The Catcher In The Rye

saleen

So, I am a newbie. But I did search the whole site for ''the catcher in the rye'' and I couldn't find anything! I have my IOP in a couple of days, and my topic is ''the theme of alienation in the catcher in the rye'' but I've soon to notice that it is such a large theme, that I don't even know where to start. I usually dont have any troubles writing speeches at all, and I enjoy doing them.. but it's been taking me forever to write this IOP, and it's driving me crazy... :o:drake::P so i'm wondering if there's anyone else who has done this? Or perhaps read the book and has some opinions of my topic? I was hoping to get a general discussion around the theme of ''the catcher in the rye'' since atleast I think it's a great book!

cheers

:D:D

That book is great! I wrote my EE on it and another book. Anyway, your question.

It's been a while since I did my IOP, but if the theme is large, you might want to consider making it smaller, maybe by focusing on how the alienation affects Holden or something.

Other than that, my opinions on your topic...

I think it seems a lot like Holden alienates himself because he thinks it will protect him, or perhaps that he might not grow up if he doesn't associate with the adult world. Also, I find it interesting to look at the relationships Holden has with other people, since there are so few of them. For instance, his relationship with Stradler (who I think he calls his friend, I can't remember; It's also been a while since I've read the book). I don't think that is the kind of relationship I have with my friends. Also, the teacher he visits (I forgot his name) that reads the quote to him and lets him stay at his house. I found that relationship very... odd. Also, looking at how the alienation affects his life might bring some interesting results.

I wish I could help more. Good luck with your IOP!