The Model UN Thread

davshere

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How much of MUN counts for CAS? For example, could you count the hours spent researching about your country and writing clauses for resolutions to submit at a conference? Who could sign off on those hours (since they would most likely be at home and done without any supervision given that during weekly meetings there usually isn't enough time for all of this)?

How much of MUN counts for CAS? For example, could you count the hours spent researching about your country and writing clauses for resolutions to submit at a conference? Who could sign off on those hours (since they would most likely be at home and done without any supervision given that during weekly meetings there usually isn't enough time for all of this)?

Mun counts for CAS as long as you take permission from the coordinator. That is what my coordinator do. She sends me the dates of MUN via emails and then I decide whether I go or not. So do take part in Muns once your CAS hours starts.

At my school, everything you did in MUN, including preparation, counted as CAS. That means that researching your country, writing resolutions, lobbying, etc. counts. However, the social evenings and balls (if there are any at the MUNs you're going to participate in) do clearly not count, for obvious reasons ;) As for who would sign the papers, I'd say the MUN coordinator (if your school has one) or the teacher(s) that travel with you. If that's not feasible, the CAS coordinator is a safe bet, though, at least at my school, other participants from your school is also a solution.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

MUN is the greatest CAS activity - 

Yale MUN is pretty good, although Milan MUN isn't that great. Great city, but meh conference. 

Overall do MG (model government conferences) tend to be more challenging than MUN conferences? I've attended both and would argue that the MUN requires less in-depth background knowledge, but maybe there are some really crazy MUN conferences that are also incredibly engrossing. 

Edited by John Hoose

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...