Forming your General Statement

IBSlayer

So, for the Math IA portfolio's, you need to form a general statement - and the problem I have is as thus:

If you're just looking at the assignment and can immediately see a pattern forming, and it seems to be correct - how do you explain that? i.e. do you say "from observations, we can see that ...." or should you just completely avoid that and try and find a proper way to prove it?

Thanks in advance

hmm which portfolio task are you talking about? I'll try to explain in terms of the task that you are doing if you want.

Actually, if you are just observing the problem in the task, you cannot come up with a general statement without performing any calculation. A general statement is not just a decription nor it is just an explanation of the problem or of a pattern in the problem. A general statement is a formula that represents something related to the problem (depends on what is asked in the task).

However if you have noticed some patterns in the problem in the beginning, you can discuss it in your introduction. Later on if you find it to be correct, you can dircuss it again as it is proven :)

Which task are you doing and what pattern are you talking about? :)

I'm assuming you're doing the Type I portfolio. In the criteria sheet you'll see that you get points for "investigating" which means that even if you see a pattern by just looking at the problem, you are still suppose to "investigate" and then end up with a "general statement". This essentially means that you need to analyze the problem and list examples to show that a pattern is really emerging. Only then can you come up with a "conjecture" which you then prove.

• 4 months later...

For other people coming in, you might want to switch up your wording just a little bit. Yes what he said^ definitely! Give examples and sample calculations that will help support your general statement. Then you can say something along the lines of, From DOING this, that and the other, we can see that/the pattern appears to be...

It sounds better than "by observations" because that kinda makes people think that you did not do much but do minimal work and just "look". :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Is the "general statement" a formula based on you analytically investigating something? For example, if you see a pattern and you end up with "y = 2x+8", is that the general statement? or is the general statement more of you writing out that you see a pattern such as "the value initially starts at 8 and doubles after every unit of y"?

Is the "general statement" a formula based on you analytically investigating something? For example, if you see a pattern and you end up with "y = 2x+8", is that the general statement? or is the general statement more of you writing out that you see a pattern such as "the value initially starts at 8 and doubles after every unit of y"?

yes it is merely a formula.