A grand realization

Chuck10112

Something I found quite intriguing is that when I study for memory I am able to retain knowledge best when I go over information in my head during times when I'm not engaged in mental activity (i.e. riding the bus to and from school, cleaning my room,eating, at church... just kidding about church) I have found that when I maximize my brain's resources during times when it would otherwise be inactive I actually remember information better when it comes time to use it (i.e. tests and quizzes) as oppose to the old fashion way of sitting down and studying a subject for an hour or two and then never thinking about what you've studied after you're done.

Because of this realization I don't even take notes anymore (I still take lecture notes but not notes from text) I simply read the text slowly for understanding then go over what I've read in my head. If I forget or am not sure about anything that I've read I go back and reread those parts; I repeat this process untill I feel I have a solid grasp of the information I've read. I never write anything down. During random moments when my brain isn't conciously engaged I go over about the information I've read in my head, and again if I feel there is something I'm forgetting I go back to the text and read up on those parts. It's a continual process. I think it's much better than the conventional way of studying which involves sitting at a desk for an hour or two simply rewriting information from one source (textbook) to another (loose leaf paper), or even worse, continually rereading information (cramming) hoping that it will be ingrained into your brain.

Experts agree that the best way to learn anything is to study it little by little over a well spread time interval, and that's exactly what my new method of studying allows.

In IB we get so worked up over all the work we have to do that sometimes (at least based on what I have seen at my school) we forget to actually take the time to learn the material.

I remeber my first year in IB I had to write a research paper on Ho Chi Minh. I didn't procastinate, I spent a good week writing the paper. When I turned the paper in my instructor asked me what I thought about Ho Chi Minh. I was completely blank. I realized that despite the time I had spent working on this paper I hadn't really taken the time to slow down and actually learn about Ho Chi Minh. I was just focused on getting the assignment done, and that's when I realized I needed to make a change.

I hope you guys will try out this study strategy.

This is kinda like what I do. To study I don't spend hours reading the material, but like ten minutes just reviewing a summary of what the test is on. If I do this twice or thrice then presto I know the info. Cramming never helps me, but taking the studying and breaking it up, that helps. Also, I found it helpful that if I go over the material (like reading the chapter in the text book and/or working out a few practice problems) before we learn it in class then I'm not so frantic when it comes to the new info and I can concentrate on understanding the finer points of the lesson, just an extra tip.

Also, I found it helpful that if I go over the material (like reading the chapter in the text book and/or working out a few practice problems) before we learn it in class then I'm not so frantic when it comes to the new info and I can concentrate on understanding the finer points of the lesson, just an extra tip.

I also use to do that when I was younger, but then the material got so difficult and convoluted that I began struggling just to get the “big picture” of the lesson. Before I started studying this way I never really was able to learn the finer points of a lesson, now I’m able to.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest dragonb111

This hasn't worked for me and never will. I just need notes. Without them, I fail every test. I don't want to go through that experience ever again...