november 2008 and may 2009 prescribed title #8

ibi

hi

im kind of not sure how you would approach this prescribed title...can you please give me some ideas to how i might be able to outline it?

To understand something you need to rely on your own experience and culture. Does this mean that it is imposible to have objective knowledge?

Thanks for any help you give.

• 4 months later...
hi

im kind of not sure how you would approach this prescribed title...can you please give me some ideas to how i might be able to outline it?

To understand something you need to rely on your own experience and culture. Does this mean that it is imposible to have objective knowledge?

Thanks for any help you give.

I was thinking of looking into cultural relativism (which is easily found on the good old wikipedia btw) and i also think that i may look at maths and the arts of AoK and maybe all four of the WoK. i really don't know either, but i do quite like the title. for me, it was between number 8 and 5.

i'm doing this title. so yes, cultural relativism. i'm also talking about history, arts, maths, ethics and all four WoK. It is a pretty good title imo: you get to discuss how subjectivity ''blocks'' our view of reality and our position towards knowledge in almost every AoK and the WoK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm beginning to do some research for my TOK topic, but I can't find any good online sources. My topic is : To understand something, you need to rely on your own experience and culture. Does this mean that it is impossible to have objective knowledge?

Any ideas for an approach?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

The Topic asks: 'to understand something you need to rely on your own experience and culture. Does this mean that it is impossible to have objective knowledge?"

I believe that it is impossible to have objective knowledge. everything must be subjective knowledge. although knowledge is a way of knowing, it can never be universal and constant for every individual. For example, person A may claim that the sky is 'blue'. Person B, however, may claim that the sky is not 'blue', but it is 'sky blue'. The two persons can claim that both statements are fact, but in reality, they're not, they're personal intrepretations of facts.

my essay is due by the end of November sometime, so before I finalise it, I just wanted to see what others may think about this issue so I can gain other people's perspectives and more.

It'll help if you include any and all comments!

Thanks a bunch!

The Topic asks: 'to understand something you need to rely on your own experience and culture. Does this mean that it is impossible to have objective knowledge?"

I believe that it is impossible to have objective knowledge. everything must be subjective knowledge. although knowledge is a way of knowing, it can never be universal and constant for every individual. For example, person A may claim that the sky is 'blue'. Person B, however, may claim that the sky is not 'blue', but it is 'sky blue'. The two persons can claim that both statements are fact, but in reality, they're not, they're personal intrepretations of facts.

my essay is due by the end of November sometime, so before I finalise it, I just wanted to see what others may think about this issue so I can gain other people's perspectives and more.

It'll help if you include any and all comments!

Thanks a bunch!

ya thats true. everybody has their own version and way of acquiring knowledge. it depends on cultural background, etc etc. u dont have to be educated to have knowledge

• 1 month later...

hmm yup, but i thought about it again, but by analysing a specific subject such as math, there is objective knowledge. in this sense, there is no such thing as a subjective knowledge. it is not based on culture that we know that 1+1=2, and thus, this provides a great example to having subjective knowledge.

for your essay, is anyone defining 'knowledge'?

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking of looking into cultural relativism (which is easily found on the good old wikipedia btw) and i also think that i may look at maths and the arts of AoK and maybe all four of the WoK. i really don't know either, but i do quite like the title. for me, it was between number 8 and 5.

How would you incorporate the ways of knowing in your essay?

• 4 weeks later...
Gwib: I recommend you contrast it with something like Art which is culturally dependent.

To all: You should definitely look into ethnocentrism as this is definitely what this topic demands.

Would you say ethnocentrism is as subjective as relativism or mor objectove .... im really stuck on that one..

and does anyne know how to struce it?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any good examples for some sort of specific traditions specific to a certain culture?

I really like this topic, yet when I look at what material the teacher has given my class, there really is not much that pertains to culture.

Are there any good sources that detail some problems of having objectivity towards certain cultures or the diffuculty in understanding something because you are trying to fit in into the perception your culture instilled into you?