• Oxford
    • Harvard
    • APA
    • MLA
    • ASA
    • Chicago
    • Other

So I'm guessing there is no specific format needed? :eek:

No specific format, such as MLA, footnotes, APA, Chicago style, etc is required. You're free to do the one most comfortable to you. Just pick one way to reference, follow all its rules, and stick with that for your paper.

• Like 1

So I'm guessing there is no specific format needed? :eek:

No specific format, such as MLA, footnotes, APA, Chicago style, etc is required. You're free tTho do the one most comfortable to you. Just pick one way to reference, follow all its rules, and stick with that for your paper.

Thank you. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I hope that it wasn't mentioned before but I can't find it...

What is the difference between citation and quotation? EE Guide says that the first is not included into word count but the second is..

A citation is where you are giving credit to the original source of the information/phrase/word/picture/etc you are using in your paper.

A quotation is where you're using the exact words/phrasing that someone used. These can be phrased in many ways, and they usually require a citation too. Two ways you can do a quotation are:

1. Person Surname views the IB Diploma program as "a lot of unnecessary work." (IB Diploma Quotes, 45) (where IB Diploma quotes is the book you're quoting from, and 45 is the page number it was on)

2. Person Surname, in his book IB Diploma Quotes, describes the IB program as "a lot of unnecessary work." (45)

The reason a citation isn't included in the word count is because these just give credit to the original source. A quotation is included because it's additional words that make up your argument, and thus must be included.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sort of an urgent question, this, as I waited too long to format the footnotes on my EE.

I use mostly web articles as my sources; do I need to write both the date on which the article was published and the date on which I saw the article? Can I just write the publish date, as that would be much simpler and I'm sure not to make mistakes?

Right now, footnotes in my EE look like this:

”HMV rescued by Hilco in deal that protects 2,500 jobs”, Graham Ruddick, The Telegraph, 5 April 2013. <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9973602/HMV-rescued-by-Hilco-in-deal-that-protects-2500-jobs.html>

Is that the right way? Thanks very much.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Is it alright to use a website or app to write up your sources automatically?

There is nothing wrong with using a website - except they are known to make mistakes.If you use a website you should proof-read your citations to make sure the website did it. You are probably better off writing them by hand, it's not super hard to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a question. I just cite something from a non-English article in a maths EE. Do I need to translate the title of the article in citation?

I can't speak for all of the styles of citations but in Chicago you leave the article in the source language. 

Thanks. So how does this style work?

I will link a pdf on how it works with some basic examples and a brief explanation of how to do it correctly. (PDF

If you want/need more specific help with Chicago style, feel free to ask.

• 8 months later...

Hi! 

I'm doing my extended essay right now in lang and lit and was wondering which type of footnotes/references corresponds to each citation style? I want to know which one corresponds to the footnotes (where you put a number, and then at the bottom of the page you can complete the references), not the bracket citations. 

Thanks! :)

On 4/1/2016 at 10:22 AM, alisunnyd said:

Hi! 

I'm doing my extended essay right now in lang and lit and was wondering which type of footnotes/references corresponds to each citation style? I want to know which one corresponds to the footnotes (where you put a number, and then at the bottom of the page you can complete the references), not the bracket citations. 

Thanks! :)

Chicago is one of the more common footnote options. (There are others, but no one really uses them, i.e. ACS.) 

MLA is one of the more common in text, bracket citations. Chicago has that option as well.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Yakko Silveira said:

How big of a deal is it if I have all the footnotes correctly used in MLA format, but have no page numbers included for the books? My teacher says it might be quite bad, but how relevant is that towards my assessment?

for footnotes you need page numbers. It's part of the citation so without them you are not citing them correctly. At the most, you would probably lose the points for correct citations, which are basically free points.

• 3 months later...