History SL/HL Help

Julie

Hey :) can anybody help me and say what should be included in a history essay which should get a 7 ??? I'm a little bit lost since i got my first essay back and it was only a 3 :( my teacher just said it was not that much analysis in it.

thanks xx marie

When you introduce some fact or something, make sure you show WHY it answers your question. For an example, read what I posted this morning (I've got a university level physics exam tomorrow and have lost all motivation to retype things or do anything :P). Also, in order to score the highest marks, you need to introduce historiography into your essay. For each topic, learn a few historians and what they have to say about that topic. When analyzing something, you can then add in the historiography and show how the historian supports or refutes the claim you are making. You don't need to make this a huge part of your essay, but it needs to be there in order to score extremely high. If you don't include historiography, everything must be written to an EXTREMELY high level. So it's easier to just put in historiography. :P

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow IBers.

I am currently in deep trouble in history class. If anyone has notes that they would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. We have studied WWI, the Peace settlements, and the Dictators so far. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

-Esteban,

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I have plenty of questions.

For the second semester, we had only paper 2 for our monthly and mid-term exams and I received 4 on both of the tests.

Each time our teacher would find us and tell us how we can improve, and he would say "If you had made clearer argument you would be able to have a 6" or "If you had used more details you may have achieved a 7". Each time I have fit the requirements he had mentioned before, and I improved. However, my score remained 4 and I am wondering whether he was playing on me.

I also want to state that I am the the only case. Every student who chose History SL in our school all gained 4 in their mid-term. We are the first groups of students who chose History in our school, and our teacher is teaching History for the first time. Thus we have no idea what we are going through.

Thank you for your help. : )

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I have plenty of questions.

For the second semester, we had only paper 2 for our monthly and mid-term exams and I received 4 on both of the tests.

Each time our teacher would find us and tell us how we can improve, and he would say "If you had made clearer argument you would be able to have a 6" or "If you had used more details you may have achieved a 7". Each time I have fit the requirements he had mentioned before, and I improved. However, my score remained 4 and I am wondering whether he was playing on me.

I also want to state that I am the the only case. Every student who chose History SL in our school all gained 4 in their mid-term. We are the first groups of students who chose History in our school, and our teacher is teaching History for the first time. Thus we have no idea what we are going through.

Thank you for your help. : )

Post a copy of your essay?

Post a copy of your essay?

It is very embarrassing... How can I post pictures up here?

Not really sure how to upload directly to the site but if you upload to a free photo sharing site, eg. gyazo, then you can paste the URL here, by clicking the image button next to the < >, at the top of the comment box.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

i've uploaded my notes and summaries for History and Economics for IB and A-Level examinations here:

aibnotes.blogspot.com

Among other topics, you'll find:

• The Arab-Israeli Conflict
  • The origins of the Cold War
  • Revolution in Cuba
  • Dètente between East and West (1962-1975)
  • The “Second Cold War†Renewed Tension Between East and West, 1975-1984
  • Vietnam - USA Containment in the Southeast Pacific
  • Fall of USSR (Part 1) - Gorbachev and the end of communist rule
  • Fall of USSR (Part 2) - The collapse of the USSR and the end of communist rule
  • The Sino-Soviet Split: origins and main features.
  • China - Reforms and Modernization After Mao
  • ECONOMICS: Government macroeconomic policy objectives and indicators of national economic performance

Hope you find them useful

• Like 1

Hi,

i've uploaded my notes and summaries for History and Economics for IB and A-Level examinations here:

• Revolution in Cuba
  • Fall of USSR (Part 2) - The collapse of the USSR and the end of communist rule
  • ECONOMICS: Government macroeconomic policy objectives and indicators of national economic performance

Hi,

• Revolution in Cuba

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey! Do you have any tips on writing a killer paper 3? I assume any tips will apply to basically all courses, but if not I take IB History of the Americas HL Year One and we're up to Imperialism in the early twentieth century. Midterms are in a few days so I would really appreciate any advice or helpful content. For the midterm we only need to write on prompt if that helps too

Edited by acorda14

Hey! Do you have any tips on writing a killer paper 3? I assume any tips will apply to basically all courses, but if not I take IB History of the Americas HL Year One and we're up to Imperialism in the early twentieth century. Midterms are in a few days so I would really appreciate any advice or helpful content. For the midterm we only need to write on prompt if that helps too

This thread: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/15069-tips-on-doing-well-in-slhl-history/ has some very good advice on how to approach history essays.

• 1 month later...

For the last semester I have been constantly getting 5's in my essays, at the moment its my worst grade and really pulling me down. I do try to work on my mistakes but then I tend to make new ones on the next test :blink:  but I think the problem I have most at the moment is to constantly back everything up with evidence. Its been quite demoralising as no matter what I do the grades stays the same, does anyone have tips on how to practice for Essays? Especially how to get into the habit of consistently adding in facts and thinking in a more thematic way? 

Advise will be a life saver  :blush:

well, what i do is show model essays to my teacher. so i get feedback. About adding info, what I do is this:

Thesis. Figure out what supports. Add historiography (if needed). think and refute a counterclaim. Repeat.

thats kinda rough, but that's the general flow.

but best thing would be to show models, and then ask questions. Hence, you understand EXACTLY what is missing.

Do I make sense? Hope so

Hope I helped

King112

PS: If 5 is your worst grade, your a way better student then me, keep it up :) 

• Like 1

Thank

well, what i do is show model essays to my teacher. so i get feedback. About adding info, what I do is this:

Thesis. Figure out what supports. Add historiography (if needed). think and refute a counterclaim. Repeat.

thats kinda rough, but that's the general flow.

but best thing would be to show models, and then ask questions. Hence, you understand EXACTLY what is missing.

Do I make sense? Hope so

Hope I helped

King112

PS: If 5 is your worst grade, your a way better student then me, keep it up :)

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll show a model essay to my teacher the next time I see him.  :)

PS: Sometimes on a bad day my other grades are also a 5  :P , thanks I'll try my best. 

• 4 months later...

I've been racing a lot of history books and there are some key words I'm confused about, which include:

- benefit of hindsight: can anyone give me an example of what could be the 'benefits' and how this hindsight may impact our interpretation of history/historiography? I'm uncertain whether I'm understanding the term correctly.

- revolution from below vs. revolution from above: how do I synthesize this viewpoints in my essay, for example the October Revolution?

Thank you!

I've been racing a lot of history books and there are some key words I'm confused about, which include:

- benefit of hindsight: can anyone give me an example of what could be the 'benefits' and how this hindsight may impact our interpretation of history/historiography? I'm uncertain whether I'm understanding the term correctly.

- revolution from below vs. revolution from above: how do I synthesize this viewpoints in my essay, for example the October Revolution?

Thank you!

• The benefit of hindsight is that we know how everything played out. So for instance, in hindsight we know that the US invading Iraq caused a very long drawn out war. This might make us more inclined now to say it was a stupid decision, but it's important to keep in mind that we know information the US didn't know at the time. It's basically the idea that hindsight is 50/50 and that you have to keep in mind that you know more than the people you're analysing did.

• Basically just ask yourself: was the October Revolution started by people at the bottom of the Russian hierarchy or was it started by someone near the top? That'll help you talk about revolutions from the bottom and revolutions from the top.

• 3 months later...