Type II - Fish Production

Noxen

define variables simply means something like let x be mass, let y be year, or something along those lines.

i can't comment much about parameters as i'm not so sure what it actually is, but if i were you i'd introduce my parameters when i start to model the function. the order of you answering the questions doesn't matter much as long as you include everything they want to see in your portfolio.

plot the data points means draw a graph using your data.

the formula... I'm not sure. read the whole thread to check out what people said about it.

• 2 months later...

It seems the model function to fit the data points is a periodic function of the form similar to:

y = a sin(bx + c) + d

However, the amplitude of the function decreases when x increases. There is a hint saying that "consider a combination of functions".

Anyone has idea on what combination of function it is to get a periodic function of decreasing amplitude?

Peter

Anyone got any new ideas on how to find the suitable functions for each table.

For the first 2 I have found a polynomial equation that fits the points almost exactly.

However, for the third one i cant seem to find one. Is there other ways of doing the first 2 without

using polynomial equations but by using sin/cos or something similiar any help would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Anyone got any new ideas on how to find the suitable functions for each table.

For the first 2 I have found a polynomial equation that fits the points almost exactly.

However, for the third one i cant seem to find one. Is there other ways of doing the first 2 without

using polynomial equations but by using sin/cos or something similiar any help would be much appreciated.

what is the degree for the polynomial eq. dat u used??

I dont get how this works. Can we define a function for each table? Or do we have to combine all the functions together? And if so, how do we do that?

From the question, it stated 'plot the data points from the table on a graph. so i would suggest only one graph...I'm not conformed yet, though.you can use Excel or Geogebra...I still don't know what suitable models should I use that have similar trends...I wish someone colud help me on this...

@3bbasi12

you are asked to combine functions so I guess you could just model a function for each table.

@Mija

I know right? :(

for the third one... I guess we could go with cosine although it still won't really fit well.

good usage of technology btw (Y)

I was thinking of using sin(x)/x. but i could not figure out how can i combine the functions together? any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Data from the first table:

Looks like tangent graph. I suggest modelling a tangent function whose general formula is y=a*tan(bx+c).

Data from second table:

Quite random, but it still looks like a sine function with general formula y=a*sin(bx+c) where a is negative.

Data from third table:

I honestly don't know! It's very random. The easiest would be cos though. But I'm not sure.

Hi. :)

I just wanted to ask, the data that you are referring to, is it the data from the total mass of fish caught in the sea or is this data from the fish farms? sorry, im kinda confused :/

thanks.