SL to Studies

chanendelerbong

Hi!

I'm in my 2nd year of IB and I'm thinking about the possibility of dropping from Maths SL to Studies.

I feel that I'm struggling with SL especially with calculus and circular trig but I kinda don't want to drop to Studies as I don't really know what I want to do in Uni and not limit myself.

So I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this and could help me out?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Although people drop from HL to SL all the time, it's much weirder to drop from SL to Studies.

It's because the Studies syllabus is completely different from the SL material. While HL contains SL, there is no Studies material in SL. However, seeing as you've made it into the second year, I think you would have to cram a lot between now and your exam if you chose to drop to Studies. It's not that it's hard per se (it's Math Studies! The easiest Math course) but it's actually a lot to cram.

But, in my opinion, you should stick to Math SL. If you haven't had any previous troubles than what you are facing now, then just get some extra tutoring and even ask the teacher for help. If anything, switching to Studies will look bad on your college applications and all that jazz.

• Like 1

Hi!

I'm in my 2nd year of IB and I'm thinking about the possibility of dropping from Maths SL to Studies.

I feel that I'm struggling with SL especially with calculus and circular trig but I kinda don't want to drop to Studies as I don't really know what I want to do in Uni and not limit myself.

So I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this and could help me out?

Thanks.

Hi,

Since it's your second year doing the IB (i presume your exams are in Nov 2011?) you should really be thinking about what you want to apply for at uni, that, in my opinion, is the real key to the problem because once that is settled you can make decisive choices. As the person above stated there is the syllabus difference to look out for. Why don't you go through the Maths Studies text book and curriculum to see whether you will be able to cope with the change. More importantly though, there's the problem with the IA, if you have already done the IA for Maths Standards, it is likely that the Maths Studies class has also so on top of catching up you will have to do extra coursework. It really depends on your ability to change and more importantly what you want to apply for at uni. If your getting a 4 now in Maths Standard I think it is likely that you will be able to raise this to at least a 6 in Maths Studies provided that you are able to catch up and that you didn't rush your coursework. So, decided what you want to do at uni first, see whether you want to or are capable of changing, then make the decision and stick with it. Time is of the essence, make a decision quick.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I study maths SL, but I'm on the verge of changing to math studies since it hasn't been going that well..

So I'm wondering if I can drop to studies, and could still go off and study business (e.g. BBus etc.) in like the UK, Australia or other English speaking country (probably not the US)?

Heyy!

I was faced with the same situation when I started off with IB. I was initially Math SL and wasn't very confidant about it (I used to get decent grades 4-5. However, it was a lot of stress since I don't 'love' math. I swtiched to Math Studies in my second semester and I must say, I'm really happy with it! :)

Its easy and gives me plenty of time to concentrate on my other subjects. My subject choice didn't hinder me from getting accepted in a good university for business in the US. I just finalized my university a few months ago.

It all depends on choice though. If you are looking at the Ivys, then math studies is probably not a good choice though I know a friend who did get accepted into an Ivy with math studies. However, if your considering business in the UK, Math studies is the worst option for you. 90% of the good UK universities DON'T give credit for math studies in a business program. You NEED to have atleast a math SL or higher to be eligible to apply for business. Australia, I have no idea, you'll have a ask a counselor.

Since I was always looking towards studying in the US, UK never posed a problem for me.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions!

P.S It is a very stressful decision and I can totally understand you!

Guest Red XII

Business programs are math-intensive and will be looking for courses that are more advanced than Math Studies. Ideally, they want to see students in Math HL. It would probably hurt your chances of admission, but wouldn't completely derail them. You'd probably have to work hard to catch up on your math quickly once you get to university.

• 1 month later...

Heeeey! Well i was in the same situation as you, except that i pretty much took all the Maths levels my school offered.

I started the year with Maths HL, dropped to SL after half a semester and now am in Maths Studies. No, i didn't drop because Maths was hard, Maths has always been my strength. I decided to go down to studies because i came to realise how Universities work with the IB.

It doesn't matter what subjects you do, whether art or sciences, Maths HL/SL or studies, all that matters at the end of the day is your overall IB grade (which is out of 45).

Once an IB student gets a score in the high 30s - 45, universities will literally try to 'grab' you, no matter what your subjects are.

There was this student in another school that got an IB score 42. Everyone talks about her final result - no one ever bothered asking what subjects she did. But i asked, only to find out Drama, Art and Math Studies were among the subjects she took. And guess what? She's in Oxford now on a scholarship - studying medicine. She didn't do any sciences, but she did a bridging course.

Moral of the story, it is best to do Maths Studies. Because in the end, i'm the one who will be laughing at the Maths SL + HL people that struggle to get a 5/6/7, while i just breeze through the diploma with a 7 for maths.

:)

what about the prerequisites? I still don't think it's worth it (taking the easier subjects). if you will still have to take a bridging course or a foundation course, then why are you taking the IB? why do you have to take both? there's no need to take IB, doing easy subjects that are not worth it, if you still have to do some foundation course just to go to the uni you want to go to. the money, time and effort wasted is not worth it. it's not just about getting into the university that you like, it's about your own experience and pride. if you are capable of doing the more difficult course, why would you take the easier one?

• 1 month later...

I am in my second year of IB and want to switch to maths studies from maths SL. I'm taking history, Chinese, english HL and bio, psych, maths SL right now. As you can tell, I'm interested in social sciences and at university I want to study History. I'll be applying to both UK, USA, and Canadian universities. By taking maths studies, I could raise my overall grade to potentially a 43 and would have more time dedicated to classes that I want to study at uni. Firstly, I want to know if this is logistically possible? I've heard it is from IB examiners but just checking has anyone on here done it before? Also, would it harm me to take studies in terms of uni acceptances, considering I want to study history?

Thanks.

Firstly, I want to know if this is logistically possible?

what do you mean? you mean switching subjects? actually it's still possible as long as you are not officially registered to the IB yet. however every school might have different policies on this, so it would be best if you ask your teacher.

actually yes many people on this site have switched from SL to studies, knowing the risks, and you shouldn't be afraid if you're sure you can't survive in SL.

what kind of uni are you applying for? Oxbridge? Ivy League? have you checked on their requirements?

:FYI: Uni of Toronto does not accept Math Studies students, so if you want to apply there you should stay in SL. I'm not sure about the other unis though. should check on it first.

I cant remember if I did register or not. I remember signing an IB sheet where I had to list my subjects, DOB and personal stuff, so that sounds like it. Have I already registered !!? :S

If I make a good case to my teacher, do you think I could get it revoked...? Im not applying IVY or Oxbridge. None of my unis have it as a requirement. I would ask my teachers, but it's summer holiday now.