysis of impact

Presentation and Language:

• Introduction too lengthy, general or biographical
  • Conclusion merely reiterates the body of the essay
  • Careless writing, lack of adequate proof-reading
  • Quotations not cited in full
  • Poor integration of quotations
  • Lack of bibliography

Edited by ~Julie~
  • Like 9

Comparing and Contrasting Two Literary Works, i.e. World Literature Assessment 1

I've always been taught that you kind of "mix" the books. A regular essay can split up the paragraphs according to the book.

Example of an average essay according to my teacher:

• Paragraph 1: aspect 1 book 1
  • Paragraph 2: aspect 2 book 1
  • Paragraph 3: aspect 1 book 2
  • Paragraph 4: aspect 2 book 2

Example of a regular/slightly above average essay:

• Par. 1: aspect 1 book one
  • Par. 2: aspect 1 book 2
  • Par. 3: aspect 2 book 1
  • Par. 4: aspect 2 book 2 etc etc

But the way my teacher says to do it to make it move away form "regular" to "exceptional" is by mixing both books into one paragraph

• Paragraph 1: aspect 1 in book 1 and 2
  • Paragraph 2: apsect 2 in book 1 and 2
  • Paragraph 3: aspect 2 in book 1 and 2 (sometimes one aspect will have to be two paragraphs long, depending on the amount of ideas you have)

and the analysis would look something like:

• In book 1, the author utilizes something to achieve something. Quote with evidence than a sentence of analysis (so what does the author achieve or whatever). TRANSITION On the other hand/Similarly/Contrastingly/In contrast, book 2 uses something to create something

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions for Brainstorming your WL1 and Not Losing Hope!

Getting started with your World Literature Assessment 1 can be one of the hardest problems. People tend to procrastinate their writing because they don't know where to begin. Therefore, I have come up with a set of tips, from my own personal experiences, in order to stay motivated, get all of your ideas ready and written down on paper, and start writing! Here we go...

Choosing a Topic

Choosing a topic for your WL1 can be very difficult. Many questions arise when trying to figure out the perfect topic: Is the topic too narrow, too broad? Can I write a lot about the topic (to fill up the prescribed word count)? Etc.

Here are some tips to help you choose a topic:

• Your topic should be from books:
  • You enjoyed and are interested in
  • You feel you have a strong understanding about
  • You can argue and analyze
  • You can identify the main themes

STEP 1: Take a seat and write!

• Sit down in a comfortable spot with your books and some paper and a pen.
  • Start with one book only.
  • Begin writing down all of the main themes that occurred in the book.
  • Do this for the other books.
  • Now match them up:
    • Compare and contrast the main themes
    • Are any of the main themes the same or similar?
    • Do any of the main themes connect in any way?

[*]Make graphs, tables or drawings to compile your ideas into an organized manner

STEP 2: Which ideas will you use?

• Which ideas do you like the best (are interested in the most)?
  • Do you think you can write a long essay about that idea or those multiple ideas?
  • Does your idea connect with the overall meaning of the books?
    • Sometimes you find themes that are relevant only to that passage, rather than the whole book. If you choose a theme like that, you will have problems finding supporting quotes and the ideas will only apply to small portions of the book(s). Watch out!

STEP 3:Deduction, Ideas and Analysis.

Now, you have the two books you wish to compare and contrast, and you have your ideas. On to the next step…

• Take the two books and the main ideas you have written down, discard the other book.
  • Go through each book individually and find supporting quotes for the ideas.
  • Once you have the quotes, analyze them.
    • Literary devices
    • Narrative devices
    • Special techniques
    • Specific voice of the author(s), etc.

[*]After analyzing, sit back and think (when thinking, you will still need to WRITE, so keep that paper and pen in hand):

• Do any of the aspects you analyzed contribute to the overall theme of the books?
      • If they do, keep them. If they do not, discard them. An author may use a certain technique, but it is not always relevant for the themes/ideas you are dealing with.

STEP 4: Thinking is over, time for that topic to come out:

• What themes have you discovered during your brainstorming that could be a topic of analysis and discussion?
  • Formulate that idea into a statement.
  • Take a good look at your statement (which will be your title, unless you change it)
    • Is it clear?
    • Will it bring in personal thought?
    • Will it require a solid level of analysis from you?
    • Will it interest the reader(s)?
    • Does it interest you?
    • Will you have to utilize your critical thinking skills to write about this topic?
    • Is the topic new and innovative?

If you answered “yes” to all of the above questions, then you have officially formulated your topic!

Step 5: Start writing your introduction, and formulate your thesis statement (keep in mind, your thesis statement may change depending on how your ideas change throughout the writing process). Break down your ideas into paragraphs, and you are good to go.

Refer to the following links for in-depth tips and help with the actual "writing process" of your essay:

• 1 month later...

Hey Julie..

im taking hl english as well. would you happen to have anymore notes that could help me on analytical writing. I tend to repeat and run out of points easily

Thanks a ton

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak

Hey Julie..

im taking hl english as well. would u happen to have anymore notes that could help me on analytical writing. I tend to repeat and run out of points easily

Thanks a ton

This is the most detailed stuff I have, but I DO know of some extra stuff, but it's at school. Once I get to school I'll get it and see if there is anything more I can add in, especially concerning analytical writing and making points in essays :)

• 6 months later...

Hey Julie,

been a while since ive been on

ANYHOO

so ive started writing my english hl ee.

My topic is

An Examination of the importance of cultural context in the development of the protagonist in Alan Paton’s Cry the Beloved Country and Anita Desai’s Baumgartner’s Bombay.

any tips?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting started with your World Literature Assessment 1 can be one of the hardest problems. People tend to procrastinate their writing because they don't know where to begin. Therefore, I have come up with a set of tips, from my own personal experiences, in order to stay motivated, get all of your ideas ready and written down on paper, and start writing! Here we go...

Choosing a Topic

Choosing a topic for your WL1 can be very difficult. Many questions arise when trying to figure out the perfect topic: Is the topic too narrow, too broad? Can I write a lot about the topic (to fill up the prescribed word count)? Etc.

• Now match them up:

[*]Make graphs, tables or drawings to compile your ideas into an organized manner

• Do you think you can write a long essay about that idea or those multiple ideas?
    • Sometimes you find themes that are relevant only to that passage, rather than the whole book. If you choose a theme like that, you will have problems finding supporting quotes and the ideas will only apply to small portions of the book(s). Watch out!

Now, you have the two books you wish to compare and contrast, and you have your ideas. On to the next step…

• Take the two books and the main ideas you have written down, discard the other book.
    • Literary devices
    • Narrative devices
    • Special techniques

[*]After analyzing, sit back and think (when thinking, you will still need to WRITE, so keep that paper and pen in hand):

• Do any of the aspects you analyzed contribute to the overall theme of the books?
      • If they do, keep them. If they do not, discard them. An author may use a certain technique, but it is not always relevant for the themes/ideas you are dealing with.

• What themes have you discovered during your brainstorming that could be a topic of analysis and discussion?
  • Take a good look at your statement (which will be your title, unless you change it)
    • Is it clear?
    • Does it interest you?
    • Will you have to utilize your critical thinking skills to write about this topic?

If you answered "yes" to all of the above questions, then you have officially formulated your topic!

Step 5: Start writing your introduction, and formulate your thesis statement (keep in mind, your thesis statement may change depending on how your ideas change throughout the writing process). Break down your ideas into paragraphs, and you are good to go.

Refer to the following links for in-depth tips and help with the actual "writing process" of your essay:

http://www.ibsurviva...ing-a-wl-topic/

http://www.ibsurviva...aper-2-and-wl1/

http://www.ibsurviva...write-an-essay/

Choosing a Topic

• Now match them up:

• Literary devices
    • Narrative devices
    • Special techniques

• Is it clear?
    • Does it interest you?

If you answered "yes" to all of the above questions, then you have officially formulated your topic!

http://www.ibsurviva...ing-a-wl-topic/

http://www.ibsurviva...aper-2-and-wl1/

http://www.ibsurviva...write-an-essay/

Hey can you tell me what is 'motif' in literary criticism?

What is setting?

Hey can you tell me what is 'motif' in literary criticism? What is setting?

Motif: A recurrent image, word, phrase, represented object or action that tends to unify the literary work or that may be elaborated into a more general theme. Also, a situation, incident, idea, image, or character type that is found in many different literary works, folktales, or myths.

Setting

1. Types of setting:

· Neutral setting: the setting is not important, just a place where the action takes place.

· Spiritual setting: the values embodied in the physical setting; there is no easy relationship between physical setting and moral values.

· Dynamic setting: the setting may take on the role of a character.

2. Elements of a setting:

· Geography (topography, scenery, interiors, etc.)

· Occupation and lifestyle of characters

· Time

· Religious, intellectual, and moral environment

3. Functions of a setting:

· Setting as metaphor: the setting projects the internal state of the characters or a pervasive spiritual atmosphere.

· Atmosphere: a mood or emotional aura suggested by the setting and helping to establish the reader's expectations

4. Setting as the dominant element:

· Time, especially in historical novels

· Place: regionalist or local color novels (spiritual as well as geographical)

Edited by Arrowhead

• 3 years later...