Global Warming

Shorty

All I have to say is that before you make an opinion about global warming, you need to get proof that it is or is not happening. Don't just assume that Al Gore is telling the truth and that he has no hidden agenda, and don't just turn a blind eye to the world around you. Based on what I have observed, I have come to the conclusion that there is minor climate change. However, I have not yet seen proof that this climate change is going to be catastrophic. Several things to keep in mind are that the people who are researching climate are not above bribery, by both the oil companies and the environmental groups, and that these organizations are not above bribing scientists to prove a point. Another thing to remember is that modern science is NOT perfect. Anyone who has taken a science class knows how easy it is to make mistakes. This may explain why thirty years ago scientists were predicting an ice age. Also, if you have taken IB Math Studies, or any math class that studies statistics, you should be aware that it is very difficult to predict data outside the known range of data. This means that we can predict the temperature on a given day ten years ago with relative accuracy, but we cannot accurately predict the temperature ten years from now. It is my opinion that global warming is happening, but that it is nowhere near as catastrophic as we are led to believe. Also, I believe that there may be benefits from global warming, such as increased crop production is colder areas. I do support all efforts to clean up the earth, because whether is causes global warming or not, smog sucks, and gas prices these days are going to force us to develop more efficient cars and new sources of energy. The final thing to remember is that this is my opinion, not fact. You all need to develop your own positions based on the observations you've made.

Guest dragonb111
owl_orly.png

Look, I don't know what bs your science teacher has been feeding you (let's not even start discussing evolution), but like it or not, global warming _is_ reality, be it caused by man or nature. And whilst it might not end the world, it damn well might cause a new ice age for all we know. Unfortunately we haven't been able to build a reliable model to predict what'll happen, but it isn't looking too good right now.

Yes really. Global warming is melting. Not freezing. That means no new ice age. Even if it does mean freezing in some/most areas, it's not gonna end the world as we know it. It will never do it, but it might lead to it. Although I'm not quite sure how global warming is gonna create an earthquake...(according to revelation). Global warming itself is not gonna kill us all.

O! by the way. Nice pic. :D

All I have to say is that before you make an opinion about global warming, you need to get proof that it is or is not happening. Don't just assume that Al Gore is telling the truth and that he has no hidden agenda, and don't just turn a blind eye to the world around you. Based on what I have observed, I have come to the conclusion that there is minor climate change. However, I have not yet seen proof that this climate change is going to be catastrophic. Several things to keep in mind are that the people who are researching climate are not above bribery, by both the oil companies and the environmental groups, and that these organizations are not above bribing scientists to prove a point. Another thing to remember is that modern science is NOT perfect. Anyone who has taken a science class knows how easy it is to make mistakes. This may explain why thirty years ago scientists were predicting an ice age. Also, if you have taken IB Math Studies, or any math class that studies statistics, you should be aware that it is very difficult to predict data outside the known range of data. This means that we can predict the temperature on a given day ten years ago with relative accuracy, but we cannot accurately predict the temperature ten years from now. It is my opinion that global warming is happening, but that it is nowhere near as catastrophic as we are led to believe. Also, I believe that there may be benefits from global warming, such as increased crop production is colder areas. I do support all efforts to clean up the earth, because whether is causes global warming or not, smog sucks, and gas prices these days are going to force us to develop more efficient cars and new sources of energy. The final thing to remember is that this is my opinion, not fact. You all need to develop your own positions based on the observations you've made.

Facts can also be deceiving. Keep that in mind. You can think a whole plan through, facts, statistics and everything and it could still come down on you and kill you. I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, I'm just saying that facts can and will be deceiving.

Edited by HMSChocolate

Yes really. Global warming is melting. Not freezing. That means no new ice age. Even if it does mean freezing in some/most areas, it's not gonna end the world as we know it. It will never do it, but it might lead to it. Although I'm not quite sure how global warming is gonna create an earthquake...(according to revelation). Global warming itself is not gonna kill us all.

O! by the way. Nice pic. :D

Look, global warming can (emphasis on can) be the CAUSE of a new ice age. See, the problem is that when huge chunks of ice melt into the ocean as is happening right now, and the world temperature also affecting the water temperature, what they suspect might happen is that streams carrying hot water, such as the gulf stream (look it up on wikipedia/conservapedia if you're unfamiliar with it) will die out or change its route. If the gulf stream would die, we wouldn't get hot air carried into Scandinavia anymore, thus effectively causing an ice age.

Guest dragonb111
Look, global warming can (emphasis on can) be the CAUSE of a new ice age. See, the problem is that when huge chunks of ice melt into the ocean as is happening right now, and the world temperature also affecting the water temperature, what they suspect might happen is that streams carrying hot water, such as the gulf stream (look it up on wikipedia/conservapedia if you're unfamiliar with it) will die out or change its route. If the gulf stream would die, we wouldn't get hot air carried into Scandinavia anymore, thus effectively causing an ice age.

Even if I cared about Global Warming, I'm saying that it's not gonna end the world. Who gives a care about another ice age anyhow? It isn't gonna happen. Unless there's a metaphor in revelation stating that there's gonna be an ice age in the end of the world, I'm not buying it.

Even if I cared about Global Warming, I'm saying that it's not gonna end the world. Who gives a care about another ice age anyhow? It isn't gonna happen. Unless there's a metaphor in revelation stating that there's gonna be an ice age in the end of the world, I'm not buying it.

Seriously, I don't get it. Deus asked you some good questions about stuff like why does God allow famine, AIDS, poverty etc. and you answer that God doesn't influence stuff like that. Why is it that God then suddenly does influence one thing, global warming, another phenomenon at least partially caused by humans? Faith can't answer that, now can it?

I have to say to those who do not believe that Global warming is an issue for concern; you just do not want to think it's real because of your ignorance. I did not really think of it as an issue but when I started IB Environmental Systems, this issue struck me as one of the major issues the world must face.

And dragonb111 an ice age is highly likely maybe not to us but to the newer generations that are to come. You are just taking the old "bush" view on the subject of this issue; I would recommend you to look more into the issue rather than just taking up such an absurd view.

you know i think that global warming would have happened regardless of the huge crabon emissions. i think, like i have said before, its a cycle, the earth gets really hot and then really cold, i mean there has been more then one ice age and in a book i read, it stated that the earths' tempratures have risen in the past too

and how did god get into a disscusion regarding global warming >.<

Edited by missrunway

Guest dragonb111
Seriously, I don't get it. Deus asked you some good questions about stuff like why does God allow famine, AIDS, poverty etc. and you answer that God doesn't influence stuff like that. Why is it that God then suddenly does influence one thing, global warming, another phenomenon at least partially caused by humans? Faith can't answer that, now can it?

From my good buddy. Try to prove that God does influence global warming.

I have to say to those who do not believe that Global warming is an issue for concern; you just do not want to think it's real because of your ignorance. I did not really think of it as an issue but when I started IB Environmental Systems, this issue struck me as one of the major issues the world must face.

And dragonb111 an ice age is highly likely maybe not to us but to the newer generations that are to come. You are just taking the old "bush" view on the subject of this issue; I would recommend you to look more into the issue rather than just taking up such an absurd view.

What about global cooling? A couple years ago, the government was worried about that instead. They've been switching between the two ever since.

you know i think that global warming would have happened regardless of the huge crabon emissions. i think, like i have said before, its a cycle, the earth gets really hot and then really cold, i mean there has been more then one ice age and in a book i read, it stated that the earths' tempratures have risen in the past too

and how did god get into a disscusion regarding global warming >.<

I agree, I think that it's just a cycle the earth goes through,.

God came into this discussion when I stated God wouldn't allow the earth to destroy itself.

Guest dragonb111
lolz thats not what i mean. i man god and global warming are like two very different things and i don't think they relate with each other. i think you are being a tad too serious about the god stuff

Not really. I/you/anyone can insert God into everything. It's true. I use it all the time.

It is my opinion that global warming is happening, but that it is nowhere near as catastrophic as we are led to believe. Also, I believe that there may be benefits from global warming, such as increased crop production is colder areas.

Look into it again, that's actually not what they predict: I come from a cold country, and I can tell you, we sure as hell haven't benefited from having warm summers before.

Guest dragonb111
Look into it again, that's actually not what they predict: I come from a cold country, and I can tell you, we sure as hell haven't benefited from having warm summers before.

You're not near the equator. That's just how earth works if you ask me.

From my good buddy. Try to prove that God does influence global warming.

You should look up this word in Wikipedia: Contradiction

What about global cooling? A couple years ago, the government was worried about that instead. They've been switching between the two ever since.

Well I sure haven't heard of it. Perhaps you'd like to link me to a discussion/article where the government appears to be worried about this.

Guest dragonb111
You should look up this word in Wikipedia: Contradiction

Well I sure haven't heard of it. Perhaps you'd like to link me to a discussion/article where the government appears to be worried about this.

Look up Global Cooling on wikipedia

Why look up contradiction on wikipedia?

...it refers primarily to a conjecture during the 1970s of imminent cooling of the Earth's surface and atmosphere along with a posited commencement of glaciation. This hypothesis never had significant scientific support, but gained temporary popular attention due to press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understandings of ice age cycles and a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s. Scientific consensus is that the Earth has not durably cooled, but undergone a period of global warming in the 20th century.

To be honest, I wouldn't say the 1970s count as the "last few years".

Why look up contradiction on wikipedia?

I think it should be obvious enough.

Guest dragonb111
To be honest, I wouldn't say the 1970s count as the "last few years".

I think it should be obvious enough.

All I'm saying is that it could be cycle.

Smack me and call me stupid because I really have no idea...

No seriously-smack me and call me stupid.

haha. this thread makes me laugh.

seriously, if you don't know anything about the topic- just shut up and if you want to learn about it- ask. don't pretend you know everything and concede in the end- its just really stupid.

it amazes me how you dragonb111 says:

Unless there's a metaphor in revelation stating that there's gonna be an ice age in the end of the world, I'm not buying it.

coz yeah. everything that happens to the world is in some way written in the book of revelation. *sarcasm*

I totally agree with purplestarfish, just shut up if you don't know anything about it.

I would say that i am criticall to the "global-warming hype" that some people seem to have.

But as even the UN climat panel thinks that global warming is happening then sure i can buy it, i doubt i am smarter then those guys anyways.

And talking of benifits of global warming, i'm srry but i do not really buy that, sure there might be some but if you see what catastrophy can happen in the future then i would say that i am not willing to risk that just for some small benifits.

Also i am worried about the possibility of an ice-age, this would basically destroy nothern europe completly and i kinda like it here so far.

It would take mankind a long time to recover from this disaster and there would probebly be some war resulting of this, people have to go somewhere if they can't stay. And it is not easy to evacuate a country, not even if you would have 100 years the time...

• 3 months later...