#9 As an IB student, how has your learning of literature and science contributed to your understanding of individuals and societies?

Julia32

So I was wondering.. How far are you all going into the "As an IB student" part of the question?

I was thinking about comparing my experience as an 9th and 10th grader with my IB experience. (With reference to Science and Lit)

How far in-depth should I go into this?

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

It is exceptionally simple using literature such as the tempest and a few philosophers such as Thomas Kuhn (philosophy of science?! GOLD!).

I'm asking: Would it be useful to use a KI such as how do we know that literature and science can both be used to determine society and the individual in the first place? Or is that taking it too far?

I also read a book by Reuben Abel called "Man is the Measure" in which it is stated multiple times that the most obvious truth is that man is a product of culture. The problem that this arises is the fact that society then, if thought at logically, becomes a product of man and this together creates a circle. This circle then needs to be interpreted through either motivation or HOW we understand this circle of happenings, in this case related somehow to Literature and science. I suggest BIO (humans and animals etc. how society in its primary form often mimics nature) and mr. Shakespeare, but at the same time i'm completely thrown off by this little circle of things...

By the way, that Reuben Abel thing is awesome for ToK as it teaches exactly what knowing is on a relatively high level

Edited by Mattias232

• 4 weeks later...

Human sciences has to be sciences too. In psychology we learn about individuals and societies so it hope it is not to difficult to use that subject for the science-part. In literature we have read books that are written almost a billion years ago (for instance Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Henrik Ibsen's Peer Gynt) and then we get to know the societies at that time. We have also read books where we really get to know the main character and his mind (again Peer Gynt). I will try to link psychology and literature together since we can for instance see signs of bad attachment in the main character of Peer Gynt.

Anyhow, I find TOK extremely hard and I have some questions:

Is psychology a AOK or WOK? Is it a sub-genre of human sciences?

Is there ways of knowing in psychology? Language? The information is gained through reading about theories and reports from experiments etc. Perception? Psychologists observe and interpret the behaviour.

Any other?

What about literature? The same WOKs? Since we also read and perceive? Is literature a sub-genre of art?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

http://findhorn.blogspot.com/2010/10/responses-009-2011-2012.html

http://www.tokessaycomments.com/topic/exam-questions/tackling-nov-2011-may-2012-tok-questions.html/comment-page-3#comments

these two links have very helpful to me, u should definitely check them out

-> "it should be interpreted as something like, "In your experience as an IB student, how has your learning in Groups 1 and 4 contributed to your understanding of Group 3 subjects?" "

I'm basing mine around 4 knowledge issues, one knowledge issue about lit and society, one for lit and individuals, one for science and society and one for science and individuals (not going to state them as that's going a bit far...) And for each of these knowledge issues giving one or two examples of things we've studied as part of the curriculum, or stuff from my EE or group 4 project (although one of them is from something i've read outside of the IB, of course they expect you to be an "independent learner") I think the key to this title is probably relating your experiences from throughout the IB in relation to these things, but in a more TOK way!!

Ok so now I've had my first draft read by the supervisor and h'es constantly written in the comments...saying "How does this example take your discussion further?"WHAT DOES HE MEAN BY that? How can I proceed with the analysis question? After all, I'm using examples to ANSWER the question....How can I make the essay "flow"?

My apologies for ranting, but I'm kinda lost.

And does anyone know what KIND of arguments we need to make for this topic?

Ok so now I've had my first draft read by the supervisor and h'es constantly written in the comments...saying "How does this example take your discussion further?"WHAT DOES HE MEAN BY that? How can I proceed with the analysis question? After all, I'm using examples to ANSWER the question....How can I make the essay "flow"?

My apologies for ranting, but I'm kinda lost.

And does anyone know what KIND of arguments we need to make for this topic?

I think he wants you to connect it personally to the Knowledge Issue at hand and discuss its (further) relvance.