Court Room Procedures

Shorty

Hi,

I have a court scene skit in french next wednesday and I'm suppose to be the judge. My main concern is the objection part.

Under what circumstances do I over rule the objection and also what circumstances do I sustain the objection?

Thanks.

PS. Yes, I did watch endless Judge Judy films off Youtube and in 90% of them she calls the defendant idiot and stupid so I'm not going to use it for this.. :P

Haha, finally my Mock Trial days are paying off.

Do you have a list of potential objections? If you do, then you should no what to look for, and just listen to see if they are relevant or not. A lot of the time, objections are made in regards to hearsay, and leading questions. If during a testimony, somebody refers to evidence that they have no direct knowledge of, but they have "heard", an opposing can, and should object. i.e. "Well, I heard that he was going to that party, and he's supposedly bad news..." During the direct questioning period, leading questions are not allowed, and if a lawyer asks their client a question with the response within it , an objection should be made. i.e. "So, was it very rainy that night?"... not permitted. "What was the weather like that night?" would be allowed. Basically any yes or no questions are very bad. They're allowed during cross ex. though! In that case, if an objection is made, you just ask the lawyer to rephrase their question. Those are just two examples.

Basically, all you can do is listen carefully to everything that is being said, and try to catch things like that before an objection is made. A lot of the time people go crazy with it, so if you don't think a rule has been blatantly violated, and objecting is just taking away from the case, overrule it. I'm not sure if that helped or not, but just be judicious, and have fun!!!

Edited by spaceisland

Hahaha, gahhhhhhhh Mock Trial is horribly fun. I love cross ex... Our best case ever, was a historical trial, and the accused was Leopold II, whom we were defending... The crown's main witness was Tippu Tib, and we gauged the kid who was playing him as entirely incompetent - so - we based our whole case on the fact that he wouldn't know that his real name was "Muhammed Bin Hamid". Our first cross ex. lawyer stood up, asked him to state his full name for the record, and we had him declared as a mentally incompetent witness when he couldn't state his own name.

Success!

Hey, how come you guys are doing mock trials in french? Is it one of your official IB internal assessments?

We just have the 15 minute one-on-one discussion with our teacher and a 15 minute discussion in groups about a film that we're gonna watch next month.

I think we're going to be doing the 15 minute discussion for the end of french 12 IB. I'm still doing French 11 IB. :P