Phone Interviews

Aboud

Hi, my phone interview with a university doctor is in two days and i am stressed about it, anyone has some general ideas on how control that stress (especially during the phone call that can determine my life.....) also, some tips on how to show the doctor how much i want to get accepted without doing crazy stuff... Thank you

I've had a phone interview with a uni (which I eventually declined the offer). Anyway just treat it as a normal interview. Phone interviews are both tough and not tough in that they can't see you. You can move around, jump up and down, wave your hand around to get rid of nervousness (which I did, I literally walked around the block during my interview) and they wouldn't know. However, since they can't see you they'll have to decide on what they hear and you'll have to convince them somehow, through now only what you say but how you say it. Don't be afraid to take time and think of the answer before answering. It's better to speak slowly than stutter because over the phone that really sounds bad. Might help if you think about the kinds of questions they might ask and be a little prepared for them.

I've had a phone interview with a uni (which I eventually declined the offer). Anyway just treat it as a normal interview. Phone interviews are both tough and not tough in that they can't see you. You can move around, jump up and down, wave your hand around to get rid of nervousness (which I did, I literally walked around the block during my interview) and they wouldn't know. However, since they can't see you they'll have to decide on what they hear and you'll have to convince them somehow, through now only what you say but how you say it. Don't be afraid to take time and think of the answer before answering. It's better to speak slowly than stutter because over the phone that really sounds bad. Might help if you think about the kinds of questions they might ask and be a little prepared for them.

thanks alot, i will be walking around... :D

• 3 years later...

I'm applying to lots of universities in US and UK, and if I get shortlisted, I'll most likely have phone interviews. I obviously can't travel to another country for them.

I'm REALLY nervous because the phone lines in India are pathetic, and I live in a place known for unpredictable power cuts, which are generally twice a day at various times, but very often last for several hours (which means that internet doesn't work during that time - and the UPS makes that annoying sound)... Personally I'd rather go for a face - to - face interview.

Is there any way I can stop stressing over this ( although I know that that wont worrying wont help, but still) ??

Edited by Srishti Mehrotra