Tips to get a 7 in ECO HL

well, for tests and stuff, our teacher usually says that 75 - 80 % on tests is a 7. and then for the exam, the same thing applies.

it's hard to tell what the grade boundaries are since they change every year with the IBO.

practice your diagrams and know your theories.. then you can easily apply it with different questions and stuff :)

especially with evaluation questions - think outside the box and bring in long run/short run problems/solutions etc.

if you need anything more, just ask! :D

• Like 3

The tips above are very good tips :D

Also remember that your IA is worth 20% of your grade (I think that's what it is for HL). So aim high for those as well in case your exam doesn't go as well as you planned and you need a good mark to fall back on to get a 7.

Remember when you write your papers there isn't one correct answer, there are many listed in the markscheme. They also reward candidates who may have written about something not in the markscheme but still is a valid answer. So as long as your answer makes sense and you've explained it well it should be fine :P Also try to stay on topic when answering questions. It's tempting to try to include lots of different concepts but they have to relate back to what the question was originally!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this threat, not sure if I'm too late but I will try.

I would say notes really come in handy especially when you revise for your final exam.

What I did was I summarized materials learnt in each section of the syllabus. I had all the important terms, diagrams and point of evaluation listed. And I'm quite a lazy person, haha, I know I am not capable of revising economics to the point where I know every little details. So in addition to notes after each section in the syllabus, I draw a mind map. The topic being the section in the syllabus itself e.g. Macroeconomics. Then I branched out into big sub-topics such as unemployment. Then I simply branch off again, but this time with only main points that I know about unemployment such as diagrams of shifts in curves. When I study, I simply look at the mind map, know the main ideas and pretty much bullcrap the rest :blum: But each thing I talked about I support it with a diagram or evidence from the texts.

Most of my friend made notecards and practice definitions but that didn't really work for me, partly because I am too lazy to be making notecards :blush: I simply wrote terms and definition and revise them from time to time. This should have the same effect as notecards.

However, I noticed most people get lost in the details of the course. When it comes to tests, most people just basically "throw up" information on the test. They wrote down everything they know about the question or anything related to it!

Simply avoid that by plan your answer before you write them. I use bullet points when I plan. I outlined the 2-3 terms that need to be defined, the main concept I need to touch on with a rough diagram of that concept. If there is evaluation I created a 3x5 table. 3 rows are the 3 main stakeholders such as consumer, firm and government. The 5 columns are Positive outcome, Negative outcome, Short term, Long term, and evidence from the article. (Referring to paper 3)

Edited by toeynawa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just about to start my revision and just wanted someone to confirm that ONLY 3 SECTIONS ARE NEEDED.

My Econ teacher is not really a teacher and is therefore pretty useless...

Actually you mean 4 sections (including Introduction Economics). Well, I asked my teacher and she told me that only SOME people can go to the exams with 4/5 sections. If you are an excellent student, the best in your class, you get 100% in papers and your teacher trusts you, then yes, you can go without having studied, for example, Development Economics. But honestly it will be good for you to spend about 2-3 hours just taking a look at what the chapter is about. Most of the things have already been covered in previous chapters and it is always good to have a "baladeur" in case something happens during the exam. Good luck :)

• Like 1