chicheto93

Ok so I received the portfolio gold medal heights it's due to 10 days from today. It is actually all the heights(cm) achieved by the gold medalists of high jump from 1932 to 1980. I have to define all variables and sketch them on a graph. Now here comes the hard part - 1940 and 1944 no olympic games were held.

1)Should I include those 2 on the graph or no?

2) They ask me to define all variables but I have no clue about what variables they are speaking about?

3) The function(using a trend line) of the graph seems a bit hard to choose. Should I be leaded by the value of R squared( correletion coefficient)? I mean the closer the function is to one - pick that function! I also have to select another function and plot both functions on the same graph and explain both limitations of the functions.

4)They ask me about the estimated values of the jumps in 1940 and 1944. But this would come when I find what the right function is.

Thanks in advance let me know if you need any additional information.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry guys I know this is very late but...

@chicheto93

1. No, you are not really required to.

2. Let y be year, let h be height in cm.

3. It's up to you, really!

4. Yeah after you plot your model function, find the height when y=1940 and when y=1944.

what's the rest asking?

I really hate the new tasks! the type II IAs are really complicated. the pattern in the data is not clear or not periodic. :angry:

if I had to do this task, I'd model a combination of two functions (for the first part where I had to analytically model my own function): maybe some quadratic function in the beginning followed by a tangent function. I don't know, really. it's hard to predict the 2nd and 3rd data points.

and for the one using technology, I'd go for some cubic or quartic function.

good luck to all of you!

i dont get why i should use a cubic or quatratic function because on my calculator Lin Reg looks like it would fit the best on the graph but my teacher also told some other students they should look for a parabola

but if i use the quadratic function the quadratic function is far away from the points on my calculator and so i would have to translate the function

so i dont understand why i should do all this if the Lin Reg fits better ??

well if linear looks best on your calculator then go for it :blink:

I think it depends on what software you use to generate the regressions. mine gives quartic as the best regression. but if you get a linear one then okay.....

there is no best function IMO. in my opinion that is. if there must be a best function it'd be tangent but the first two data points do not fit...

well if linear looks best on your calculator then go for it :blink:

I think it depends on what software you use to generate the regressions. mine gives quartic as the best regression. but if you get a linear one then okay.....

there is no best function IMO. in my opinion that is. if there must be a best function it'd be tangent but the first two data points do not fit...

can you help me please with these question i am soo confused

Edited by Austin Glau
no text speak

well if I can be honest I'll say I'm confused too.

read post #7, it's probably the best advice I could give for this task, unless you have other questions.

Do you know how I find out if it's an exponential or a quadratic function?

i think if u keep in calculator may find it

• 3 months later...

Bumputi bump - this very task is driving me insane. Anyone care to help?

First of all, how am I expected to define any parameters at the stage where I have just only plotted the data on a graph? I mean, they cannot be defined without an equation, right? Is this the answer they are looking for when they ask me to "discuss the possible constraints of the task"?

Wouldn't a linear regression kind of a function be the best choice to model the behavior of the graph? When they ask me to "analytically create an equation" for that, does this mean I have to somehow do it by hand, and not by pasting it from OpenOffice? I've never even studied linear regression :(

Well, 8 days left.

I don't think I'll be much of help either actually.

I think parameters mean the limitations of your variables. like time cannot be negative, number of people cannot be decimal, stuff like that.

analytically means mathematically, algebraically. so you need to show mathematical working to get the function. not just plotting the data in a graphing software and ta-da you get the function. no.

haha, seriously? linear regression is y=mx+c

I don't think I'll be much of help either actually.

I think parameters mean the limitations of your variables. like time cannot be negative, number of people cannot be decimal, stuff like that.

Sounds reasonable.

analytically means mathematically, algebraically. so you need to show mathematical working to get the function. not just plotting the data in a graphing software and ta-da you get the function. no.

Ok. I feared this would be the answer.

haha, seriously? linear regression is y=mx+c

lol, is that so? We've just never used the term linear regression for this. Well, it's the only equation I can create without the aid of technology anyway, so I'll stick with it.

Thanks for the answer.

trust me hey... I'm experienced with helping with IAs.

I bet you're familiar with quadratic function too. it's y=ax^2+bx+c

other types of function you can possibly model:

- Cubic y=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d

- Quartic y=ax^4+bx^3+cx^2+dx+e

- Polynomial to nth degree y=ax^n+bx^(n-1)+cx^(n-2)+...

- Power

- Exponential

- Logarithmic

- Sin

- Cos

- Tan

- Logistic

I think there can be more, but those are the more famous ones.

I'm sure you're familiar with almost all of those! you can pick from that list when modelling a function analytically.

hmmh... my investigation is due for tomorrow and Im having huge problems with finding another function... I have no idea how to use my calculator properly (ive never been taught to use it... blame my teacher...) and I have no idea how can use technology to find a function that models the given data.... HELP!!! :'(