Writing an A1 Language Extended Essay

Daedalus

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a heads-up for people considering doing their EEs in Language A1: it is possible to do it on other topics than Literature! There are three categories of Language A1 Extended Essays:

• Category 1 & 2: Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language in which the essay is presented => analysing literature, poetry, plays etc.
  • Category 3: Studies in language => textual analysis of almost anything; has to consider contextual factors, language, culture etc, critical thinking of how the texts are influencing the audience and what the purpose is

I did my Extended Essay in Category 3 and I loved it! I analysed a set of memes and their implications - really interesting and rewarding topic!

Just a heads-up for people considering doing their EEs in Language A1: it is possible to do it on other topics than Literature! There are three categories of Language A1 Extended Essays:

• Category 1 & 2: Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language in which the essay is presented => analysing literature, poetry, plays etc.
  • Category 3: Studies in language => textual analysis of almost anything; has to consider contextual factors, language, culture etc, critical thinking of how the texts are influencing the audience and what the purpose is

I did my Extended Essay in Category 3 and I loved it! I analysed a set of memes and their implications - really interesting and rewarding topic!

Does this apply only to people who are taking the Literature & Language option? I can't imagine that sort of non-analytical stuff being an acceptable subject for a pure Literature essay. Just to clear it up for anybody considering it!

Does this apply only to people who are taking the Literature & Language option? I can't imagine that sort of non-analytical stuff being an acceptable subject for a pure Literature essay. Just to clear it up for anybody considering it!

No, this applies to every IB student. And it is not non-analytical at all, it is just at the height of literature essays and can be just as hard to do. And no, it is no a Literature EE as the conventional ones but rather analysation of for examples images, speeches and other literary things I guess. @Sandwich: if you take a look at the most recent EE guide you'll find the information about this type of A1 Literature essay.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

What I did was take a commonly used book and 'pin' it against one of my favourites because in a sense it is so different but similar at the same time.

I took Oliver Twist and Charles Dickens use of a child's perspective and pinned it against Kit's Wilderness by David Almond

both are amazing books and you can also use the EE to show an interest if you already know what you want to apply for in University, so for myself, i focused a lot on Psychology which is half of what i want to study...

hope this helps

Alix x

• 1 month later...

Can you write your extended essay on a novel that you used for the Internal Oral Presentantion???

No, the IB does not allow you to use the same literary works for different assessments in the IB Diploma.

Edited by dniviE

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question regarding EEs in Group1 in a language other than English. My supervisor doesn't seem to ever have seen an Extended Essay before...

1) The cover sheet. Are we supposed to "translate" all the stuff we need to have on it into this language, e.g. use the French word for "word count", "suervisor", subject, examination date and so on? Or should be stick to the English? Did anyone deal with this problem before?

2) Can I use a book that is part of the books we're studying in class? It's one of the books that will be subject of the oral exam. My supervisor didn't even mention it could be a problem but the more I read in this forum the less sure I am I'm doing it right.

Thanks for your help :)

I have a question regarding EEs in Group1 in a language other than English. My supervisor doesn't seem to ever have seen an Extended Essay before...

1) The cover sheet. Are we supposed to "translate" all the stuff we need to have on it into this language, e.g. use the French word for "word count", "suervisor", subject, examination date and so on? Or should be stick to the English? Did anyone deal with this problem before?

2) Can I use a book that is part of the books we're studying in class? It's one of the books that will be subject of the oral exam. My supervisor didn't even mention it could be a problem but the more I read in this forum the less sure I am I'm doing it right.

Thanks for your help :)

1. If you are doing a Group 1 EE in a language other than English, the entire thing needs to be in that language. So yes, even the cover page needs to have that kind of stuff in the language you're doing your EE in. Why would you turn in an English cover page for an EE written completely in say Swedish for example lol. If you read a few sample EEs out there, you'll see that the cover pages aren't in English.

2. Your EE cannot be on a book that you're studying for class. So if you've done your IOP, IOC, world literature paper, etc on it, then you cannot use it for an EE. But there are so many other books and other literature out there that this shouldn't be a problem.

Hello all,

I need an advice on the RQ of my EE in English category 1.

I decided to focus on the two novels: 'Gone with the wind' by Mitchell and 'The Great Gatsby' by Fitzgerald.

Question: Would it be better to focus on:

-The role settings play in both novels;

-Comparison and contrast of the characters of Rhett Butler and J. Gatsby, and to what extent they reflect social trends of their time

-the conflict of moral and cultural values in America, as portrayed in both novels.

Thanks in advance.

"Better to focus on..." depends on how much you already have to say on any of these. The first two topics look fine (they are focused). Beware of the last one, though: it invites sweeping generalizations and a sociological focus. If you do opt for the last, keep a tight rein on yourself and be sure to incorporate literary analysis. You have, after all, chosen Literature as your option; investigating HOW ideas are conveyed is therefore a necessary approach. Literary works must never be treated as unmediated conduits into another time and place. This applies, in fact, to all written accounts.

Turn these into well-phrased research questions, and you are well on your way! Good luck!

Edited by Blackcurrant

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The guide that you described above is really seems to be good and informative for the students for getting the ideas about to write an extended essay. I think it will more helpful for the students those are struggling with the essay writing assignments. Thank you so much friend...

Edited by JoanneGross

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, a quick question there, Im writing on the absurd in Heller's and Vonnegut's novels, could anyone please help me rephrase my research question? I think it sounds kind of..uhm Im dont know, wrong.

Comparison of the methods of conveyance of absurd in Joseph Heller's Catch-22 and Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.

Any idea on how to make it sound better?

Hey, a quick question there, Im writing on the absurd in Heller's and Vonnegut's novels, could anyone please help me rephrase my research question? I think it sounds kind of..uhm Im dont know, wrong.

Comparison of the methods of conveyance of absurd in Joseph Heller's Catch-22 and Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.

Any idea on how to make it sound better?

To what extent do Heller and Vonnegut use similar methods to convey the idea of the absurd in Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse-Five respectively?

• 2 weeks later...